LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
This from the Caravan and Motorhome Club today (sorry if it’s been posted before!)

‘Why is the Club introducing deposits?​

Back in 2018, to improve availability for all members, we changed the way we put pitches on sale to enable you to always book at least a year ahead, all year round. This new system has proven very popular, with over one million nights already booked for stays in 2022!

The next step to improving availability is the introduction of deposits coupled with cancellation terms and conditions. This will help address the rise in cancellations, which has been a growing problem that has increased in recent years.

• In a normal year, we often see over 25% of all bookings being cancelled (that’s over 950,000 cancelled nights...every year!)
  • Of those cancelled nights, over 25% are made within four days of arrival, so it’s very difficult for other members to take advantage of the newly vacant pitches.
  • And it’s not just a small minority of ‘block bookers’ who are cancelling, almost half of all members who make a booking each year make at least one amendment or cancellation too. As you can imagine, a lot of members all cancelling a few times a year soon adds up! After reviewing the market, speaking to members and looking at other campsite providers the best solution to reduce speculative bookings is to introduce a deposit system. This will reduce the number of speculative bookings and create more availability for members.
  • We know plans sometimes do have to change, so if you cancel or amend your booking at least 21 days before arrival, your deposit will be fully refunded. This will give other members enough time to make a new booking and take advantage of the newly available pitch.
Club members and staff have worked together to create this new approach, and we’re all confident it will provide all members with more availability and an easier booking experience.’

No date for introduction as yet…….:unsure:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I only cancel or amend a booking for good reason. I await sight of the T&Cs to see if it would be against my interests or not.

The better-off block bookers won't be deterred by paying deposits but it will be significant for people like us on a limited budget.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
What would happen if someone booked 2 weeks on a site knowing they only wanted 4/5 days & then amended it to suit the weather & or other circumstances . Every system is open to abuse.
People who are due to arrive in bad weather & for the duration of their stay won’t care less about £25.
We only book Rowntree park in advance to keep the wheels turning in the winter & have only cancelled in extreme circumstances. We were there 2 weeks ago & there were quite a few spare pitches midweek so I guess it’s the weekend fair weather block bookers who will lose out.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Have to agree with paying a deposit, for far too long certain people have been booking multiple pitches and just not turning up, the club introduced a black book approach but still didn't deter the ardent compulsive pitch booker.
It's about time the club sorted out the maximum nights allowed to stay, the current situation is just plain stupid.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I'm all for the deposits but I wonder how many of those cancellations or amendments are because of the club and not the member.
I've had 2 bookings this year that I've had to amend and eventually cancel due to the sites staff shortage and subsequent closing, that could be 100 amendments and cancellations just at one site because the club request that you amend or cancel the booking yourself 🤷‍♂️

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I'm all for the deposits but I wonder how many of those cancellations or amendments are because of the club and not the member.
I've had 2 bookings this year that I've had to amend and eventually cancel due to the sites staff shortage and subsequent closing, that could be 100 amendments and cancellations just at one site because the club request that you amend or cancel the booking yourself 🤷‍♂️
Yes, I think that they have been creative with their use of the numbers. I have often booked a site and then cancelled and rebooked as plans change or another more convenient site showed availability, often a few months in advance.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Will it help? Currently you can cancel 72hours before your due date and face no warning letter or penalties, introducing a 21 day cut off will only change the day late bookers look for cancellations from 3 days to 21 days.
Many that can afford to block book will continue to block book and monitor the refund cut off.
It doesn’t provide more pitches,popular sites will still be full.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'm not really for deposits - and I really don't see how it'll make booking "easier".
A lot more hassle making a payment at time of booking, let alone getting a refund.
Increased workload for the Club too.

My usual booking process...
Choose destination A but no availability
Choose destination B, some availability but not all the days I want - but I book what I can
Choose destination C, not really the dates I want but has availability - so I book
So over the next few weeks, I check to see if #B has more of the dates I want, and fill in where possible.
Destination #A opens up a bit so I cancel #C and book some days at #A
#B is now available for the days I want so I amend the booking to a single block
#A at short notice becomes completely available for the length and dates I really wanted initially, so I cancel #B and amend #A

And that doesn't even include amending the pitch type as what I want becomes available!

So that's three deposits [at least], two refunds [at least] and a lot of wasted time for me.

If it all becomes a right PITA, I'll be considering my options [as they say]

I'll reserve [pun intended] judgement. See what actually transpires & when.
One thing is for certain - regardless of how many hate the new system - they'll never go back to the way it is now.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
A lot more hassle making a payment at time of booking, let alone getting a refund.
I'm all in favour of deposits, as for the above, the CCC seem to manage it without too many problems.
I book the site, they take deposit and full payment is taken automatically when I arrive.
I cannot remember the last time I had to cancel but IF I did, the small deposit is a small price to pay for the convenience. :giggle:

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I'm not really for deposits - and I really don't see how it'll make booking "easier".

My usual booking process...
Choose destination A but no availability
Choose destination B, some availability but not all the days I want - but I book what I can
Choose destination C, not really the dates I want but has availability - so I book
So over the next few weeks, I check to see if #B has more of the dates I want, and fill in where possible.
Destination #A opens up a bit so I cancel #C and book some days at #A
#B is now available for the days I want so I amend the booking to a single block
#A at short notice becomes completely available for the length and dates I really wanted initially, so I cancel #B and amend #A

And that doesn't even include amending the pitch type as what I want becomes available!

So that's three deposits [at least], two refunds [at least] and a lot of wasted time for me.

If it all becomes a right PITA, I'll be considering my options [as they say]

I'll reserve [pun intended] judgement. See what actually transpires & when.
One thing is for certain - regardless of how many hate the new system - they'll never go back to the way it is now.
II would imagine the club would prefer you to just turn up on spec if they had space available.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I sympathise with C&MC but 7 days notice or lose your deposit should be sufficient. You will have a better idea then if the weather is going to be too bad for camping during your stay.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'm all in favour of deposits, as for the above, the CCC seem to manage it without too many problems.
I book the site, they take deposit and full payment is taken automatically when I arrive.
I cannot remember the last time I had to cancel but IF I did, the small deposit is a small price to pay for the convenience. :giggle:
Exactly - why I cancelled my CCC membership because of their awful system.
Can make bookings online but can't cancel or amend them online, have to phone them if you can get through... epitome of inconvenience.

It's not the money, it's the dreadful process.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
+++
Club members and staff have worked together to create this new approach, and we’re all confident it will provide all members with more availability and an easier booking experience.’
+++
Any Funster Club members involved \ included?
Or any Funster know of anyone who was?
Why was it not raised \ discussed \ voted on at the recent AGM?
How an easier booking experience? Surely, deposits adds significantly to the process?

+++
almost half of all members who make a booking each year make at least one amendment or cancellation too. As you can imagine, a lot of members all cancelling a few times a year soon adds up!
+++
How many of them were made \ cancelled online vs over the phone and what admin involved?

Interested in what the deposit level will be? One night \ full stay \ etc?

How will payment \ data security be managed?

Could be a considerable level of additional admin required with cost passed onto, no doubt, the members!

Will await the official announcement and t&c's before making up mind.

Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning 😊
Can make bookings online but can't cancel or amend them online, have to phone them if you can get through... epitome of inconvenience.

Totally agree I am a member of both but much prefer the C&MC booking and cancelling or rebooking online facility they offer at the moment.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

I can only speak as I find, as I said before, I cannot remember the last time I cancelled so cannot talk about that but, to make amendments, such as moving dates or getting the OAP discount that I had forgotten to claim, I have always found the CCC VERY helpful and USUALLY not had too many problems getting through to their helpdesk.

The ONLY reason that I belong to the C&MHC is for their network of smaller sites (CL OR CS?) I rarely use their Official sites as I object to paying 50%+ (being a single OAP) for a similar piece of ground that is, often, only a few yards away. (eg. Sandringham)
I prefer to spend the extra on better food! :giggle:

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Looks like a lot of last minute bookings for us……luckily we can be flexible enough to do that. 🤷‍♂️

Had to cancel once due to family emergency.

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
One of the main reasons we cancelled our membership was we were sick of not being able to book only to find that when we tried on the day they had loads of cancellations .
People booking multipe sites for the same dates then taking the pick of the crop when the time came.
We even had people bragging to us on site that they booked a few sites in advance then cancelled at last minute if the forecast was poor in a particular area.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
One of the main reasons we cancelled our membership was we were sick of not being able to book only to find that when we tried on the day they had loads of cancellations .
People booking multipe sites for the same dates then taking the pick of the crop when the time came.
We even had people bragging to us on site that they booked a few sites in advance then cancelled at last minute if the forecast was poor in a particular area.
Technical term for that is Selfishness. ;)

Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
Surely the whole point of a deposit is that it is non-refundable. That is how they work as a deterrent to people cancelling at the last minute. There is little point of having a deposit system if the booker knows they can can get their money back from messing the site around. I'm all for them.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
When looking to join a club (2017) we were put off by the lack of deposits required by the C&CC and the tales that were rife about members booking and cancelling when it suited them, even the staff at the Peterborough show admitted it was a problem.

So we joined the CCC and 'discovered' their Temporary Holiday Sites, which we mainly use, and will stay with.

If the C&CC do start requiring deposits, we may consider joining them too.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Administratively it would be far easier for CAMC to take C/Card details. Debit customer on arrival. No shows/late cancellations subject to a penalty, which need not relate to the cost of the booking. Level of penalty easily changed without disruption of existing booking arrangements if greater discipline required.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Likewise. Never stayed on a CCC site as their "online booking process" is impossible to work!

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I read it in the last magazine and personally I think it’s a great idea. There are quite a few people that make block bookings throughout the year. They don’t really have any intention of using them all but because in the past it didn’t cost them anything they didn’t care that others could not book.
Now because they will have to pay a deposit it just might reduce the members doing it.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Nothing like a bit of selfishness to scew bookings up for everyone.
In my opinion it has done the complete opposite of screwing up bookings for everyone. It has made booking more available to everyone as the block booking types will have to pay a deposit on each booking. This hopefully will prevent the annual block bookers from doing this.

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
I knew of someone (a tugger) who used to book 3 or 4 sites in different places for the same weekend then on the Thursday decide which they would go to and either cancel the others or just not turn up. Not 100% sure but I think a couple of their cronies used to do the same thing.
Totally selfish attitude in my opinion

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back