Buzzing fridge since fitting Solar panel (1 Viewer)

GrahamD

Free Member
Oct 30, 2016
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2016
I have recently had fitted a 200w solar panel on my Hymer B544. I also had fitted a LR1218 Schaudt controller. I have absolutely no real understandings of electrickery and have made a couple of observations which I don’t know if someone would have the time to comment on or whether you could point me in the direction of someone that could.

The first thing I have noticed is that when the Dometic fridge is in `Auto’ or `12V’ there is a buzzing alarm type sound when the engine is running. I originally put this down to the fridge having been switched off and being below operating temperature. So I switched it off until I got home and put it on hook up to get it back to operating temperature,
but it still buzzes with the engine running.

The other thing I noted when travelling back home was the readings on the display. The first two are when we stopped at Gordanos services at around 11pm when we switched the 12V back on for a rest stop. I noticed a low reading on the batteries so I started the engine and the next two photos represent with the engine running. Due to the fridge buzzing in the `Auto’ or `12V’ mode I travelled back with the fridge in `Gas’ mode.

The last two photos were taken yesterday at home during the day were the battery readings seemed to have recovered. Is this to be expected or because I was in `Gas’ mode was the fridge draining the battery? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Graham
1a.jpg
1b.jpg
2a.jpg
2b.jpg
3a.jpg
3b.jpg

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
You never seem to get a true reading of the engine battery voltage. I can see you have a dt201 in picture. What type of ebl do you have?
I would be chasing the engine volt reading, engine running or not it should be 12 to 14 volts.
Was it all well before the solar was fitted?

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
It may not be the same but I recently had a problem on my Fiat based Hymer which showed as similar readings on the Schaudt panel. I found that the 15amp fuse in the Battery compartment under the floor was blown so the engine battery was not being charged by solar or the Schaudt charger. Replaced fuse all was well.
On a previous van I had the buzzing when the engine was running so switched to 12 volt it turned out to be a very large fuse gone in the heavy red cable from the engine battery to the Fridge.
Both worth checking. Hope it helps.
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
While not trying to dodge the question, have you considered speaking to the electrician who fitted the panel?
As you suggest, is it possible that your buzzer is warning you that you are draining the battery rather than running off the alternator? Please note I am not qualified to make this comment but wonder if the buzzer is designed this way.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
I had the same problem, check your 12v fuse for the fridge. Mine is under the bonnet and had a dodgy contact. A squirt of contact cleaner and all was well.

OP
OP
G

GrahamD

Free Member
Oct 30, 2016
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2016
Many thanks for the replies and I will check all of the items mentioned. It is an EBL101. It was all working fine prior to the solar panel being fitted but that could end up just being a coincidence. I have spoken to the electrician who fitted it but he is on holiday until next week so I'll call in to see him then. I just wanted to see if anyone else had had similar issues to point me/electrician in the right direction.
Regards
Graham

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
You need the ebl101 manual, you can download it from the schaudt website.
Since the only time you read a good starter batt voltage is on solar i suggest the 20a fuse that is the starter batt supply for the fridge is either blown or has no supply.
It connects to socket 5f- bl2 pin 1 on front of the ebl101.
This fuse is not on the front of the ebl.
The 5f- bl2 socket is the second from the left, not including mains socket. Pin1 is the top one. Check for starter batt voltage here. Careful you arnt just measuring solar panel voltage. With this fuse/ supply missing you will not be charging starter batt on solar if wired as Schaudt intend.
The above is from an ebl101c manual, others could be different.

OP
OP
G

GrahamD

Free Member
Oct 30, 2016
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2016
You need the ebl101 manual, you can download it from the schaudt website.
Since the only time you read a good starter batt voltage is on solar i suggest the 20a fuse that is the starter batt supply for the fridge is either blown or has no supply.
It connects to socket 5f- bl2 pin 1 on front of the ebl101.
This fuse is not on the front of the ebl.
The 5f- bl2 socket is the second from the left, not including mains socket. Pin1 is the top one. Check for starter batt voltage here. Careful you arnt just measuring solar panel voltage. With this fuse/ supply missing you will not be charging starter batt on solar if wired as Schaudt intend.
The above is from an ebl101c manual, others could be different.

Thanks for the information. I'll download the manual tonight and I'll let you know what is found.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
The buzzing is a relay behind the top control panel on your fridge caused by a iffy 12v connection probably your fridge fuse! Check it first before you mess about with all the other stuff. It's a relatively common problem and the fuse will probably look a bit worse for wear.

OP
OP
G

GrahamD

Free Member
Oct 30, 2016
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2016
A quick update on my problem. It ended up being the 20amp fuse by the starter battery had gone as your replies had suggested. Thanks for steering me in the right direction and I will now know that for the future.

Graham

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well done and thanks for the update, always good to see a successful conclusion.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back