Busy Highlands (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Just back from a 2 day visit to Fort William from Edinburgh in the car and would have to say I have never seen the Highlands so busy at this time of year. If it continues August will be absolutely rammed!

Couple of things - we passed quite a few cyclist on the Glencoe road - I don't want to start a cyclist/motorist rant between people, look at this as a public service message, but I would not recommend anyone to attempt cycling along theGlencoe road at this time of year, given the volume of traffic we saw and yes we are very experienced cyclists. You will take your life in your hands.

Other thing was, despite the 'Green Wellie' stop in Tyndrum being 'stuffed' with people on Monday we noticed a continental style 24 hour laundry set up, similar to the ones you find in France and segregated parking for motorhomes. We didn't find out if overnight parking was allowed though.
PS the weather was brilliant!

End of public service announcement!

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Completely the opposite to me. We got back from a 5 dayer..glencoe quiet. Fort william...meh.Skye and Kyle of lochalsh quiet.tarbet pier average. Kelpies dead falkirk average...

Strange

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Yes overnight stopping is allowed. We were there last week. We experienced the opposite however regarding being busy. Uig campsite on Skye was about 1/4 full. Only 3 motorhomes on the Harris ferry. Stayed at 3 pubs allowing overnights only once were we not the only van. Very few other vans at both Hushinnish and Luskentyre beach campervan stops. Only 1 other van at Uig Sands restaurant which allows overnights.
Even our first couple of nights in Northumberland at Beadnell the site wasn’t full.
Overall a nice quiet trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Aviemore busy especially on Sunday but not unusually so
One thing to note though if you want to eat out at night you need to book in plenty time.

OP
OP
clanjones
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
What surprised us was it wasn't just motorhomes. There was generally a lot of traffic for a Monday, presumably folks heading for self catering and camping.

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Schools finished up here last week was bound to be busier with the lack of foreign travel available this year. Going to wait until the schools are back before heading further up North.
Schools go back mid August so will quieten down a bit then I'd imagine.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We didn’t find it busy at all when we were round Loch Awe in half term.

We did get stuck in traffic on the bank holiday round Glasgow but that’s expected.

I think if you are sensible and carry on if it’s busy, then it will be okay. We went for a forestry commission site and it was heaving! People were parked on the road outside it was so jammed. We carried on 3 miles to the next car park which was empty. The mind boggles.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
continental style 24 hour laundry set up, similar to the ones you find in France
Been there for a few yrs now also one at Cornwall services , not very close together 😂 tynedrum/Victoria .

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Schools go back mid August so will quieten down a bit then I'd imagine.
In Scotland yes...but rmbr England schools 3 weeks behind us so there will still be plenty from England up here into Sept..

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Been there for a few yrs now also one at Cornwall services , not very close together 😂 tynedrum/Victoria .
There are quite a few around the U.K. now. We used one at Muir of Ord, passed another on the road from there into Inverness and saw another on the A96 near Nairn. Very easy to use; card operated, detergent included, you can even ask fir a text to tell you when ready. They also have tumble dryers. Two sizes, 8kg and 18k.

There is a location map in their website. Will find the link and post it.

Here’s the link

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
In Scotland yes...but rmbr England schools 3 weeks behind us so there will still be plenty from England up here into Sept..
I'll hopefully be in France then 🤞🤞👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back