C1 medical at D4Drivers. What do the jury think? (2 Viewers)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I had a poor experience with D4Drivers but in their defence it was the Doctor‘s first day and they did refund my money. I then arranged a more expensive appointment with my GP, who was familiar with the form and had time to fill it in carefully. I sent my forms off on 22/12/20 and the license was approved on 18/01/21, which in my opinion is a very reasonable turnaround.

The D4 is a medical report on which the DVLA have to base their decision. I do not think many Doctors would risk their registration by providing wrong information but D4D have to rely on the applicant for much of the information, whereas the GP has the full history. An applicant could easily hide prescription drug history and previous afflictions from D4D but not from their GP. It therefore would not surprise me if the GP report got an easier passage. The DVLA had to suspend one of the other low cost outfits which may also have affected their confidence in non GP reports. Who knows? Only the DVLA can say but what they are printing on form could be a hint.
the DVLA say on their D4 form that not using your usual doctor may cause delays.

I think getting the form in with more than 56 days remaining on your old license may help speed things up. With more than 56 days remaining no photograph is needed and it appears that they can then simply run the 3 years on from the original expiry date.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I'm having a medical by D4 on the 15th in sunny Llandudno, some comments have said to check the form is filled correctly before leaving, is there any filled in examples to view on line to see just how they should be done?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
DVLA are clamping down on iffy medical i know they won't accept doctors on wheels medical forms but I hadn't heard anything about d4

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Does that make you 72 years of age now @TheDotties? ;)

Well done with the duration of HGV medicals after 65. (y)

Jock. :)
Shush! Keep it quiet😄 Yes, 72 now, but this will the last time. I’ve held HGV for 54 years and PSV for 50.
Just used now for vintage buses, but the licence isn’t strictly needed for that.
Well deduced! You’re promoted to LoD😁

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
i used them in December 2020, all went OK and had my C+E renewal back very quickly. Never used my GP as they charge 3 times as much for the same info. I have now used them twice and will keep on renewing with them every 5 years to try and save as much as i can :)

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Apart from being less expensive, D4drivers or doctors-on-wheels tend to be more practised in filling the forms. For this reason you are likely to have it done correctly; your GP will look at it and say what is this all about, I’ve never done one of these before! Though some will have had a bad experience with the cheaper ones, too.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Apart from being less expensive, D4drivers or doctors-on-wheels tend to be more practised in filling the forms. For this reason you are likely to have it done correctly; your GP will look at it and say what is this all about, I’ve never done one of these before! Though some will have had a bad experience with the cheaper ones, too.
My GP was very familiar with the form and had a sensible time slot to do it properly. If your medical history is straight forward then I guess the D4D time slot is sufficient.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
My own doctor, yes did fill form incorrectly

Jun 19, 2018
Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1999
I didn’t use my GP and I have been waiting for many weeks. But I don’t know why. It would be interesting to know if using your GP would ‘speed’ up the process.
I have recently renewed mine to keep C1 etc. Went through own GP and it took just over 4 weeks. The DVLA strike week was in the middle. My GP didn’t charge me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Medical update

Had my medical yesterday by D4Drivers and am happy to report that the young lady doctor pronounced me to still be alive.
All the paperwork completed including eye test and all OK.
Very quick and simple and £55 rather than £125+++ my GP would have charged.
Now to get all the forms together and sent to DVLA.

Richard.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
One more question for you knowledgable lot.
The requirement for a photo or not seems somewhat confusing.
The forms and notes say that a new photo is required if your licence has expired. Mine was due to expire last November but, due to Covid, it was extended by 11 months so technically has not yet expired. The licence card though shows it expiring last November.

Should I send a new photo???
What do the jury think?

As always, thanks for your help.

Richard.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
they sent and asked me for a photo and £17,,,, which cost me £19+ as i dont do cheques had to get postal order. then refunded the £17 by cheque as not required

but who knows but the DVLA desk person who gets your application......

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I'm having a medical by D4 on the 15th in sunny Llandudno, some comments have said to check the form is filled correctly before leaving, is there any filled in examples to view on line to see just how they should be done?
it's all processed very quickly so I think iy is unlikely you will be given an opportunity - I was told to take the application form with me so you can actually fill out your address, dob etc prior to the meeting which helps.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Mine was due to expire last November but, due to Covid, it was extended by 11 months so technically has not yet expired. The licence card though shows it expiring last November.

What do the jury think?
Under the circumstances, I would most definitely include a new mugshot Richard. ;)

Well done re the medical. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I'd include a photo, along with a note saying isn't required due to extension.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
One more question for you knowledgable lot.
The requirement for a photo or not seems somewhat confusing.
The forms and notes say that a new photo is required if your licence has expired. Mine was due to expire last November but, due to Covid, it was extended by 11 months so technically has not yet expired. The licence card though shows it expiring last November.

What do the jury think?

As always, thanks for your help.

Richard.
You should have a specific request on thr front page of the renewal form, top right, stating that you require a photo. Otherwise permission to use your passport photo is normally sufficient.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would put a photo in as they accept DIY ones so no hassle, last thing you want is for them to reject the application and the waiting times starts again.

As for you lot who sent in money you obviously didn't read the confusing contradictry DVLA website properly. :rofl:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I would put a photo in as they accept DIY ones so no hassle, last thing you want is for them to reject the application and the waiting times starts again.

As for you lot who sent in money you obviously didn't read the confusing contradictry DVLA website properly. :rofl:
Sadly neither did DVLA 🤔🙄☺️☺️

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back