Rally Chat C1 licence (1 Viewer)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
That sounds like the drug they use to stress the heart and increase output when you are having an angiogram (probe inside the heart via arteries in arm or leg)....... but I guess they can also use it when you are being viewed with ultrasound?

I have had several angiograms if you want to know about them but not a non-invasive technique like I am assuming this is?

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, I’m awaiting an appointment for a
Dobutamine stress echocardiogram to access fitness to drive.
Has any one out there had this test.
John.
Hi John, I’ve had similar last year. Look at this link.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Ah - I have had a couple of those too!
Slow walk on treadmill and then they incline it in stages and you have to walk faster to just about jogging speed.

First time = stopped after two minutes and I thought "was that it?"
Coronary stent then fitted as a result of their findings!!
Next time = test lasted about 15 to 20 minutes and wasn't pleasant but okay.

Don't be alarmed by my short story. Very glad they found the narrowed artery I had before it did any damage to me.

OP
OP
Chocy boy
Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
Ah - I have had a couple of those too!
Slow walk on treadmill and then they incline it in stages and you have to walk faster to just about jogging speed.

First time = stopped after two minutes and I thought "was that it?"
Coronary stent then fitted as a result of their findings!!
Next time = test lasted about 15 to 20 minutes and wasn't pleasant but okay.

Don't be alarmed by my short story. Very glad they found the narrowed artery I had before it did any damage to me.
No it’s not a treadmill test. They pump a drug into you. I think I would prefer a treadmill test.

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Graham. Was it very unpleasant.
Not at all John, they put a canular in your arm to put the drug in, it feels warm going in then you’ll feel a little short of breath which disappears in about a minute.
Your heart rate will rise which simulates you doing excersise. That’s where the similarity ends, I had a catscan on my heart then, you will be having some gel rubbed on your chest then a scanner, like when they scan a pregnant woman.
Nothing to worry about at all.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Not at all John, they put a canular in your arm to put the drug in, it feels warm going in then you’ll feel a little short of breath which disappears in about a minute.
Your heart rate will rise which simulates you doing excersise. That’s where the similarity ends, I had a catscan on my heart then, you will be having some gel rubbed on your chest then a scanner, like when they scan a pregnant woman.
It is if they find he is pregnant. :rofl:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm allergic to the gel - and to the adhesive pads.

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Really Interested in this as on Friday morning at 4.30 am I was awoken by sharp chest pains and being in the middle of nowhere deciding, probably very foolishly to drive home in my newly acquired Hymer.
Got home and demolished my front wall, it was a Bit wobbly anyway and wife took me to
A & E Shrewsbury anyway loads of tests and Monday transfered to Telford, looking like I have pneumonia and have suffered a heart attack.
So do I inform my insurance company now? I suppose Dvla can wait until we know whats happening.
Does anyone want to buy a 5.3 tonnes Hymer 680 starline s
With a scratch on the tow bar?

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Really Interested in this as on Friday morning at 4.30 am I was awoken by sharp chest pains and being in the middle of nowhere deciding, probably very foolishly to drive home in my newly acquired Hymer.
Got home and demolished my front wall, it was a Bit wobbly anyway and wife took me to
A & E Shrewsbury anyway loads of tests and Monday transfered to Telford, looking like I have pneumonia and have suffered a heart attack.
So do I inform my insurance company now? I suppose Dvla can wait until we know whats happening.
Does anyone want to buy a 5.3 tonnes Hymer 680 starline s
With a scratch on the tow bar?
I’m recovering from a quadruple bypass op and a mechanical heart valve fitted, and DVLA didnt need to know about that. The surgeon told me I just had to refrain from driving for 6 weeks then get my doctors permission to start driving again. I phoned my insurance company and they said they would put it on my file, but if the doctors told me it’s okay to drive, then they don’t need to be informed.

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I know that for under 3500kg the rules are not as strict but above 3500 kg and aged nearly 69 are they stricter?

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
I know that for under 3500kg the rules are not as strict but above 3500 kg and aged nearly 69 are they stricter?
I’m 69 AMD MoHo over 3.5 ton.. Maybe the difference is, although I had a very big Operation and replacement valve, I never had an heart attack, if I had I was told it would have been massive because of where the blockage was.

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Interesting, I suppose that I will only know whats happening when I have an angiogram.
Thanks
Yes most people have stents fitted after the angiogram, unless your unlucky like me and stents can’t be fitted.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Refrain from driving until you have had a chat with the cardiac doctors, sounds like you are still in hospital anyway. Once you have got a diagnosis and any treatment plan you can look at this guide. I think over 3500 kg is group 2.
If you have had a heart attack and you are coming up to 70 anyway, I know from experience that it will be difficult but not impossible to retain C1. The difficulty is the time it takes to get through the system
Wishing you a speedy revovery.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Interesting, I suppose that I will only know whats happening when I have an angiogram.
Thanks

Dont panic yet.. 👍
Had heart attack back in late 2014 while lying in bed.. and NO just lying there 😁😏 not "active" :rofl:
March 2015 by pass... Just a 6 week recommendation not to drive, DVLA did not need notification, insurance were told but had no interest. I was driving back to Spain within a few months.

Keep that van, at least for now. 👍

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
The dvla are positively nuts about getting folk off the road - i suspect its all to to do with the 15 min cities, electric cars and cycle lanes for non existant cyclists, having reached 70 last year i was subject to all sorts of nonsence about my c1 - because it seems they have categrised a c1 as a HGV we are supposed to be fit enough to work full time as a professional driver, 70 YR OLD PROFESSIONAL DRIVER - so i was forced to go for an exercise treadmill test which i passed but it put my heartrate upto 182 which i am informed may cause permamant heart damage to me - so i reason next time .. i just wont make it, one way or the other. It then took 10 months from the combined efforts of my local MP and even a Duchess in the House of Lords and Grant Shapps to get me my licence back. The reason ? my lazy doctor read a report that i had had a heart attack ( i had not ) but that was all it took to awake the DVLA from its covid slumber.
Oh another tip - dont bother with the companies who say they will do your renewal for your c1, all they do is talk to you and give you an eye test - anything on your health records and that little effort will be thrown in the bin and you have wasted your money. The only reason I ever found out what was going on was to get a freedom of information on my medical records. So if you have any kind of medical condition it will cause you trouble and time and money. It is your C1 they want - so if you simply apply on line for a renewal you will get it back but without a C1. So no more 3500+
if you are less than 70 they will leave you alone unless something happens. This is something happening now, when i had my REAL heart attack in 2009 - they fitted a stent and sent me home, but.. i contacted the DVLA back then and they were not interested at all - they simply advised i stop driving for a month - which i did - but that was it .

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The dvla are positively nuts about getting folk off the road - i suspect its all to to do with the 15 min cities, electric cars and cycle lanes for non existant cyclists, having reached 70 last year i was subject to all sorts of nonsence about my c1 - because it seems they have categrised a c1 as a HGV we are supposed to be fit enough to work full time as a professional driver, 70 YR OLD PROFESSIONAL DRIVER - so i was forced to go for an exercise treadmill test which i passed but it put my heartrate upto 182 which i am informed may cause permamant heart damage to me - so i reason next time .. i just wont make it, one way or the other. It then took 10 months from the combined efforts of my local MP and even a Duchess in the House of Lords and Grant Shapps to get me my licence back. The reason ? my lazy doctor read a report that i had had a heart attack ( i had not ) but that was all it took to awake the DVLA from its covid slumber.
Oh another tip - dont bother with the companies who say they will do your renewal for your c1, all they do is talk to you and give you an eye test - anything on your health records and that little effort will be thrown in the bin and you have wasted your money. The only reason I ever found out what was going on was to get a freedom of information on my medical records. So if you have any kind of medical condition it will cause you trouble and time and money. It is your C1 they want - so if you simply apply on line for a renewal you will get it back but without a C1. So no more 3500+
if you are less than 70 they will leave you alone unless something happens. This is something happening now, when i had my REAL heart attack in 2009 - they fitted a stent and sent me home, but.. i contacted the DVLA back then and they were not interested at all - they simply advised i stop driving for a month - which i did - but that was it .

That is because the D4 medical covers all categories from C1 up to C, buses Rigids and 44t artics.

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
not talking about the form the d4 - im saying a c1 is regarded as an hgv and so we have to be regarded as professional with all that encompasses.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
It's all to do with the bin lorry driver in Glasgow., years ago. Didn't state his medical issues and reapplied for a licence to drive an hgv.
Collapsed at the wheel and killed a pedestrian. Since then the dvla have tightened up on medical issues over 70
We are all suffering because of that case.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
I turned 70 and dvla removed C1 I have atrial fibrillation so had to go to doctors for medical and opticians for eye test, finally got my C1 back but it took 7 months ! I’m going to downsize to 3.5 so no more aggro getting another renewal with C1

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Oh yes! 😧

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
If you are driving privately and not for money you do not need CPC and Tachograph.
with respect you are confusing an actual truck job requirement and the gov/dvla specifying that a 3500+ van is regarded as a private hgv for tax purposes. |But you are quite correct - a motorhome does not require a tacho or cpc as a cpc is given after you have driven a lorry for more than 35 hours, and even our befuddled politicians realise a motohome is not driven professionaly. You cxan lay this one at the feet of the EU, as it was them that stopped automatic c1's in 1997.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Hi, I’m awaiting an appointment for a
Dobutamine stress echocardiogram to access fitness to drive.
Has any one out there had this test.
John.
Lost my C1 in October after i had the Dobutamine stress Echocardiogram test, owing to 3 areas of heart having slow blood return. I think they tested about 13 areas of the heart area with the scanner. I had the treadmill test when i was 70 passed ok at 73 had the 1 year extension owing to covid so applied again at 74 and waited 14 months before i had an appointment.
Managed to sell the Burstner 3 weeks ago pleased i only lost £1000 in 8 years so now down to 3500kg Bailey.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back