C&CC & C&MC Cost Vs. Benefits (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
I'm thinking of joining up to one as initially, I thought I'd save a few quid if I used it often enough
but it seems that their prices aren't that competitive given that you have to pay a joining fee as well.
So if you have joined either one then why did you choose to sign up to a club?

Was it Ease of booking? Quality of sites? Any added perks? Anything else I can't think of?

<M>

Jul 25, 2020
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 6617
Exp
I’m in exactly the same position. Members seem to save between £8-12 per night so in theory you should get your money back after 5 or 6 nights. Will be keen to hear Funsters thoughts and experiences.
And then there’s the question of if you only join one, which one? I can’t really tell the difference from the research I’ve done.

looking forward to hearing everyone‘s views.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
CAMC I saved £500 on my hull crossings last year by combining with 4 overseas vouchers at around £20 each. That we used on a very expensive site in Switzerland that should have cost £275 for four nights. We used the 4 vouchers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Having been members of CAMC for many years now I have always found them value for money. But like most things only value if you use it.
We use CLs a lot from a fiver and up, on farms and interesting places.
Their Club sites come in for a bit of stick over the regimental attitude but I have never found it a problem. They are generally excellent quality.
Phil

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
C&CC gives you the option of not paying an extra £5 a night for hookup.
It does, however, take a deposit when you book and, if you want to change your booking, you have to phone them.
They have temporary holiday sites and weekend rallies which in normal times don’t require booking and are about £10 a night.

CMHC have fancier facilities if you use them and are often in better locations ie near civilisation.
Their website is more user-friendly for changing/cancelling bookings and shows a list of sites you have booked unlike C&CC.

I am a member of both - CAMH for the flexibility and C&CC for the cheapness.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm in both. I haven't used any of the 'added benefits' such as travel, insurance or retail discounts and I rarely use sites, but I have membership as a back-up - it's not going to break the bank and it just might provide a safe haven some time. And even better, sometimes I've had little mini-meets with other Funsters on club sites :smiley:
A good few CCC club sites allow "service stops". The 2 clubs have different levels of coverage (club sites and CL/ CS) around the UK

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
We are members of the Camping & Caravan club but rarely use the club sites as they charge per person not per unit so the costs can add up to quite expensive at certain times of the year for a family but reasonable if I go away on my own.

However the real benefit is the DA's (District Association) weekends or THS Temporary Holidays Sites which are on average less than £10 per night per night and run across the whole country so always plenty of options for trips away.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I'm thinking of joining up to one as initially, I thought I'd save a few quid if I used it often enough
but it seems that their prices aren't that competitive given that you have to pay a joining fee as well.
So if you have joined either one then why did you choose to sign up to a club?

Was it Ease of booking? Quality of sites? Any added perks? Anything else I can't think of?

<M>

The benefits are access to CL/CS/THS sites. These are often much cheaper and more relaxed sites, rather than massive holiday parks. You must be a member to stay at them. That is actually a legal requirement.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Been in the CCC now for 5 years..
NEVER stopped in one of theirs sites, However we go to the rallies and mostly the THS (temporary holiday sites) that for me makes it worthwhile. (y)
£9 - £12 a night suits me. 😁
same for me member 15 years only used a couple of sites which had a few rallies from the original wildcamping forum ,but use the holiday sites all the time as they are great value for money and mostly in good locations. Was a member of Caravan Club used a couple of sites but as said too regimental for me.

Aug 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
I also am member of both. Depends of how you want to holiday and facilities 'you' require. I've got my joining fee back on just two bookings on cheaper sites - green fields - my preference :D

I also agree with Janine 's summation (y)

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
If you join the c&mc you can be a selfish git and book loads of sites in advance just in case you fancy a few days away and then cancel at the last minute when you change your mind which n you cant do with the ccc as you have to pay a deposit when you book. I was in the c&mhc for a year and never used it I then joined the ccc and have stayed at s few of their sites including the 1 in keswick which is a 5 minute walk from the town centre so definately close to civilasion and there sites dont seem to be too regimented but have good facilities but the comment about the website is correct I normally book over gnd phone as it seems easier to me

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
The benefits are access to CL/CS/THS sites. These are often much cheaper and more relaxed sites, rather than massive holiday parks. You must be a member to stay at them. That is actually a legal requirement.
I've heard of the CL's before but is it just me but when you try and search for one from the Caravan and Motorhome front page, it only shows Club sites? You have to delve in to find the CL sites and yes, they are good value.
I've been judging them on their Club sites which for a family of four work out quite pricey as you have to pay per person (which I might add is a great way to do it as it benefits couples and singles). CL's however seem to be per pitch and much better priced as presumably they don't have all the bells and whistles of a Club site.

<M>

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Is it a legal requirement? I'm not a member of either and I use CL's and CS's. In fact I'm on a CS now. I can't remember the last time I was asked to show a card. I realise it would be different on one of their 'proper' sites but I don't use those.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
CAMC I saved £500 on my hull crossings last year by combining with 4 overseas vouchers at around £20 each. That we used on a very expensive site in Switzerland that should have cost £275 for four nights. We used the 4 vouchers.

Kev

Can you please link to exactly where this voucher discount system is described. Does one have to be a member to even access the page?

Does one have to actually stay on their sites to get the vouchers?

Thanks, Geoff

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Its ot legal requirement to be a member and some of their sites do accept non members which I'm guessing is why your on 1

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We are members of the C&CC get the old foggie half price rate, we ocassonaly use forestry site & it saves 10% on a Tunnel crossing so doesn't really cost us anything. Using a couple of THS this year. Don't like the C&MC, can't stand their little Hitler wardens and their prim & proper sites.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Is it a legal requirement? I'm not a member of either and I use CL's and CS's. In fact I'm on a CS now. I can't remember the last time I was asked to show a card. I realise it would be different on one of their 'proper' sites but I don't use those.

Just because they don't check, doesn't mean that it isn't illegal. They've had a bad 18 months and it isn't in their interest to enforce the law. That said, I reckon mine is checked around 30-40% of the time.

Of course, not all CS/CL sites rely on the legal club exemption. THS presumably rely on short term use not requiring change of use etc.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

I dont think its a legal requirement but at the THS sites your certainly have to prove your a member.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We are in the CCC and like the ths and rallies also handy for RAC arrival recovery, we dropped the Caravan club for various reasons.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I dont think its a legal requirement but at the THS sites your certainly have to prove your a member.
I'm confused now (it doesn't take much), having thought about it IF it is a legal requirement who's breaking the law, me as a user or the CS owner, or both of us?

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
I'm confused now (it doesn't take much), having thought about it IF it is a legal requirement who's breaking the law, me as a user or the CS owner, or both of us?
The club meets and THS you would not get on without membership but CL and CS are 5 van sites run privately so maybe you would get on even if not a member , although the club page states you should be a member .

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
CAMC
£1 a week
Nice site facilities
Website a breeze/ user friendly
No deposit required

Additionally, some independents ( Morris Leisure for example) give a small discount to members

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
CCC for us. Tried the CAMC but not for us - even the weekend rallies are too regimented! We've been CCC members for 25 years and now only pay £20 a year membership as Veteran members! We tend to use the weekend rallies and THSs with the occasional Club site when it's where we want to be. Also use the CSs so for us well worth the (what was) £1 a week and now less than 50p a week!

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
CCC for us. Tried the CAMC but not for us - even the weekend rallies are too regimented! We've been CCC members for 25 years and now only pay £20 a year membership as Veteran members! We tend to use the weekend rallies and THSs with the occasional Club site when it's where we want to be. Also use the CSs so for us well worth the (what was) £1 a week and now less than 50p a week!
I've heard a lot about the CAMC being too regimented, but in what way exactly?

<M>

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back