Brittany Ferries Cap Finistere SOLD - Salamanca is almost ready & Fire aboard Cotentin. (2 Viewers)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Well sadly, it seem “The Cap” (cap Finistere ( not the captain)). Has been sold and will be leaving BF.

Salamanca :

Sister ship to Chinese built Galicia is almost ready. It sailed as do most vessels from that region through the Suez Canal. And re-fuelled in Singapore, Malta, Cartagena, Spain amongst other stops.

It’s not good news for those who want to cross Biscay in a hurry’s as it’s takes around 50% longer to cross, it’s more expensive and a lot of travellers don’t like Galicia which it’s almost identical too, fuel being the biggest difference.

Maybe those booked on could give us a review when the have got to the other side ?.

Fire broke out in generator compartment of BRITANNY’s ferry COTENTIN, berthed at Le Havre, at 1120 LT Jan 5, shortly after arriving from Portsmouth. 34 firefighters responded, fire understood to be extinguished, no injures reported. At the time of an accident, there were only 38 crew on board and no passengers. Extent of damages unknown, probably there are some, because as of 1450 LT the ship was still in port. She’s serving Le Havre – Portsmouth line.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Our return crossing, Cherbourg to Poole in June is supposed to be on the Salamanca and as you say it takes 6hrs rather than 4 hrs for the day crossing. They are using the older ferries for the overnight crossing on the return journeys by the looks of things. We do like Poole as it’s only an hour from home which is so relaxing compared with the hike all the way up to Dover or the tunnel.

Flexi fares for the price of standard until 22nd Feb, 15% off with our Spanish Club voyage and we had £70 worth of friends and family vouchers to use so price not bad.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It’s not good news for those who want to cross Biscay in a hurry’s as it’s takes around 50% longer to cross, it’s more expensive and a lot of travellers don’t like Galicia which it’s almost identical too, fuel being the biggest difference.
Does it take longer because it’s slower or does it stop in France on the way?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Does it take longer because it’s slower or does it stop in France on the way?
It takes longer.

As far as I know. Salamanca will serve just the Portsmouth - Bilbao route. As they are French crewed, there will be days like the Portsmouth - Bilbao Sunday that Cap Finistere used to stop in Roscoff or Brest if Stormy

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It takes longer.

As far as I know. Salamanca will serve just the Portsmouth - Bilbao route. As they are French crewed, there will be days like the Portsmouth - Bilbao Sunday that Cap Finistere used to stop in Roscoff or Brest if Stormy
As I said in my earlier post, we’re booked to return from Cherbourg to Poole on the Salamanca in June so they’re obviously doing a mixture.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
To be honest we do prefer the one night cruises to Spain from England but if it avoids a long drive a 2 night will do. When I want to do France I will just use the tunnel.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
To be honest we do prefer the one night cruises to Spain from England but if it avoids a long drive a 2 night will do. When I want to do France I will just use the tunnel.
I’m sure we’d do the same for France if we weren’t so close to Poole. Even Portsmouth and Plymouth are only 2 hours. We can then avoid the miserable A303, M3, M25 etc

We do occasionally go to Dover , or Newhaven/Dieppe to save money but usually regret it!

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I’m sure we’d do the same for France if we weren’t so close to Poole. Even Portsmouth and Plymouth are only 2 hours. We can then avoid the miserable A303, M3, M25 etc

We do occasionally go to Dover , or Newhaven/Dieppe to save money but usually regret it!
You should try the miserable

M60
M56
M6
M42
M40
M25
M26
/M20

And a 6-11 hour crawl.

Hence why I try to get North Sea ferries/Brittany ferries.

Just hoping the P&O North Sea stays open

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
We are booked on the Salamanca end of August from Portsmouth to Cherbourg. Coming back from Santander to Plymouth on the pont aven at the end of October

Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back