Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
If your own doctor does the medical do they report on any previous medical history which may instigate further investigation by the DVLA? If you use one of the independent services they can only report your fitness on the day.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
What's the answer to the OP's question about D2 please - is that required?

As Far as I am aware, the correct form to retain C1 and C1+E. it the same (D4) as the Full HGV medical form. the only difference is that the Medical is required every 3 years and not every year as with the FULL C and C+E. (HGV Licence). That is what the DVLA sent me when I asked for the correct form.

Pete

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I had an op on one eye which I had to declare and although the consultant said everything was fine with no adverse effectsI had to have field vision test at Specsavers and I apparently did not meet the class 2 criteria.
It has since been identified that the software in Specsavers equipment was incorrect so I am considering getting a further test.
The problem with DVLA is that you cannot talk to them, they are faceless uncooperative civil servants.
Larry, a few years back when Sally and I took our C, we had a massive problem with her field vision test. She went twice to Specsavers and once to VisionXpress. The computer based "click when you see a dot of light" kit can show up high levels of false positives, this is where you click as seeing a dot when in fact the computer deems it should have been outside your field of vision. The DVLA allows up to 10%, Sally's were 20+%. Anyway they ended up making an appointment at Plymouth Eye Hospital for her. The hospital used a basic system with a consultant looking in. She got 100% perfect, the consultant wanted to know why she was there !!
So it might be a good idea to get a hospital test. I found the DVLA medical division OK to talk to and very helpful hence my understanding above, with the exception that they wanted Sally's OK to speak about her every time I phoned. Worth a try.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Went to my own Doctor he did eye and medical - signed up cost £103 including VAT - back home did the cheque sent of recorded delivery had license back in 2 weeks all correct

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Larry, a few years back when Sally and I took our C, we had a massive problem with her field vision test. She went twice to Specsavers and once to VisionXpress. The computer based "click when you see a dot of light" kit can show up high levels of false positives, this is where you click as seeing a dot when in fact the computer deems it should have been outside your field of vision. The DVLA allows up to 10%, Sally's were 20+%. Anyway they ended up making an appointment at Plymouth Eye Hospital for her. The hospital used a basic system with a consultant looking in. She got 100% perfect, the consultant wanted to know why she was there !!
So it might be a good idea to get a hospital test. I found the DVLA medical division OK to talk to and very helpful hence my understanding above, with the exception that they wanted Sally's OK to speak about her every time I phoned. Worth a try.

Thanks Michael :xThumb:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If your own doctor does the medical do they report on any previous medical history which may instigate further investigation by the DVLA? If you use one of the independent services they can only report your fitness on the day.
What they do is write to your own doctor which takes weeks. Better to go with your own doctor in the first place IMO.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Went to my own Doctor he did eye and medical - signed up cost £103 including VAT - back home did the cheque sent of recorded delivery had license back in 2 weeks all correct
It seems you were one of the lucky ones, I've heard horror stories from all over the country.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
It seems you were one of the lucky ones, I've heard horror stories from all over the country.

I did wonder if it was the fact that it was my own doctor that signed and stamped each page - he was fastidious that all was correctly laid out and signed. I was with him for nearly 45 minutes so to then get the licence back in 14 days the money was well worth it.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
My dr wanted £130 and told me when he would do it not an appointment to fit in with my work, so gave him a miss.

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
The D2 is the form to fill in if you are recinding your C1 entitlement if you wish to retain it complete the D4.

If you have no current medical issues then do use the alternative doctors that work through these Medical Companies that the Truckers etc use if you feel your own doctors fee may be too high.

If you do have a known/on going medical issue go to your own doctor and pay the extra, if you go to the private companies they cannot report on your medical issues,therefore,the DVLA have then to write,yes! They write to your doctor for confirmation of your condition and this can be a number of letters depending on a persons issues,thus it can cause untold delay that makes the extra fee your doctor charges bareable.

I made this mistake because I couldn't get to see my own doctor for three weeks and tried to speed the process up,wow,what nightmare, 5 months after the application I got the Licence.

I have a minor issue that is very stable in fact it improves year on year so they had no reason to refuse the reissue but lost paperwork and the totally inflexible DVLA was the cause.

You can drive vehicles below C1 whilst the process is ongoing but if your Licence has expired,your birthday at 70, your grounded or at least your MH is.

DONT use a 'outside' sourced Doctor IF you have a medical history that you are unable to give accurate answers to the D4 questions, if the form is not completed accurately the DVLA will then write to your own Doctor for in depth detail of your medical history...this can then manifest into a huge delay of obtaining your new licence...the D2 is not required if you are applying to keap your C1 Licence after 70

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I let mine lapse at 70 because I was not driving anything over 3500kg here and in the USA where there is no requirement. even though the R-V (Avtar) was 9tonne!. (I am now 72) however the "New" Rapido is at 3500kg capable of being raised to 3840kg?. and the extra 340kg would be useful!. (kitchen sink etc). Which in turn means I will need to get it back. Just had complete clear MOT from my own Doctor (Free), but it would cost over £100-00 if he filled in the D4!.

So next move after Xmas (and 2 new tyres). will likely be the upgrade and the C1 back.

(unless I can persuade "her indoors" to offload a few items!)

Pete

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I let mine lapse at 70 because I was not driving anything over 3500kg here and in the USA where there is no requirement. even though the R-V (Avtar) was 9tonne!. (I am now 72) however the "New" Rapido is at 3500kg capable of being raised to 3840kg?. and the extra 340kg would be useful!. (kitchen sink etc). Which in turn means I will need to get it back. Just had complete clear MOT from my own Doctor (Free), but it would cost over £100-00 if he filled in the D4!.

So next move after Xmas (and 2 new tyres). will likely be the upgrade and the C1 back.

(unless I can persuade "her indoors" to offload a few items!)

Pete

Cheaper to pay the fine if you are going to have trouble;
£100 FP -- 5% to 10% or over 1 tonne on axle, gross or train if less than 5%
£200 FP -- Over 10% and up to 15%
£300 FP -- Over 15% and up to 30%

:xThumb::xgrin:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I was going to say actually that the DVLA Medical Branch are fairly easy to talk to - I have a 3 yearly medical renewal so I'm quite used to them BUT I do caution you quite seriously to check several times - and get someone else to check too! - that you have answered every single question you need to answer, dotted all your Is and crossed all your Ts because it seems they only ask one question at a time instead of saying at the outset all the things you may have missed, and all the points they wish to query! A few years ago mine went back and forth over a period of 8 months! - and I'd originally applied for renewal in October for a January expiry date as per normal ever since I got my full licence in the mid 1980s - and it was the following June by the time they actually renewed it!

And it wasn't until May they said I hadn't actually answered one of the questions on Page 2, at all! - yet they'd had me jumping through flipping hoops ever since the previous November! One of the things they apparently need when you do wear glasses, is your optician to check your visual acuity WITHOUT specs. Why? - when you both know you can't find your own belly button without em and would be lucky to find the ignition key hole without your specs! (Well, you can find it LOL - but you certainly can't see it well. He put progressively larger letters on the screen - it was hilarious, me making comments like 'Is it hieroglyphs?' Then 'That's Sanskrit I think' 'Ah - Mandarin' Eventually 'Oh that's better, Jay - I can see plainly that those are letters. But not which ones, just yet!' We did have a good laugh, anyway.)

TBH this delayed renewal may stand me in good stead now as I'm about to be referred to hosp re my cataracts, so hopefully I can get them sorted and be well over it, with new glasses all sorted and 'worn in', as it were, before it's due again in summer 2018.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Its funny how people complain about the cost of a medical which would be a fairly cheap bill for work at a garage if the motorhome needed it!! I know everyone will say its a rip off but I think we have got so used to free medical treatment at the point of delivery that we think it all ought to be free even when the medical is for a hobby and would be seen as a reasonable bill at the vets!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Cheaper to pay the fine if you are going to have trouble;
£100 FP -- 5% to 10% or over 1 tonne on axle, gross or train if less than 5%
£200 FP -- Over 10% and up to 15%
£300 FP -- Over 15% and up to 30%

:xThumb::xgrin:
Not quite that easy Gus. In fact you are also driving in excess of your licence, so no licence charge, points and fine, then because no licence you will not have insurance (they will have a clause). So you move from a small fine to mega bucks and undoubtedly with the no insurance, loss of your licence.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Not quite that easy Gus. In fact you are also driving in excess of your licence, so no licence charge, points and fine, then because no licence you will not have insurance (they will have a clause). So you move from a small fine to mega bucks and undoubtedly with the no insurance, loss of your licence.
i keep seeing this tosh printed that if your not in accordance with you licence your insurance is void insurance in particular the third party aspect pays out when drunks kill people when vehicles with defects kill people thats what it there for

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I seem to remember the phrase "providing the insured holds or has held, and is not disqualified from holding, an appropriate driving licence for the vehicle being insured" I don't know if it's still used, I haven't checked any of my policies recently.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Re eye test. At my last (PCV) medical got my own doctor to do the lot, but he apparently messed up the eyesight bit because I immediately got a letter back from DVLA saying DO NOT DRIVE. Went straight to my optician who were totally mystified but did a full check then gave me a letter for the DVLA - licence renewed by return of post!

I've now let PCV lapse but will need to renew C1 at 70 - which I'm looking forward to with keen anticipation (NOT)!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Do these doctors have to know what was done to you 32 years ago and fine ever since? Do they get the reports done correctly first time with a good result? Is there a check back on your records? Do the DVLA automatically require further tests as a few on here seem to have had to do those in any case? Do I buy my desired new van at 3880 kgs and take a chance that I will get a medical at 70 in 3years time, OR do I buy a payload strapped, heavy,' lightweight van' and just run too heavy for a few years? All these damned checks for a few extra kilos because of a bureaucratic break point in some regulation.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Over here in France the system is somewhat different. I had to go for a French licence when I managed to get to 70 years old.

Firstly, only doctors on an approved list can certify fitness for the over 3.5t and other categories.

Secondly, the fees are specified by the state. I think I paid about 35€ at renewal time last year.

The doctor tested for eye-sight using the old-style chart, had me doing some, to me, simple exercises and checked lungs, heart, b.p. and pulse.

The whole thing took about 40 minutes, including the filling in of the forms (three sets). I then went to the local Préfecture (County Council equivalent) offices, paid the licence renewal fee and had my new licence in hand within 10 days.

Seems much slicker than in the UK

J

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
i keep seeing this tosh printed that if your not in accordance with you licence your insurance is void insurance in particular the third party aspect pays out when drunks kill people when vehicles with defects kill people thats what it there for
Well I suppose you pays your money and takes your choice, however even if your analogy is correct, in the event of a write off accident you have lost your van without fully comp.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Do these doctors have to know what was done to you 32 years ago and fine ever since? Do they get the reports done correctly first time with a good result? Is there a check back on your records? Do the DVLA automatically require further tests as a few on here seem to have had to do those in any case? Do I buy my desired new van at 3880 kgs and take a chance that I will get a medical at 70 in 3years time, OR do I buy a payload strapped, heavy,' lightweight van' and just run too heavy for a few years? All these damned checks for a few extra kilos because of a bureaucratic break point in some regulation.

If you are in any doubt about passing your medical might be worth buying a van that could be downrated to 3500 kg and still give a usable payload.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes I'm thinking of mine. I can be 30% o/loaded & still under 3,5T.
You cab never have " no insurance " they are always liable for the 3rd party claims & have to claim from you if you are liable. This is why I always argue that you can't be done for no insurance if you actually insured the vehicle.

Well I suppose you pays your money and takes your choice, however even if your analogy is correct, in the event of a write off accident you have lost your van without fully comp.
Many of us over here cannot get full comp due to age of vehicle. It's not like the Uk ,here they even query why you want full comp on a 4 year old car ?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If you are in any doubt about passing your medical might be worth buying a van that could be downrated to 3500 kg and still give a usable payload.
Not that many of the decent ones that meet that criteria, Nearly everything is so close to the limit that it is difficult to put much in them.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Not that many of the decent ones that meet that criteria, Nearly everything is so close to the limit that it is difficult to put much in them.

I have been knocked down to 3500 kg and am looking at a Pilote G740 . Around 450kg of payload which is so tight but miro includes 90% fuel , water and one lpg cyl.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a Hymer Exsis i698 plated 4250 kg but on checking load capacities weighed it with me a full tank diesel and full fresh water tank 2 11kg full refillable gas bottles came in at 2950kg so loads of capacity and could be down plated with a reasonable payload

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back