C & CC club.. should we rejoin ? (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Our membership is up for renewal on the 8th of May, and I am unsure of the value of continued membership
For a change, this has nothing to do with wardens, camp sites or indeed any of the good folk who work for the club..
We have always been very happy with all the above.. but..................................

The main reasons for joining originally was two fold
1) Discounted insurance for the MH
2) Discounted ferry prices

Yes, we have used some of the sites and always been very very happy, but usage is very limited and of no real concern

So why the qquestion ?

Well three times now, the ferry costings have actually been higher than going direct to either P and O or the chunnel **

The insurance quotes given are limiting ( in that you MUST have all the add ons which we are really not interested in ) and average more than 50% more than we can get by, once again, going straight to the broker.

Although the prices quoted are dearer using the web booking, if you call the C & CC they do say they will price match.
Wellllllllll.. I do not pay membership fees just to pay the same as I can get myself.. I pay membership fees to get a LOWER cost on the ferry.. not exactly the same !

So what would YOU do ?

As a by the by, we ( as in Woman and I ) have sat down with the folk who attend the shows and chatted to them about the above issues.. And after the last trip ( of which the return booking was completely mucked up ! ) I rang them explaining all.
The lady I spoke to listened attentively and said she was with me in all respects and would address the matters and ring me back, taking my details .. That was a couple of weeks ago so I think I can presume I will NOT be hearing back from any one !!

TERRY&PAULINE

Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
Our membership is up for renewal on the 8th of May, and I am unsure of the value of continued membership
For a change, this has nothing to do with wardens, camp sites or indeed any of the good folk who work for the club..
We have always been very happy with all the above.. but..................................

The main reasons for joining originally was two fold
1) Discounted insurance for the MH
2) Discounted ferry prices

Yes, we have used some of the sites and always been very very happy, but usage is very limited and of no real concern

So why the qquestion ?

Well three times now, the ferry costings have actually been higher than going direct to either P and O or the chunnel **

The insurance quotes given are limiting ( in that you MUST have all the add ons which we are really not interested in ) and average more than 50% more than we can get by, once again, going straight to the broker.

Although the prices quoted are dearer using the web booking, if you call the C & CC they do say they will price match.
Wellllllllll.. I do not pay membership fees just to pay the same as I can get myself.. I pay membership fees to get a LOWER cost on the ferry.. not exactly the same !

So what would YOU do ?

As a by the by, we ( as in Woman and I ) have sat down with the folk who attend the shows and chatted to them about the above issues.. And after the last trip ( of which the return booking was completely mucked up ! ) I rang them explaining all.
The lady I spoke to listened attentively and said she was with me in all respects and would address the matters and ring me back, taking my details .. That was a couple of weeks ago so I think I can presume I will NOT be hearing back from any one !!

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
we will be in same position when cc membership is up in July. We save 10% on ferry bookings but think we could get other offers to cover that.
Cost of sites are now very expensive too, £26 pn (might have been £28) york week before Easter. We will be overseas over winter so in effect its 6 months membership. We are not renewing this year.

Not saying won't reconsider joining again if no plans to spend Time in europe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm also thinking of not renewing C&CC. It was useful when I had to stay on sites, and in particular the one nearest my daughter but I doubt I'd recoup my years membership this year.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
We've been considering not renewing this year but forgot we pay by direct debit so it happened automatically whilst we were over the water, doh!
We don't mind the club as we like the CS's & are going to try to take advantage of some of the ths's this year.
In general though we do think it's expensive. We should pay less as members, and I do think that charging £7.10 just to empty & fill at main sites is taking the pee.
Some people are members of C & CC, CC , & the motorhome club!
Mr Jaws, it sounds like you've asked the club a question that they have no answer to, please don't hold your breath.
Our problem now is that after nearly 6 months over the water EVERYTHING seems expensive back in Blighty :D

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We have considered doing the same, already cancelled CC but we do use the small sites and really like the camping in the forest sites so worth it for us for those reasons. As for ferry and insurance prices they've never been anything like competitive have always been able to do substantially better myself.

Reactions: f6c

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi John I have been a member of C&CC for four years this time round, I have never booked one of their sites and have never used their expertise when arranging insurance, ferry or chunnel trips.

I receive e-mails from them and a periodical magazine which I rarely glance at and I'm still a member because I set up a DD when I joined four years ago and haven't bothered to cancel it yet, I can't even remember when it's due.

You have however spurred me into action, I will deal with it tomorrow.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
NO. Simples !
CC every time !
Absolutely NO chance.. Dislike intensely just about every aspect of the set up..
it seems to be run by money grabbing obnoxious people who delight in employing people not suited for the job.. Folk with the people skills of a really angry baboon in many cases !!!!

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I joined when I visited one site once - since then I can never work out how much I am going to be charged, and I don't think they have ever really had a site where I wanted to be.

I must check that I did not make out a standing order. Thanks for this thread :)

Reactions: f6c

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
NO. Simples !
CC every time !

Absolutely NO chance.. Dislike intensely just about every aspect of the set up..
it seems to be run by money grabbing obnoxious people who delight in employing people not suited for the job.. Folk with the people skills of a really angry baboon in many cases !!!!

Totally agree a horrible organisation from top to bottom.
Apart from locations have nothing good to say about CC.

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
I cancelled both memberships of these clubs and joined the MCC. Get a lot of the same benefits as the other clubs. Night stops, cls and I have made a lot of new friends and have attended a few rallies and enjoyed them. fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We're in both clubs, membership costs are usually recovered in the year but it's not a great cost is it?

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
IMHO both have their +ives / -ives.

How you may or may not use both networks of CL / CS, Club Sites, etc; plus member offers (M6 Toll as an example) may justify the spend.......

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We are members of both this year we usually take turn around. However I like the booking terms of the CC better than the CC&C which IMO are too strict. I like some locations in both and i like the CC sites, facilities etc. If i had to cancel one of mine it would be the CC&C just for the hassle booking and cancellation terms.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
We have just cancelled our memberships. BUT we still use the five sites and very rarely are we asked for membership cards, don't forget that five sites are run by so called "hard up" farmers who are pleased to have £10 + cash heir back pockets ! We also use "Britstops" use the costs of joining are soon recouped.

colyboy

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Our problem now is that after nearly 6 months over the water EVERYTHING seems expensive back in Blighty :D
Everything IS expensive. Eye wateringly so to me.:cry:

I'm suspicious of any business which calls itself a 'Club'.
Here a " club " is a brothel. There's yer answer ! You are going to be screwed expensively.:D

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
C&CC good for discounts on tunnel & forest sites.
Left CC as didn't use all year

Booking the chunnel through C & CC was 150% dearer than going direct !! I could not believe that which prompted the fone call that ennded up with them saying they would price match !!

CC are the better club ! I think Jaws meant that as well !

Ummm I presume this was said with tongue firmly in cheek ? !!!

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Don't sit on the fence. Do feel free to use your democratic right to express your views to the full :roflmto::roflmto:

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
A lot for me to think about now, joined CC yesterday by one off payment cost £56 instead of £46 if I set up direct debit for annual Renewal, can't offer any advice or info as we have never been a member of any of them, so we will it give the year to see how it goes, but I do take note of the various comments made about the differing clubs, hope we have a good experience and let's see what we do next year, when hiring have always done very well with locations via UK campsite Which cost nothing, but gives a lot of choice and reviews and dependent on your idea of what the reviewer has put

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
BUT we still use the five sites and very rarely are we asked for membership cards, don't forget that five sites are run by so called "hard up" farmers who are pleased to have £10 + cash heir back pockets !

Is there a website for this 5 sites thing please?

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I'd be interested to know where all you people go if you're not a member of either, I know there's a lot of private sites but they're equally as expensive if not more expensive, I rejoined the CC this year and I'm sure we'll use the sites, I can't quite get my head around the CL sites, the ones I've seen are basically small fields with enough room for half a dozen units, bit like camping in a farmers field, not sure I'd want that if I'm honest

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
I'd be interested to know where all you people go if you're not a member of either, I know there's a lot of private sites but they're equally as expensive if not more expensive, I rejoined the CC this year and I'm sure we'll use the sites, I can't quite get my head around the CL sites, the ones I've seen are basically small fields with enough room for half a dozen units, bit like camping in a farmers field, not sure I'd want that if I'm honest

Wow, I'm stunned! Why invest in a very expensive vehicle which offers so many different ways to enjoy your freedom and then restrict yourself to ' club' sites?
Sorry, I really don't mean to sound over critical but you do seem to be talking yourself out of some wonderful opportunities for adventure.
There really are very many brilliant places to enjoy which are very easy to find without resorting to a club handbook.
Push your boundaries and have a great time.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Wow, I'm stunned! Why invest in a very expensive vehicle which offers so many different ways to enjoy your freedom and then restrict yourself to ' club' sites?
Sorry, I really don't mean to sound over critical but you do seem to be talking yourself out of some wonderful opportunities for adventure.
There really are very many brilliant places to enjoy which are very easy to find without resorting to a club handbook.
Push your boundaries and have a great time.

That's kind of my question though, where do you find such places, I take it most don't just park in lay-bys and pub carparks so is there a list of suitable places or do you just chance your arm?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back