Butane and bulkhead regulator update (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Some may remember that I had problems with excessive sooting in our fridge chimney and carbon monoxide production from our oven when running on butane.

Well, I checked the regulator pressure today and found that its ouput pressure is 40mbar (as opposed to the 30 it should be doing). I think that's enough to explain our problems.

The present one is a Truma Secumotion one. Should I replace it with the same or are there better ones out there?

Tim

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
If you are having to replace anyway why not fit a propane regulator as it's output is more stable over a much wider temperature range?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Propane doesn't freeze til minus 43C but butane will start to freeze at about 5C so for year round use butane is not suitable

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Agreed, but what has this got to do with a bulkhead regulator?
Not quite sure where you're going with this but I assume that your point is that a bulkhead regulator can have an input hose for either type of bottle?
The regulators although usually have the same 30Mb output the bottle pressures are different as propane is higher and the regulators are therefore different.
Butane through a propane regulator should have no problem but not sensible to put propane through a butane regulator.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I assume you checked the pressure with at least one appliance turned on? You will get an incorrect (higher) reading if not.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Sometime ago the brains in the EU decided that rather than use either a Butane regulator running at 28 psi or a Propane reg running at 37 psi specifically for the respective gases there would be harmonisation to a standard bulkhead regulator running at 30 psi for use with either gas. This also involved the gradual change of new gas using equipment to best accept this compromise pressure. To suggest that the OP should change to a propane (37 psi) regulator would mean feeding his fridge with a pressure to which it is not suited. IMHO his Truma Secumotion reg is clearly faulty and should be replaced with a similar unit that both supplies 30 psi and the secure motion function.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Some may remember that I had problems with excessive sooting in our fridge chimney and carbon monoxide production from our oven when running on butane.

Well, I checked the regulator pressure today and found that its ouput pressure is 40mbar (as opposed to the 30 it should be doing). I think that's enough to explain our problems.

The present one is a Truma Secumotion one. Should I replace it with the same or are there better ones out there?

Tim

Tim, what colour is the flame of fridge gas burner? It should be predominately blue with minimal yellow tips.

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I assume you checked the pressure with at least one appliance turned on? You will get an incorrect (higher) reading if not.

Ah, good point. I had forgotten that. I shall re-check tomorrow.

Having said that, the symptoms do seem to fit with an excessive system pressure.

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Not quite sure where you're going with this but I assume that your point is that a bulkhead regulator can have an input hose for either type of bottle?
The regulators although usually have the same 30Mb output the bottle pressures are different as propane is higher and the regulators are therefore different.
Butane through a propane regulator should have no problem but not sensible to put propane through a butane regulator.

Um, wrong way round. Butane through a traditional 37mbar propane regulator would be supplied at a higher pressure than normal. Through a 30mbar bulkhead regulator it's only being supplied at 1 mbar higher that "normal".

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can you not see the flame from the outside with the vent grill removed?

Not really. The base of the flame perhaps but the top is hidden in the chimney. A bit academic though as the soot shows that there *must* be incomplete combustion.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Um, wrong way round. Butane through a traditional 37mbar propane regulator would be supplied at a higher pressure than normal. Through a 30mbar bulkhead regulator it's only being supplied at 1 mbar higher that "normal".
You have misread my post.
Modern butane and propane regulators are both 30Mb output but are designed for different gas input pressure.
I had not replied with reference to your existing drive safe unit rather than the type of gas used.
It was @Dorset Diver who then asked the questions about the gas difference even though he already knew the answers and so ended going off topic.
Not a problem though as you both have worked out how to rectify.
Good luck with getting it sorted

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@Derbyshire wanderer I think you will find that with bulkhead regulators there is no such thing as Butane or Propane specific units. The harmonisation was aimed at one size fits all. I don't agree with the idea, but that is the situation. Generally speaking it suits the continental market as most of the bottled gas supplied there is a mix of Butane and Propane and the mix is adjusted throughout the year to suit warmer and cooler weather.

Deleted User
@Derbyshire wanderer Generally speaking it suits the continental market as most of the bottled gas supplied there is a mix of Butane and Propane and the mix is adjusted throughout the year to suit warmer and cooler weather.

Don't think so!....everwhere I have been in Europe both Propane and Butane are the only types of bottled gas apart possibly from some bbq gas.

Autogas varies from country to country but bottled gas is either Propane or Butane, at least that's what it says on the bottles.

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ah, good point. I had forgotten that. I shall re-check tomorrow.

Having said that, the symptoms do seem to fit with an excessive system pressure.

Okay, I've rechecked it and it's 33 mbar. 3 mbar over spec but this doesn't feel like enough to cause the problems but maybe it is? Thoughts?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sometime ago the brains in the EU decided that rather than use either a Butane regulator running at 28 psi or a Propane reg running at 37 psi specifically for the respective gases there would be harmonisation to a standard bulkhead regulator running at 30 psi for use with either gas. This also involved the gradual change of new gas using equipment to best accept this compromise pressure. To suggest that the OP should change to a propane (37 psi) regulator would mean feeding his fridge with a pressure to which it is not suited. IMHO his Truma Secumotion reg is clearly faulty and should be replaced with a similar unit that both supplies 30 psi and the secure motion function.
I hope not, you would have a serious fire on your hands.
You mean 28 and 37 millibar don't you ! :D

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the main thing is what pressures etc are the items designed for . some used to be 50mb
i know my cooker came with a list of what mbr and what jet sizes to use etc .
possibly the fridge involved as a similar sticker or info with it .

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Blue on propane, with some yellow tips on butane.

Not far our then but marginally better on Propane. Perhaps as @vwalan suggests the jetting is wrong or the air supply is not good. The only other thing I can think of is the flow from the regulator. If you turn on all of the appliances do the cooker rings die back or just keep going with little or no change as they should?

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Not far our then but marginally better on Propane. Perhaps as @vwalan suggests the jetting is wrong or the air supply is not good. The only other thing I can think of is the flow from the regulator. If you turn on all of the appliances do the cooker rings die back or just keep going with little or no change as they should?

I turned all the rings on but the pressure stayed up at 33mbar so clearly the regulator is regulating, just not at the right pressure.

I must admit I rather resent the thought of spending over £80 to get another "crash safe" regulator to achieve a 3mbar drop. Tempted to have a closer look at it to see if there's a "hidden" preset screw or adjustment as in all other respects, it's working fine.

(Before anyone screams, yes I do know that I shouldn't blah, blah blah, but I have more faith in my own ability to leave the system "safe" than a tech guy who doesn't actually sleep in the van. Nothing like having a vested interest to concentrate the mind. )

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
IMO a 3.0 m/bar discrepancy is not going to cause the problem you are reporting. I think that it would be considered to be within spec but of course only Truma can say for sure. If the cooker and other burners are running well perhaps you should have a look at the fridge burner itself.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back