David SS

Free Member
Sep 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
David Smailes
Exp
A class Dethleff
Hi, the lock on the habitation door of our Dethleff has broken and i just cannot see how to replace this. I have removed the internal mechanism cover bit this doesnt allow me to remove the part. Do i somehow need to prise the cover off the external handle to get to more screws? i am sure there must be a simple solution but at the moment i cannot see how i can replace this part, Thanks, David

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi David Welcome.
its likely a sieze door with a Hartal lock on the Dethleffs .
is this the type?

is the barrel broken or is the mechanism ?

OP
OP
D

David SS

Free Member
Sep 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
David Smailes
Exp
A class Dethleff
Hi Phil
i think its the mechanism as the key seems to turn OK but it just doesnt engage the locks
i also cannot see how to remove the lock without somehow peeling the door into two parts. There must be something simple that i am missing

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i believe you can remove the barrel from the outside with a special key after unlocking the barrel. depends which type of lock as to which type of key you need.
on the back of the barrel there is a tongue that locates in the mechanism i have had that tongue shear so the lock operates but does not lock or unlock the door mechanism.
maybe post a few pictures if the outer door lock and the inner door release and perhaps someone will be able to give more specific help.

Mar 21, 2015
notts
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Try searching ..
Broken handle return spring.

It worked for me a few years back (y)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
If it's a Hartal door you need to perform the following to gain access to the rear of the lock:

1) remove the internal grab handle by removing the plastic screw covers and unscrewing the two screws
2) remove the two plastic shims surrounding the internal locking facia
3) remove the internal plastic door cover (smallest section furthest from hinge). This is held in place by industrial velcro around the perimeter of the door and where it connects with the larger section.

I replaced the complete lock which came complete with external handle...cost about £200. I reused the existing lock barrel which was secured to the mechanism with a circlip.

Reason for replacing lock was because external plastic handle had been forced and broken.

The lock mechanism connects with vertical rods which operate the upper and lower latching arms. You may find that one of these rods has become detached as they are only connected with a plastic connector.

Best of luck but feel you need to strip the internal door trim to investigate the problem. You could initially try operating the lock from the outside, with the door open, to check if the latching mechanism is working as expected.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back