C1 medical at D4Drivers. What do the jury think? (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Got to have my medical for C1 renewal and last time used my usual doctor. It was a very thorough check but the cost was £100+.
D4Drivers are £50 inc vision check and are usually very quick.
BUT........the DVLA say on their D4 form that not using your usual doctor may cause delays.
I don't have a 'difficult' medical history so don't anticipate any problems, but has anyone had problems with D4Drivers?

Thanks in advance. (y)

Richard.

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
I didn’t use my GP and I have been waiting for many weeks. But I don’t know why. It would be interesting to know if using your GP would ‘speed’ up the process.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I used D4 and wished I had payed the extra to my GP. I do not have a chequered medical history but the D4 doctor made a minor mistake on my D4 form.
It took 8 months to get it sorted and D4 were not interested. They would not do anything they expected me to get written confirmation from my GP that thier doctor had made a mistake even though I sent them a copy of the red penned D4 from DVLA.
They do not keep any copies or records of your visit other than name and appointment time / date.

I most certainly don't have deep pockets but will not use them ever again.

All I would say is whoever you use be sure you are familiar with the D4 form and check it before you leave the doctor.

You pays your money and takes your chance as they say.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As long as you can honestly say you have no medical problems then as far as I'm concerned D4D are as good as any. Used them myself last renewal, will do the same in future and in fact the wife's 70+ C category is now due so we'll do the same for her.

Last time I used my doctor for a medical (PCV) he made a significant error and I got TWO letters from DVLA telling me not to drive! It was an eyesight mistake so I visited my optician and they sorted it out for me, including a letter to DVLA who fortunately re-issued my licences straightaway.

But if you even suspect you might have a problem use your own GP who will best be able to offer the correct advice.

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
After a few weeks of submitting my D4 I received two forms for permission to contact my GP and consultants.
I was I could drive the MoHo if I feel I would get C1 but it was my responsibility! Class act the DVLA. Trust them I do not.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
My first medical at 70 was with GP. He didn't complete the form properly, so it was returned by DVLA. Eventually got it sorted after GP corrected his mistake.

Have since used D4Drivers on two occasions without any problems. I don't have any serious medical problems. Just double-check the form has been completed correctly before leaving the premises.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Doctor has to sign and date it as well a put his stamp on it. Myself I think in the end it is a lot less hassle to use your own doctor whether you are healthy enough or not. It is down the you to check it has been completed correctly.
ezee

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
I’ve used doctor on wheels for several years for my hgv medical with no problems, as DVLA no longer accept them , I have a medical with D4 drivers next Saturday .

Mickey.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
How do DVLA know who is your GP? Does one enter it on the D4, if so I cannot recollect that.

Geoff
The D4 form requires name, address and full contact details of your own doctor as well as details of examining doctor.

Richard.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I have used D4Drivers twice, once recently, and have had no problems. For the recent one I had an eye test at Specsavers, and the optician filled in the relevant section on the D4 form. The D4 doctor asked about my medical history, took blood pressure and reviewed some recent results which I had to provide myself (I'm on pills for blood pressure), and entered the name of my consultant at the hospital who could have OKed my being fit to drive. A couple of weeks later the licence arrived in the post, with all the C1 etc entitlements as before.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Me & the boss both used D4Drivers last year no problems, my mate used them as well no problems.
We both used them last year and no issue. All very efficient. However getting to your GP would have been an issue - impossible within a pandemic, plus if you managed to get an appointment more expensive. Then you would have to go for a separate test at the opticians for the eye test - more delay and more cost. D4 was just fine for both tests. Wouldn't ask them to do open heart surgery though.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
What happens if you do not have one?

Does not have to be British GP.

I had my D4 form filled in by my Polish Doctor(any EU-qualified Doctor was/is acceptable to DVLA) so presumably she put her name down as my GP and signed the form.

** NOTE My D4 was done before final Brexit on 31st Dec 2020, so I cannot vouch for whether DVLA still accept all EU Doctors' completion of the forms - check the D4 notes. I think they probably do because there are so many EU-qualified Doctors practising in UK)**

Geoff

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
My hubby used D4Drivers recently mainly because our Dr was not doing medicals and couldn't give us a date when they would resume. He had his eyes tested and New glasses the week before he went. Licence is still at DVLA as it doesn't run out until end of June.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Does not have to be British GP.

I had my D4 form filled in by my Polish Doctor(any EU-qualified Doctor was/is acceptable to DVLA) so presumably she put her name down as my GP and signed the form.

** NOTE My D4 was done before final Brexit on 31st Dec 2020, so I cannot vouch for whether DVLA still accept all EU Doctors' completion of the forms - check the D4 notes. I think they probably do because there are so many EU-qualified Doctors practising in UK)**

Geoff
The notes with the D4 say; “doctor must be GMC registered and licensed to practice in the United Kingdom or registered within the EU”

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for all the comments folks.
I'm going to ring our local medical practice on Tuesday to find out how soon and if I can get an appointment for a medical as well as the price.
If there’s going to be a very long delay or the price is daft I’ll try D4Drivers and hope for the best.
My licence expired last November but, because of Covid, had an automatic extension of 11 months. We are hoping to get over the channel in September so need my renewed licence before then.
Knowing the problems with getting GP appointments during the pandemic one would hope that the DVLA will be expecting many more drivers to be using other agencies and won’t put obstacles or delays in the way.

Richard.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I’ve used doctor on wheels for several years for my hgv medical with no problems, as DVLA no longer accept them , I have a medical with D4 drivers next Saturday .

Mickey.
Doctors on Wheels are and have been re-accepted by the DVLA for a long time.
I confirmed this with DoW many months ago.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Thanks for all the comments folks.
I'm going to ring our local medical practice on Tuesday to find out how soon and if I can get an appointment for a medical as well as the price.
If there’s going to be a very long delay or the price is daft I’ll try D4Drivers and hope for the best.
My licence expired last November but, because of Covid, had an automatic extension of 11 months. We are hoping to get over the channel in September so need my renewed licence before then.
Knowing the problems with getting GP appointments during the pandemic one would hope that the DVLA will be expecting many more drivers to be using other agencies and won’t put obstacles or delays in the way.

Richard.
I don't think you need to hope for the best in going through D4Drivers. Just so straightforward and above board.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Clarky. The last time I enquired with my GP for my HGV & PSV medical Richard, the charge was £135. :whatthe:
I got it done locally instead for £48. The last twice I used D4Drivers for £50 and £55 respectively.
I had an eye test with the results in my hand, and a urine sample, but the D4D Doc wasn't interested in them, saying that If I had any pre existing condition related to my heart or my lungs, he'd be going though me with a fine tooth comb. He was more interested in getting his £55 cash in hand before he began the medical. :LOL:

Good luck whichever route you go down
(y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Doctor has to sign and date it as well a put his stamp on it. Myself I think in the end it is a lot less hassle to use your own doctor whether you are healthy enough or not. It is down the you to check it has been completed correctly.
ezee

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Clarky Graham used D4Drivers for his medical in November. All went very smoothly. Paid £55. Would definitely recommend using them.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
My first medical at 70 was with GP. He didn't complete the form properly, so it was returned by DVLA. Eventually got it sorted after GP corrected his mistake.

Have since used D4Drivers on two occasions without any problems. I don't have any serious medical problems. Just double-check the form has been completed correctly before leaving the premises.
I had exactly the same from my doctor, paperwork tooing and froing about 6 times before dvla got it right and I got the licence back

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I’ve had 12 HGV/PSV Medicals since turning 45 (many moons ago) all with D4Drivers, never a problem either with them or DVLA.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back