Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
We are still getting at least one a day and it’s nearly eight months later 🙄

Not prepared to do the bomb idea as I’d rather dispatch them than have them dead in all the hidey holes.

I’m relatively sure they don’t breed/ lay eggs indoors from research we’ve done but they are just masters of getting in to everywhere!

When Dave had to take one of the front doors apart to repair it we going a few right behind all the vinyl/ foam etc.

In 15 years travelling this is the first time we’ve spotted more than a few in a year.

Ours were picked up on a campsite about 30
miles north of Bordeaux.
I'm surprised, without breeding, that they are alive nearly a year later in less temperate clims?
In your research, did it say how long they lived? 🤔

Reactions: Ven
Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
I can see what you mean ref die and smelling, we’ve never had them but then we’ve only been doing m / homing a couple of years in eu ,
With the smoke bombs flies will go absolutely crazy as soon as you light the bombs to try and get out of loft / rooms .
I think I would try a few bombs if ever I get them .
Can’t be worst than the dog blowing off 😂
Stick in a auto air thresher spray 👍

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
They can crop up anywhere, but further south there were hundreds all on a mission to get into any motorhome they could.
Did you have similar experience ?
I only saw a few in the Loire, this may have been from the Ardèche a few years ago as there were loads there and they do just keep on randomly appearing

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
We got them in South France last Autumn. It was like a plague. Millions everywhere. Sadly, they like white things, such as motorhomes. They also like bright things, such as TVs in motorhomes. They also like warm things, again like motorhomes.
They are utter b@&#ards!

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
At least four surfaced today due to the heat. Apparently the USA also has a problem with these stink bugs. Just glad they don't bite. Will avoid France in the Autumn.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I found I was brushing them off the door fly screen to go in, they'd fly around then land on my back and get in hitching a ride 🤬
It was the OH who noticed, so procedure then was after brushing fly screen, remove t shirt for a shake
Of course they still managed to get in.
If it wasn't for them we'd have spent more time there, but as it was we just wanted to get away from the damn things.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Has anyone tried the blue light things that attract flys, wasps etc?
I have one, a cheapo chinese one running of usb so 5v. Surprisingly good for flyey things, but would never cope with a stink bug. Their hard shell is effectively their wings. They are clumsy in flight, but they can find a crack instantly and melt into it so quick. As was said, their decaying smell is even worse and you know it'll hang around. Just one appeared today 😁

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
In desperation I bought a pack ok 4 smoke bombs from Amazon, where would we be without them! After emptying all soft furnishings, clothes etc I lit all four yesterday at the same time with windows closed and some vents taped over. This morning there were deceased bugs everywhere, approximately 60-80, some of the larger ones were on their back but still wriggling!
Have I got them all? No idea, time will tell I guess. 🤞

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
In desperation I bought a pack ok 4 smoke bombs from Amazon, where would we be without them! After emptying all soft furnishings, clothes etc I lit all four yesterday at the same time with windows closed and some vents taped over. This morning there were deceased bugs everywhere, approximately 60-80, some of the larger ones were on their back but still wriggling!
Wow, that's surprising there were so many.
I hope you got them all 👍

Must admit, it's making me question whether to go back to SW France this year

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
What are they called? The minute the sun comes out, the bugs still appear!

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Despite several through cleans since Sept / Oct last year I found another seven in the MH this morning. All dead but they still keep coming :eek:.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Little tip. Instead of using nasty chemicals, fill a hand mist sprayer with a mixture of water and a little washing up liquid. It kills them fairly quickly but just enough to make them suffer a little. Oh no I didn't say that did I? Gods creatures and all 😁!

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Just to really concern those affected, we thought we had throughly cleaned last Autumn on our return from France. We were away at Easter, none seen. I started preparing for this trip about the time the weather improved a couple of weeks ago, fixing those things that broke or didn’t work and started finding the odd shield bug on the windows each day. Never more than three but when trying to catch them with a cup of soapy water the smart ones were flying into the heating vents, so I figured they had hatched a new batch in the heating system. After using the smoke bombs we cleaned up 60-80 dead ones, so I’m as sure as I can be that you guys finding one or two a day will have a similar problem, sorry to be the bearer, but they replicate like mice.

Mar 21, 2022
Bradford, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2009
We have had about 10 - 12 come out over the last week, we have just travelled through France again this, but these little sods are from our trip in September last year.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Just to really concern those affected, we thought we had throughly cleaned last Autumn on our return from France. We were away at Easter, none seen. I started preparing for this trip about the time the weather improved a couple of weeks ago, fixing those things that broke or didn’t work and started finding the odd shield bug on the windows each day. Never more than three but when trying to catch them with a cup of soapy water the smart ones were flying into the heating vents, so I figured they had hatched a new batch in the heating system. After using the smoke bombs we cleaned up 60-80 dead ones, so I’m as sure as I can be that you guys finding one or two a day will have a similar problem, sorry to be the bearer, but they replicate like mice.
What bombs do you use?

PS. I've no wish to blow the bloody doors off!

Jun 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner lyseo 590
I know no where near as many as some have but just found 4… we were in the dordogne last September too

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
They're still appearing, one or two a day. Look fairly young, so they must still be breeding. No obvious location, but there must be a source somewhere. They are so good at hiding.

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
What bombs do you use?

PS. I've no wish to blow the bloody doors off!
I use these from Amazon press trigger down and run 🫣

IMG_3887.jpeg

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
Any smell from them all dying?

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Just read the instructions and after use cleaning instructions 😲 . I think I will give them a miss.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back