Buying from Dealer a distance away from Home. Should I worry?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Steve Thompson, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Steve Thompson

Steve Thompson Funster

Ratings:
    +133
    We have just ordered a new Motorhome at the NEC having had ours stolen.
    Got a really good deal but somebody just mentioned that if I have a problem I will have to take it back to the original Dealer rather than somebody local as other dealers are reluctant to carry out warranty work? Obvioulsy hoping that it wont be the case but............... I have had new cars and company cars supplied from all over the place and never had a problem with servicing and warranty work, but realise a motorhome is different!

2. bigtwin

bigtwin Funster

Ratings:
    +1,668
    Only if you want to!

You’ll either be unlucky and have to travel to the distant dealer or you’ll get a decent vehicle and you won’t.

No point in speculating at this point in time.

Just look forward to the delivery date.

BTW, which van did you buy.

Ian

3. Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,576
    Unfortunately that WILL be the case with warranty work
    Your local dealer will send you packing probably, but will happily let you service it there

What have you bought?

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Steve Thompson

Steve Thompson Funster

Ratings:
    +133
    Hi Guys
    I think you are right-worrying about something that may never happen!! Just a bit neurotic that I've made the right choice in the aftermath of having the last one stolen!

Its a Rollerteam Zefiro 696 on a Fiat Chassis. On a positive note if it needs to go back we can spend more time in the English Riviera!!!

Picking it up then off to Vanbitz in Taunton for a Growler Non Started and Gaslo fitting.

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  5. CazPaul

CazPaul Funster

Ratings:
    +5,849
    Make sure it's a good handover get all your questions ready beforehand and stay near the dealer for a few days to check every single thing.
    Ask dealer if owt go wrong can you get some of it done local n he pays, he may do for minor things.

• Like it Like it x 2
  6. Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,576
    Hope it goes well.

7. sonny

sonny Funster

Ratings:
    +614
    Be prepared to walk away if the handover is not to your satisfaction, remember any promises made to you could be broken .

• Like it Like it x 2
  8. maison

maison Funster

Ratings:
    +10,650
    We must be lucky.

We have an independent repair workshop near us that is Authorised by most of the main manufacturers.

We have used them for servicing and warranty repairs for the last 20+ years. We have bought our m/hs from dealers within about 120 miles but have only once had to return to the original dealership. That was for a software upgrade that the independent admitted they didn’t feel competent to carry out.

It may be worthwhile googling for your own area.

9. Steve Thompson

Steve Thompson Funster

Ratings:
    +133
    Great advice will do! On it now - I never used to worry about what ifs - must be getting old!!!

10. Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57 Funster

Ratings:
    +1,576
  11. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Ratings:
    +7,919
    Have you spoken to your dealer and asked about servicing? Are they expecting you to take it to them everytime it needs work or do they have arrangements with other dealers?

12. nicholsong

nicholsong Funster

Ratings:
    +3,948
    I would first contact the manufacturer and ask them what arrangements they have with their dealer network for warranty work. Some of them guarantee it can be done by any of their dealers and that is written into their dealer agency agreement.

This seems to e more common with Continental manufacturers, because they are used to buyers travelling all over the Continent and do not expect owners to drive from Portugal to Dusseldorf to fix a problem.

Geoff

• Like it Like it x 1
  13. Steve Thompson

Steve Thompson Funster

Ratings:
    +133
    Just read the warranty info and it says clearly
    • Subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions below, Roller Team will at its own cost, through its dealer network:
    And then it goes on to list everything - so it indicates that you are be able to take it anywhere not just where you have bought it from.
    Planning to stop away for a night in Taunton at Van bitz so will make sure that everything is working before heading home once the Alarm etc is fitted.
    Probably worrying about nothing but thanks for your input!!!!

14. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +54,662
    Through its dealer network does not mean that you can pick any dealer
    It means that a dealer will sort out problems, not the manufacturer

• Like it Like it x 1
  15. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +19,770
    smart phones are a fantastic tool, video the handover so you can review it over and over again

16. Steve Thompson

Steve Thompson Funster

Ratings:
    +133
    See your point-interpretation of terms - it depends how you look at it.
    I can now see it is the manufacturer putting it back in the dealers court, but I read it as any dealer.I will get it clarified so that I am Comfortable with the agreement.
    Will video the handover as I am bound to forget!
    Have a friend with exactly the same model I will have him on speed dial

17. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +31,488
    Unfortunately that still means that the dealers can choose whether they take on any work, either warranty or hab servicing, on a vehicle that they haven't sold ... and it's quite rare for them to agree to do so and manufacturers cannot make a dealer do the work. For the base vehicle, however, there isn't usually an issue so long as the workshop/garage has the suitable equipment to carry out servicing etc on it (eg a heavy duty lift). It's nothing like the normal car/van manufacturers where most of their franchised or manufacturer owned places will look after your vehicle regardless of where it came from.

We bought a Rimor once from a dealer which would have required a 500 mile round trip if we'd needed to return there, but we found a local 'independent' chap who had the necessary manufacturer approval to be able to do warranty work and hab checks. With our current camper again we bought it from another long distance dealer, again meaning another 500+ mile round trip but we agreed that if we needed warranty work etc doing it could be done locally to us by an independent MH workshop if needs be, this doesn't include hab servicing though which still has to be done at a Globecar workshop.

What you have to bear in mind, though is that a lot of the stuff in a MH that could go wrong would be covered by the individual equipment manufacturer, eg Truma, Thetford etc, so they could deal with claims anyway rather than going to the MH manufacturer who just put the 'jigsaw puzzle' of bits together.

So to some extent ... yes ... you ARE worrying unduly! :D

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Steve Thompson

Steve Thompson Funster

Ratings:
    +133
    Thanks!
    Just going to enjoy it and stop thinking what if!!!!!
    Cheers

• Love it Love it x 1
  19. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +5,544
    Why don’t you find a dealer closer to you and ask if they would be prepared to do any work if required, as long as you are prepared to be a bit flexible about it and let them know that you realise their own sales warranties would take priority, we have been doing that with our imported van for three years coming up for four.(y)

20. Steve Thompson

Steve Thompson Funster

Ratings:
    +133
    Great advice thanks!!! Love Salisbury have family there my cousins son plays for Salisbury RFCI am on it with a more local,dealer
    Cheers

• Like it Like it x 1