C1 licence extension (1 Viewer)

May 22, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Since 2016
Due to Covid, last year the DVLA granted an extension of 11 months to renew your C1 licence at 70. This extension applied up to the end of 2020.
Does any one know the latest on whether the DVLA will continue this into 2021. I have tried to phone but unable to get a response.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I sent my application in just before Christmas, at that time their web site was saying no automatic extensions for licenses expiring after 31/12/2020.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
From another thread today.... Link not working

Search on the forum

No HGV medical required due to covid​

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I need my medical and it’s not going on at the moment , on dvla web site it’s saying I have a 1 year extension but have to reapply in 1 year not 5 as if I had medical done.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

No HGV medical required due to covid​

Broken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed
•••
[I]Broken Link Removed[/I]

Mr porky

As I’m over 45 yet under 65 I have to have a medical every 5 years to ensure I’m fit to drive and keep my HGV licence.
paperwork came through this morning with the medical form that a doctor fills in as well as the usual form to renue my licence.
unfortunately no covid info included but after contacting DVLA through there text bot service I spoke to an adviser who told me a medical is not required this year but it’s only an extension for 1 year.
Im not sure if this is good or bad, yet I understand why they are doing it.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think HGV licenses are treated differently to C1 grandfather rights.

Oct 17, 2016
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Tribute T715
Exp
Since 2010
Due to Covid, last year the DVLA granted an extension of 11 months to renew your C1 licence at 70. This extension applied up to the end of 2020.
Does any one know the latest on whether the DVLA will continue this into 2021. I have tried to phone but unable to get a response.
When I asked the DVLA they told me Oct 2021

Oct 17, 2016
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Tribute T715
Exp
Since 2010
I took this off GOV site today
All driving licences with an expiry date from 1 January 2021 must be renewed. All driving licences with an expiry date between 1 February 2020 and 31 December 2020 will be treated as valid for a further 11 months.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
D4 drivers is not taking any bookings for the medical for hgv, taxi license etc at the moment. I guess individual dr surgery will decide themselves if it’s something they want to do at this time.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I took this off GOV site today
All driving licences with an expiry date from 1 January 2021 must be renewed. All driving licences with an expiry date between 1 February 2020 and 31 December 2020 will be treated as valid for a further 11 months.
Got a link?
ezee

pj650

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 14, 2010
Gretna. Dumfriesshire.
Funster No
MH
Bürstner t740
Exp
Motorhoming since 2002
D4 drivers is not taking any bookings for the medical for hgv, taxi license etc at the moment. I guess individual dr surgery will decide themselves if it’s something they want to do at this time.
I have just spoken to D4 drivers a moment ago.
A lady called Shelley informed me they are very busy taking bookings for HGV medicals. She is not aware of any suspension in the need of a medical in 2021.
Luckily I managed to book a HGV medical appointment at a medical centre at Dumfries in two days time.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The other half had the site up today and it said it was suspended and when she clicked on the booking part it was blocked out. That was this morning. Mind you with the amount of work at the moment it won’t make a lot of difference to me.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I have just spoken to D4 drivers a moment ago.
A lady called Shelley informed me they are very busy taking bookings for HGV medicals. She is not aware of any suspension in the need of a medical in 2021.
Luckily I managed to book a HGV medical appointment at a medical centre at Dumfries in two days time.
Just a thought is Scotland on the same rules as England. It does set its own speed limits and drink driving etc, has it set different rules for hgv medical ?

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
I had Medical done by D for drivers last Saturday so not problem with that. Hoping to get licence renewed early March . I didn’t want the extension because DVLA state you can’t drive abroad with one. Stay safe everyone 👍

pj650

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 14, 2010
Gretna. Dumfriesshire.
Funster No
MH
Bürstner t740
Exp
Motorhoming since 2002
Just a thought is Scotland on the same rules as England. It does set its own speed limits and drink driving etc, has it set different rules for hgv medical ?
Not that I’m aware of as DVLA covers all of the UK, and my renewal forms
came from there ( licence application and medical form).
That said, because I am over 65 my HGV has to be renewed every year.
Could that be the difference? I really don’t know.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Pete's grandad D1 falls due for renewal on 24th Jan and he had the reminder at the end of Nov, got the proper forms, arranged and got a medical in Coventry with D4 Drivers then DVLA sent it back cos the D4 Doc had omitted his BP measurement so had to get another appt (free) for him to put it on the form and apply their official stamp to the addition again. DVLA had enclosed a specific envelope to return it, which involved another trip to a Post Office which he did the next day. Received the new licence back within a few days.

D4 are oop north somewhere ?Bradford is it? but anyway that's their HO and as long as they have a 'clinic' location within your localish area, it's a pre-booked medical appointment so you can travel there within reason - at the moment anyway. Just don't hang round, get it done soonest.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Posted D2 and D4 forms with extra form for sleep apnoea to DVLA on 22 December. DVLA web site now showing new license issued 18 January with all categories retained, valid until 29 February 2024. Less than 4 weeks to turn it around including Christmas and New Year. Very happy with that.

OP
OP
W
May 22, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Since 2016
Pausim thank you . I have a medical booked with D4 drivers next month. I also have sleep apnoea, where did you get the extra form DVLA have already sent the D"/D4 forms.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Pausim thank you . I have a medical booked with D4 drivers next month. I also have sleep apnoea, where did you get the extra form DVLA have already sent the D"/D4 forms.

The SL1V is downloadable for printing, this link should take you to it.
Neither I nor my doctor were sure that the SL1V was essential but his advice was the more you send the less likely they are to ask for further information. You may have already filled in a similar form when you first reported your sleep apnoea to the DVLA.

OP
OP
W
May 22, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Since 2016
Pausim belated thank you again. I used the link you sent. I do have copies of a similar form SL1 that were completed when first diagnosed in April 2016. I have had no further follow up with the Oxford sleep clinic since their discharge in 2016. I am wondering if the lack of regular follow up will now be a problem with the DVLA ?

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Pausim belated thank you again. I used the link you sent. I do have copies of a similar form SL1 that were completed when first diagnosed in April 2016. I have had no further follow up with the Oxford sleep clinic since their discharge in 2016. I am wondering if the lack of regular follow up will now be a problem with the DVLA ?
I am surprised you have had no follow up, you might need to set something up with your GP. Did the NHS provide your CPAP and mask? They usually call me in every couple of years to check the machine readings and make sure the treatment is effective but it is now over 3 years since my last appointment, which went on the forms without causing a problem.

OP
OP
W
May 22, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Since 2016
I have a NHS CPAP & mask, I get my spares direct from the manufacturer. I think I need to contact the Oxford sleep clinic to arrange an urgent review as they have not contacted me since 2016, this may be an over site on their part.
Thanks again for your help.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
WildBunch i would recommend that you fully check that the D4 Dr has correctly filled in the relevant sections to your medical condition.
some on the forum will have read this comment from me already, and I apologies if you have. But it is causing me so much of an issue i feel the need to warn people about the potential problems that can arise.

I do not have any reportable medical issues, but I do take a minimum dose blood pressure pill. the D4 Dr incorrectly filled the medical form part relevant to heart health / cardio. This was back in the 1st week in August and I am still sweeping up the fallout that this caused with DVLA .

I wish i had paid the £150 to my GP now at least I would have a license. My GP is now having to put right the misinformation that D4 provided.
The biggest problem is that once the DVLA have a seed sowed in their heads that there may be an issue they want absolute proof there is not. A simple note from DR / GP that it was a mistake does not cut it.

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
I can only give my own experience,
My C1 expired April 2020 and having submitted the paperwork,
and taken the medical 4 drivers checkup
Eventually got a letter from the DVLA stating that they needed more information from a cardiologist
(this actually meant they needed me to take a stress test)
but in the meantime I was still permitted to drive, nd this extension was until September 2020
then as Covid restrictions were instigated, I had another letter telling me they were not asking
any hospitals to carry out these stress test due to Covid restrictions, and my extension was now
extended to February 2021, none of this affected me as I had been shielding since March 2020
Then in December a letter again from the medical section of the DVLA, giving me a hospital
to call and arrange for the stress test (which the DVLA would pay for) ran the hospital arranged a date
went for the test, passed and three weeks later got my new C1 thought the post,
And dated for 3 years from the date of issue NOT from date of old livence expity
Hopes this helps you,
you cannot get DVLA on the phone as staff covid infections are running at 50%

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My GP is now having to put right the misinformation that D4 provided.
I wasn’t happy with the D4 form that I got from D4Drivers, they offered me a refund or another appointment, I took the money. I booked with my GP who for £120 had the time to do the job more thoroughly and made a much better job of the form. Very glad I did because with a history of sleep apnoea, blood pressure and mouth cancer I was not expecting a quick return. However it was all done in less than a month, including Christmas and New Year. Perhaps a GP’s signature with access to your full medical history gives the DVLA fewer concerns than a quick examination by someone who doesn’t have access to your records and relies mostly on the information you provide.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I agree I really wish I had used my GP. But in August we're not taking nonessential appointments.
I am hoping that they will sort it for me by the time lock down ends.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back