C1 provisional licence (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Downsizing and getting it re-registered is possibly going to be subject to the same admin delays.

Just an idea, probably of no interest, but do you have a friend with a C1 who could drive it to a campsite for you so you could at least get some use, otherwise I fear it's going to be a long, long time.

Personally I think it is disgraceful for a vendor not to check you can actually use the vehicle before taking your money - any reputable salesman knows the score.
Why should a vendor check your licence before selling the MH? Would you expect them to inspect everyone's licences!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Why should a vendor check your licence before selling the MH? Would you expect them to inspect everyone's licences!
Yes actually. How on earth did the test drive happen? Are people foolish enough to buy vehicles without trying them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I think any increase will only be for battery vehicles. If they do increase the weight for all vehicles I am sure the lower tax rate for heavier vans will cease.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
While this may not be very helpful to the thread owner, you are quite correct. The seller wants to make a sale and sadly it is a case of caveat emptor (I think that is how you spell it) 'buyer beware' although while looking at an American motorhome at a show, I was asked if I had a C1 licence.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
They don't need to check anything - simply ask the question. IMO not asking comes close to selling something not fit for purpose.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
bailey s aren't that heavy, are you sure you can't register and operate it at 3500kgs for now and don't carry as much water etc
Don't think that would work..... is it not max gross weight of vehicle and not actual weight that is relevant??? I.E. MGW over 3.5t =C1 license.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Not because they should check you have a licence, but if they sell you something you cannot use shouldn't there be a case for a "not fit for purpose" claim?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Don't think that would work..... is it not max gross weight of vehicle and not actual weight that is relevant??? I.E. MGW over 3.5t =C1 license.
You can downplate as well as uplate. If its new you may be able to get the dealer to register it as 3500kgs. This would solve the OPs immediate problem but mean he wouldn't be able to use the normal payload until he had passed his test and then uplated. However as TerryL said if its a used one then it still needs DVLA. Its not ideal but strange times are these.
You can downplate as well as uplate. If its new you may be able to get the dealer to register it as 3500kgs. This would solve the OPs immediate problem but mean he wouldn't be able to use the normal payload until he had passed his test and then uplated. However as TerryL said if its a used one then it still needs DVLA. Its not ideal but strange times are these.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Appreciate he can downplate as well as uplate. However apologys if i missread what you were saying.... You appeared to imply that even if vehicle registered as being over 3.5t he could legally drive it as long as he did not load it over 3.5t.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Appreciate he can downplate as well as uplate. However apologys if i missread what you were saying.... You appeared to imply that even if vehicle registered as being over 3.5t he could legally drive it as long as he did not load it over 3.5t.
No definitely not.
Downplating is not something I would normally advocate but I know from recent personal experience how dire DVLA are performing atm.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Hi and welcome. You don't need a CPC or tacho training. I have C+E because I regularly drive Artics.

1,If I was your age I would take a C not a C1 as I believe its pretty much the same cost but will mean if you ever decide to go bigger you will not be subject to the 7500kgs limit.

2 bailey s aren't that heavy, are you sure you can't register and operate it at 3500kgs for now and don't carry as much water etc?
Hth
Jon
That makes the most sense so the Motorhome can at least be enjoyed this year and then once licences sorted, upplate again Ok, it may be a bit restrictive and maybe might have to take the Motorhome AND a car on trips but better then camping on the driveway each weekend.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
They don't need to check anything - simply ask the question. IMO not asking comes close to selling something not fit for purpose.
I'm not so sure you could argue the same happens if you buy the wrong layout although in a way that's worse as it's harder to change than get a license. Theres also the test drive question and how did they get it home?. I don't think the op ever said they bought it unaware that they needed to upgrade their license just that it was proving more lengthy a process than they thought. You could hardly expect the vendor to check the length of wait at the DVLA

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I understand that if you do a downplate - or uprate - with say SvTech, then you can operate at the new agreed plate numbers before you get the updated V5C back as long as you have requested the change and it is with DVLA to process (so send the forms in recorded/special delivery so you have proof).

As far as saying the Vendor should ensure the driver has the right license to drive the vehicle they are buying, it is not their job to police that, however they should make it clear that an 'upgraded' licence is a requirement so the buyer is aware (many may not be).
I recently (less than a month ago) sold my Campervan conversion and in the advert I stated the weight and also stated that a C1 or C license category would be required to drive it. If someone was to buy it without a C/C1, that would not be any of my business (as it happens, the buyers had the appropriate license).

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm not so sure you could argue the same happens if you buy the wrong layout although in a way that's worse as it's harder to change than get a license. Theres also the test drive question and how did they get it home?. I don't think the op ever said they bought it unaware that they needed to upgrade their license just that it was proving more lengthy a process than they thought. You could hardly expect the vendor to check the length of wait at the DVLA
Agreed but good practice at least would suggest making sure it could be driven away legally. As for dealer liability that would depend on the questions asked by the purchaser.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back