Brittany Ferries - No Refund, No Voucher. (1 Viewer)

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I booked a BF crossing from Roscoff to Plymouth in early April which was cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak. Despite repeated efforts to get a refund or credit voucher from either Direct Ferries (used for booking online) or Brittany Ferries, I've had nothing from them.

Neither company is responding to e-mails or their online contact forms.

I have to rebook the crossing urgently for as soon as the passenger services restart in order to get back to the UK to care for my father who is due to be released from hospital at the end of June following a stroke. Obviously I don't want to have to pay for another crossing while still awaiting refund/credit for the original.

Does anyone know if there are phone lines I could use, please?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
BF are not taking incoming calls except for freight bookings.
June bookings for passengers are being cancelled up to 15th June.
I would suggest you complete the contact us page attached

edit sorry I just read they are not responding to online contact us.
have you tried tweeting them?

OP
OP
Falcon 269

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Like I said in my post, I've tried the online contact forms several times and have heard nothing back from them.

I was told back in April that it might take a few weeks to catch up with the demand but this is ridiculous now.

I guess I might just have to use the freight line and try to get some help from whoever answers the phone.

Has anyone else had this trouble getting a refund or credit note?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Like I said in my post, I've tried the online contact forms several times and have heard nothing back from them.

I was told back in April that it might take a few weeks to catch up with the demand but this is ridiculous now.

I guess I might just have to use the freight line and try to get some help from whoever answers the phone.

Has anyone else had this trouble getting a refund or credit note?
Don’t bother tweeting they are not responding to tweets.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Tunnel is still operating if all else fails. (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Has anyone had anything back from any ferry or airline, we are still waiting for a Ryanair refund, just can't get anything out of them, some say they have been offered vouchers, we havnt even had that.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
My son got a full refund from Easyjet, took about 14 days from application to refund.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you've paid by credit card should you be considering using the protection under that for a refund from your card provider? Should take the stress and strain out of trying to contact the operator. Might even gee the operator along if they start getting a multitude of chasers from the card providers?
I don't know the answers so just a thought provoking exercise.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I'm in the same b...…. situation, but when I saw the cancellation coming I moved the booking until 1st November (the longest date they offered) so I've now got four tickets all for the 1/11/2020 but I'll start splitting them up as France opens up.

Deleted User
Can't help with the refund but BF are apparently letting passengers on at least one sailing next week for repatriation, may possibly have been arranged through the British consulate.

Doesn't sound like fun though, stay in cabin for 32 hours and take your own food,

OP
OP
Falcon 269

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Should have perhaps made it clearer in my original post. I'm not rushing to get to the UK before the end of June because Dad isn't due out of hospital until then.

I know that Eurotunnel is an option if the passenger ferries haven't started up again in time.

My preference is Roscoff-Plymouth because it's only 14 miles from the port to Liskeard.

I don't want to have to book - and pay for - another ticket, either with Brittany Ferries or any other operator if that's at all possible.

I just want to get Brittany Ferries/Direct Ferries to deliver either the refund or the travel credit voucher I was promised back at the end of March when the original crossing was cancelled.

I will contact my credit card company next week if other avenues fail.

I just wondered if any other Funsters had suffered similar problems and found a way to get through to BF/DF.

Thanks.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
TBH - If my dad had had a stroke and was lucky enough to be coming out of hospital alive and I had to buy another ferry/tunnel ticket it would be inconsequential compared with my joy.
The refund will surely arrive at some point and even if I was given a voucher I really wouldn't care whether I was ever likely to use it. But I accept that we're not all the same.
My mum died whilst on hol in Brittany with my dad and an aunt and disabled uncle (all elderly) and BF at Portsmouth couldn't have done more. They even guided me in the car right to the ship on the quay, ensured that they were first off, a crew member brought their suitcases to my car and an official cleared me through all checkpoints without having to show any documents and straight out of the port.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We’re still waiting for refund from Loganair for my son’s flights to Dortmund which were cancelled ..

OP
OP
Falcon 269

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Accepting that we're not all the same, and offering no opinion here on how I feel about Dad's situation - because it isn't relevant - I just want to try and sort this out in the next few weeks before we set off, if that's possible.

I have the time to do it now, so that's why I'm asking for practical advice. With the emphasis on practical. :)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Accepting that we're not all the same, and offering no opinion here on how I feel about Dad's situation - because it isn't relevant - I just want to try and sort this out in the next few weeks before we set off, if that's possible.

I have the time to do it now, so that's why I'm asking for practical advice. With the emphasis on practical. :)
Since you'll be coming back anyway, by one method or another and if as you say you can't contact them beforehand my point was that if you just turn up and explain the situation they will be likely to accommodate you.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I received a refund on friday from Qatari for our cancelled flights from 3rd April, that was from an initial online form when I told them I didn’t want vouchers as they were non transferable so no use to my family if I was dead. Also I can’t imagine we will want to fly long haul in the forseable future due to getting insurance on new bookings. I think you will just have to book another crossing and be patient, you will get your refund in the end.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
If you've paid by credit card should you be considering using the protection under that for a refund from your card provider? Should take the stress and strain out of trying to contact the operator. Might even gee the operator along if they start getting a multitude of chasers from the card providers?
I don't know the answers so just a thought provoking exercise.
This is good advice. If you paid by credit card and it was for more than £100 (likely) as you've tried to get a refund from BF, to no avail, just go to the card provider.
Good luck!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back