Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Any smell from them all dying?
We obviously hoovered up those that we could see, there will definitely be others out of sight. We bought three air fresheners and three days into this trip no more live ones found, and if there is a smell we can’t detect it.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
A further tip concerning the spray mist, we have a dedicated plastic wine glass, put a little of the spray mixture in the bottom, and cup the glass over the newly hatched bug, and knock it down into the mixture. They all die. We are becoming aware of where they come from. One place seems to be behind the passenger side blind frame. Possibly also the microwave surround.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I found one more yesterday when I opened the exterior hatch to the leisure battery compartment. I grabbed it before it could disappear. It must have released something as the smell was nasty.

Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
I had no idea this thread was still running! We moved here from Wells (Carlton Mews) to escape the late night noisy drunks, the kids in the park at all hours, the idiotic car drivers and the daily invasions of elderly Welsh ladies by the coach-load for the charity shops. Sure, we've had invasions of shield bugs and, a couple of years ago, the ladybirds but I'll take them any day in preference. Not forgetting the thunder flies, large wasps and black ants. Granted the big bugs are a bit off-putting and the almondy smell isn't pleasant but a 28kg vizsla has her moments too! And we bought her.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I still keep finding the odd one but I've never had the bad smell from any of them thankfully.
I'm just hoping they're all evicted now

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 2, 2023
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
We got back from SE France last September, have found a couple since then, most recently one that suddenly appeared last week while we were in Scotland. How long do they survive in hiding???

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
We got back from SE France last September, have found a couple since then, most recently one that suddenly appeared last week while we were in Scotland. How long do they survive in hiding???
No idea how long they can last hidden away but seems it's 8+ months at least.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Found another two today both alive and kicking. I suspect that they may be coming out of hibernation. Just found another 🤬.

Aug 11, 2023
Ely, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria 640 Twin
Exp
Since 2015
Everywhere! Millions of the breeders. They hide in the crooks and grannies! They hide in the window surrounds. They can get through the air vents and rooflight mini vents. SW France this is. And also massive hornets, tho not so many! Yuckety yuck!
They’ll be with you for ever! We THINK we’ve seen the last of them from Saint Disant du Gua June 2023.🙏🙏

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We're now in SW France, back at the original infestation point. No sign so far of any bugsie family reunion, just the occasional one that pops out from the van to be quickly captured and immersed in washing up water. The idea of checking out the engine battery compartment as the habitation battery locker was the place of the original nest. Not exactly quick thinking, huh?

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Just sitting in the sun on the IOM and noticed this guy on my wind break they're in the IOM as well 😱

20240525_135536.jpg

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
As an aside........ I find that they smell of coriander when squidged.This is acceptable, but the smell lingers on the fingers if not enough kitchen roll is deployed during their demise.

They are the the work of the devil! Next time I encounter a massive, French swarm I'll be off, quick-smart, instead of just saying "quite a lot of these beetle-type things aren't there sweetheart. I better have more wine".

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Ok that’s interesting. We had a few in van last autumn in Dijon but found 2 yesterday - in NW Highlands, Scotland. Not sure if they’re left overs or if they’re resident here.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ok that’s interesting. We had a few in van last autumn in Dijon but found 2 yesterday - in NW Highlands, Scotland. Not sure if they’re left overs or if they’re resident here.
We do get them in the UK in small numbers, later in summer I think, but I'm pretty sure yours will be stowaways ?

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Post bomb update......one recently deceased bug discovered after detonation, so it appears that 2 cans of the previously pictured bug-bombs may have done the trick. That said, we will only know for sure when we go off on a trip in the sun. I dread both hearing the horrific buzzing noise produced when these things muster up the energy to take to the wing, and watching one walk across the telly screen, just when you thought that the last one must surely have actually been the last one!

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
They do seem very temperature sensitive. It was a colder day today, so only two or three appeared today, yesterday it was quite warm and very many more appeared mid-day and later. We're quite efficient at knobbling them now. Still don't know were they are hiding, but can't do the bomb thing until we return to UK coz we need the van to sleep in.

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Full van clean conducted over the last few days. We found about a dozen bugs, all dead. No smell from them. Seems that the bombs did the trick, hopefully.
I used 2 Total Release cans in my van, just to make sure!. Covered soft furnishings and removed the contents of drawers and cupboards. Followed the instructions and all is well. No unpleasant smell left from the spray and no mess. Just dead bugs.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Full van clean conducted over the last few days. We found about a dozen bugs, all dead. No smell from them. Seems that the bombs did the trick, hopefully.
I used 2 Total Release cans in my van, just to make sure!. Covered soft furnishings and removed the contents of drawers and cupboards. Followed the instructions and all is well. No unpleasant smell left from the spray and no mess. Just dead bugs.
You hope 🤞🏻 😁 🪲

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I was away in the van last week and two emerged from somewhere to sit on a surface and startle me as they hadn't been there a few moments previously 🤬
I'm hoping that's the end of them and wondering if I really want to go back to the Dordogne in September ?

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I was away in the van last week and two emerged from somewhere to sit on a surface and startle me as they hadn't been there a few moments previously 🤬
I'm hoping that's the end of them and wondering if I really want to go back to the Dordogne in September ?
Well, we went back to the original location in the Gers where we had picked up the infestation. It was fairly warm, and each day we had a steady number of new bugs which with our new improved killer system we rapidly disposed of. We are now in the Charente where it is much cooler and we've only seen a couple of very small stinkies. They were live in the original garden, where SWMBO said that they were coming in from, so it could be that she's right. Hopefully we will not need the bomb approach, if so.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Been seeing them regularly for 8 months now but here in Le Mans where it is reasonably warm we've not see any for a week. Maybe they're all gone? 🤞

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Been seeing them regularly for 8 months now but here in Le Mans where it is reasonably warm we've not see any for a week. Maybe they're all gone? 🤞
Hope so. As I said above, we had plenty in southern France last week or so. Will be passing thru Le Mans tomorrow, pleased to hear it's warm there. Not here!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back