C1 Medical delays (2 Viewers)

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
It's now 5 months since I sent off my 'post 70' driving licence application, and like all others seeking a C1 renewal have been told that they can't book medical examinations at present. I want to go abroad over the winter, leaving in November ro early December - does anyone have any info/latest experience on whether DVLA have started moving on this front, or not please?

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
My husband got his licence through on Saturday. He first applied in April.
He had his medical with drivers 4 you in July. He would normally have to do the stress test at the hospital but the DVLA contacted his GP instead. The new licence is only for a year but at least it runs from the end of September. So not too bad considering.
You can drive anyway if your application is already in but we wouldn't want to go abroad unless we had an actual licence but I know some do.

OP
OP
H
Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
Thanks - I shall remain hopeful, and write to my MP to see if he will give it a push.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
My husband got his licence through on Saturday. He first applied in April.
He had his medical with drivers 4 you in July. He would normally have to do the stress test at the hospital but the DVLA contacted his GP instead. The new licence is only for a year but at least it runs from the end of September. So not too bad considering.
You can drive anyway if your application is already in but we wouldn't want to go abroad unless we had an actual licence but I know some do.
Same here my licence arrived last week but only for 1 year. And they are accepting your medical you have all ready had next year.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
You will have given a 1 year auto renewal. Plus, I believe, as long as you have passed the medical and sent it off you are legal. ThTs my interpretation it I am usually wrong! 6 months doesn’t seem right - within the same time period mine came back I. 2 weeks.

OP
OP
H
Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
I did write to my MP and .... low and behold ACTION! DVLA got back to me within a few days with a letter saying I have to take the stress test (as last time). Rang today for an appointment but consultant's secretary noy available till Monday.

OH sent her application off about four weeks ago. Nothing to declare medically, no medications (other than a glass - or two - of red;)🍷🍷) when not driving. Her licence came back within two weeks. It took them nearly 4 weeks to even open my envelope, so things are improving!!!!!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I did write to my MP and .... low and behold ACTION! DVLA got back to me within a few days with a letter saying I have to take the stress test (as last time). Rang today for an appointment but consultant's secretary noy available till Monday.

OH sent her application off about four weeks ago. Nothing to declare medically, no medications (other than a glass - or two - of red;)🍷🍷) when not driving. Her licence came back within two weeks. It took them nearly 4 weeks to even open my envelope, so things are improving!!!!!!
& now they have shut down again due to the welsh closure

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I received my annual application forms to renew my hgv class 1 licence last week. They included the D4 medical forms but they don't need to be completed due to Covid. DVLA are extending licences for 12 months without the usual medical.
My new licence arrived yesterday.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They haven't shut down - just working from home again I would have thought.
Online is ok , as long as you stick to the 7am -7pm :unsure:
Anything that requires input from a person is suspended until the end of the welsh lockdown.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985

Please could you kindly explain what the stress test is for and what it requires.

OP
OP
H
Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
It's otherwise known as an exercise ECG. They wire you up as they do for an ordinary ECG then you have to go on a treadmill - 3 minutes at a slow rate, 3 minutes faster with an increased gradient then a final 3 minutes at a further increased gradient. As with any ECG they look at the reults and decide if you're OK or not. It's called a Bruce Protocol Test and as well as testing if your heart is OK it is used for elite atheletes - but at the higher levels ... it has 7 in all!

If you're seriously not OK they will stop the test before you do yourself a mischief.

If you Google the 'Bruce Protocol Test' and 'exercise stress test' etc you'll learn all about it.

If you pass it you can drive a bus or fly an aeroplane --- in the same way Eric Morecambe could play the piano!

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
D4 medical done this am and all good. Butchers and dog spring to mind.
Monday will send all the paperwork off to our friends in Swansea,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and then, the long wait for the C1 to arrive.......inshallah.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Pete had his medical the other day, he's 73 in January so hence needs to renew his C1 again.

OP
OP
H
Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
Following my MP chasing up DVLA I received letter asking me to contact the consultant's secretary at the hospital. Yes, she had also received a letter from DVLA but the private hospital weren't doing the stress tests so she would ask if it can be done at the NHS hospital. To my surprise, yesterday, just as I was about to chase them up I received a call to make a booking! :giggle::giggle: It's in early December and I have to go for s covid test 3 days before and self-isolate until I go for the stress test. All being well I should have a licence 6-7 months after applying - ready to head abroad whenever we're allowed!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Following my MP chasing up DVLA I received letter asking me to contact the consultant's secretary at the hospital. Yes, she had also received a letter from DVLA but the private hospital weren't doing the stress tests so she would ask if it can be done at the NHS hospital. To my surprise, yesterday, just as I was about to chase them up I received a call to make a booking! :giggle::giggle: It's in early December and I have to go for s covid test 3 days before and self-isolate until I go for the stress test. All being well I should have a licence 6-7 months after applying - ready to head abroad whenever we're allowed!
I am guessing it is one thing that heart consultants can do. You don't need an inpatient bed or ICU care. I hope you get the treadmill rather than the ultrasound on a reclining bicycle that I got !

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I'm a bit confused by all this talk of stress tests and medicals. On gov.uk it states that over 70's licences are to be automatically extended for 1year. Have I misunderstood?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I'm a bit confused by all this talk of stress tests and medicals. On gov.uk it states that over 70's licences are to be automatically extended for 1year. Have I misunderstood?
It says all licences but I imagine this press release passed many by as it did me. It still might be tricky when travelling abroad though as you have to produce a valid licence if asked.

OP
OP
H
Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
I think that may apply to people over 70 (or even under if they are doing the 10 year renewal) who want an ordinary 'car' licence but have medical problems to declare, and 'working' lorry and bus drivers who all have to have a medical whether they have health 'history' or not.

Those with grandfather/mother C1 rights are, I believe, considered as unimportantl and therefore largely ignored, so don't [well certainly I didn't] get the 1 year extension.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I certainly agree that C1 entitlement is pretty low down the priorities list for DVLA, but the website seems pretty clear that ANY expiring licence is automatically extended for 1 year.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Mine was due end of September had medical and sent off all paper work and received a licence back for 1 year with a following letter stating they would use this years medical when i apply next year. Three years ago i had to have the treadmill stress test but this time my doctor put on medical unable to do treadmill owing to arthritis in knee, so will see what happens next year.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It says all licences but I imagine this press release passed many by as it did me. It still might be tricky when travelling abroad though as you have to produce a valid licence if asked.
It's an EU thing, licence renewed for a year but no new licence issued. So traveling abroad you will be OK until 31st Dec after that we are no longer in the EU.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Can only speak for my experience.
I let my C1 entitlement lapse Dec last at 70 as i didn't think i would need it again.
Ok course it do.
Made inquiries to have the C1 reinstated.
Was told that a medical was needed.
That was done yesterday by D4D in Chester, very simple and took about 15 mins max. Mainly eyesight and a Few questions on medication etc.
D4 and D2 forms now complete and will be sent off to DVLA tomorrow to have the C1 reinstated. Of course i am expecting a long wait, however i am advised that as i have passed the medical i am allowed to drive up to 7500 Ks.
The D2 and D4 forms were collected from my local village post office. tomorrow to have the C1 reinstated.

Nov 6, 2016
pembrokshire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
Yes this is what I did thinking at 70 I would not need c1 but things change so got medical and eyes test sent forms of to my surprise just over 2 weeks license back for 3 years

OP
OP
H
Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
Mine was due end of September had medical and sent off all paper work and received a licence back for 1 year with a following letter stating they would use this years medical when i apply next year. Three years ago i had to have the treadmill stress test but this time my doctor put on medical unable to do treadmill owing to arthritis in knee, so will see what happens next year.

I think you'll find there is a way they can give you drugs which will simulate the effects of stress on your heart, then they do the same monitoring with the ECG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back