Brittany Ferries amendment cancellation experiences (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I have a return BF Santander flexi ticket booked mid March/mid May and I have no personal knowledge of the exact procedures, protocols or things to be mindful of should I need to amend or even cancel the crossings. I know it all can be done, and believe BF are very helpful.

I have just discovered I need a part for my Fiat Ducato, which is on back order, with no idea when it may come, a fuel pump fault ☹️.

I’ve read the rules and it all looks too simple to be true but if I amend, which would be the favoured option, but given an impending operation later in the year I may not be able to travel this year and there are no timetables out for when I may go and I cannot see any online advice for that.

It doesn’t say I can just bank the money paid so I suspect I may have to book a future sailing regardless if I intend taking it or not?

The cancellation 25% deduction refund 75% rule is simple and there seems to be no hitches to that?

It was booked with a BF discount code kindly given by a Funster and I can’t see anything about that in the amendments.

If I cannot travel would someone who has personal experience of having to do this, and have the time to reply, please give me any advice on best way to go about doing it and any pitfalls to avoid which may not be evident from their website.

🤞🏻 it won’t come to this but I’d like to know in advance. We would be so gutted if we could not take the break away, especially before the knee operation that is coming which will restrict travel for a while.

regards in advance, Roy

Sep 28, 2019
Newbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 767 GA
Exp
Since 2018
If you have to amend there is a £20 admin charge every time, and you have to pay the difference between current price and the price you originally paid

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
You can just keep amending it which will not cost you any money unless of course the fare goes up which it probably will. I like many others do not book return tickets but two singles which is better when it comes to amending them.
Unless I’ve read it wrong online, if the price goes down they refund you the balance, if it goes up you pay the extra before making the amendment

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Unless I’ve read it wrong online, if the price goes down they refund you the balance, if it goes up you pay the extra before making the amendment
In the past we have changed from a Spain ferry home to a French one so yes you will get a refund, likewise if the fare has increased then you pay the difference.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
So sorry to read about your knee and the problem with the van, royandsharont.
Hope everything goes well at the end, and you don't have to cancel your trip.
It’s Sharon’s actually Peavy 😜 The back order part may be coming sooner than first thought now so 🤞🏻we will be just fine.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I have amended a number of times ( including due to family bereavement), I have found it best to ring and speak to a BF person directly, they have always been really helpful.
Thanks Jenben for that information, it’s reassuring to know if needed.

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Hi.

Just to add the experience that I had this morning.

I booked a Flexi ticket a long while ago to go to France. I think I booked it in August 2021 for sailings August 2022.

In 2022 I lost my father and then we started to plan a possible move so I then moved the booking as late as I could (I think Nov) as I did not want to be away for a number of weeks when the house sale/buy was going on as we all know its a massive pain, especially when a child moving school is involved.

Last year we moved it again as we wanted to spend the summer in the new house to see what the garden would do (big garden, lots of flowers from previous owners). I therefore moved the booking to August 2024 (not sure if I moved to Nov then Aug but irrelevant).

Last night we was discussing what to do with this years booking as we now have an extra dog but she's a little boisterous and is still a bit young for MoL to look after both so do we go through the hassle of pets passports or not.

Looked on BF booking and see that I could not change anything with the message:

**This reservation cannot be modified online for the following reason:

• As per Brittany Ferries Terms and Conditions, your booking amendment deadline has already passed.**
Anyway thought it might be because we have Dog cabins so called today.

I was told by the representative that all tickets MUST be used within one year of the original booking. she said they relaxed it for COVID (remember that s**t show from BF) but now they are enforcing it and I must sail before the end of October this year.

I asked where in the TC and she took 5 minutes to find this:

Fares are only valid for the sailing dates/times indicated. Open return tickets are not available. The maximum validity of our tickets is 12 months from the date of the outward leg.

I pointed out to her that this is incorrect as the Outward leg had not occured and this is specifically referring to open ended returns which is standard practice in the travel industry that you must use the retun leg of a journey within 12 month of the outward leg but my outward leg has not commenced.

She put me on hold to "talk to a manager" and five mins later reiterated the same but read out some statement about the 12 months from original booking sailing.

I again asked where is was in the T&Cs and she said it was a change in their policy but could not show me the exact wording anywhere that she just read out.

So I have requested the call recording and will be sending in the usual emails and possibly looking to go through small claims if they still insist on the "ad-lib" of the T&Cs. I'll try the credit card company as well.

So if you have an Flexi ticket you are planning on putting off, please call BF (They answered within a few mins) and ask about this as you might be told the same BS as I was.

I have form with this lot, during the COVID I had booking cancelled and they tried to fob me off with vouchers and in the end I got a full cash refund but I pushed all the way and threatened them with Small Claims then.

They are chancers of the highest degree and I think this is the last time I will have anything to do with them.

But beware, they are now trying to say a Flexi ticket is not what it seems.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Spawn_e_git
When you wrote the tickets must be used within 12 months of the original booking, did you actually mean the booking date or within 12 months of the outward bound sailing date.

What you later quoted seems to say after the original outbound sailing.

I booked my ferry in July 23 for a sailing in March 24. On what you said I would only be able to sail in July 24 if amended but I suspect you meant up to March 25 in, my case?

I’ve just read all the T&C and cannot find anything re time limits. Clarification on what they said would be helpful 😊

Last edited:

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Spawn_e_git
When you wrote the tickets must be used within 12 months of the original booking, did you actually mean the booking date or within 12 months of the outward bound sailing date.

What you later quoted seems to say after the original outbound sailing.

I booked my ferry in July 23 for a sailing in March 24. On what you said I would only be able to sail in July 24 if amended but I suspect you meant up to March 25 in, my case?

I’ve just read all the T&C and cannot find anything re time limits. Clarification on what they said would be helpful 😊
From the BS they told me, you would have to use it by March 25.
All I see in the T&C is about open returns which means you must use the return within 12m of the outward sailing.

I'll be sending an email tomorrow about it and I'll update you but they might try and ignore me for a while until the LBA is sent.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Spawn_e_git Thank you, that would be appreciated. We are due to sail 14/3 and return in May but are still awaiting a part and repair to the van to enable us to drive ☹️. It should be done before end of February if all goes well.

Our preference, if we had to amend, would be sail later up to end of April and return 8 weeks later and then if not in March 25. I suppose if the latter and we sailed before 14/3/25 we would be fine.

You just can’t understand why such as this is not clear to see on the website, how else can you agree to the terms if they’re not visible ☹️

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Looks like I’ll be engaging with BF amendment process after all, Sharon’s just got her op date for April so we’ll change to September without a problem 🤞🏻

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Spawn_e_git Thank you, that would be appreciated. We are due to sail 14/3 and return in May but are still awaiting a part and repair to the van to enable us to drive ☹️. It should be done before end of February if all goes well.

Our preference, if we had to amend, would be sail later up to end of April and return 8 weeks later and then if not in March 25. I suppose if the latter and we sailed before 14/3/25 we would be fine.

You just can’t understand why such as this is not clear to see on the website, how else can you agree to the terms if they’re not visible ☹️
Well here you are, response from BF Customer Services.

I'll be sending LBA next week.

‐----------‐------

Dear Mr xxxxx

Thank you for your email which has been passed to me for reply and I'm sorry you remain disappointed with our responses.

Having reviewed the correspondence between us, I'm content that our position in the matter has been explained and clarified and that we have tried to answer your submissions candidly and personally.

In our Terms and Conditions, which you agreed to at the time of booking state the following:

'The maximum validity of our tickets is 12 months from the date of the outward leg.'

Having checked our records I can see that the outward date on the day you made the booking was 5 August 2022 and therefore the validity of the ticket was 12 months from that date, ie, 5 August 2023.

However, due to the uncertainty of travel in the immediate aftermath of Covid, we took the decision not to enforce this rule straightaway but the directors have now made the commercial decision to do so and therefore your ticket is now non-amendable into 2025.

Furthermore, we simply must treat all customers fairly and equitably and allowing you to amend your ticket further would be inconsistent and unfair to those customers similarly affected.

In the meantime, we have requested a transcript of your call as advised by my colleague and will forward this to you in due course.

I am sorry for the additional disappointment this email will bring and hope that despite this we may be able to welcome you back onboard as planned.

Yours sincerely

Charlotte Murray

Senior Customer Services Officer

Charlotte Murray

Customer Services - Brittany Ferries - Millbay - Plymouth - PL1 3EW

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
So a Fexible ticket now only has the ability to be amended up to 12 months from the original outward leg booking, not the actual outward leg you travel on.

I'll take this further as it's not clear, they never stated that there has been any relation and certainly never informed me of the 'directors decision'

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I booked to go in April 2023, flexi ticket, outside pet cabin, Plymouth to Santander.
Phoned in march and moved to Portsmouth and one of their french ports.
Phone in October and moved to 14th April this year Plymouth to Santander.
Phoned 7th February two weeks ago and moved to Portsmouth to Roscoff in September, with the intention of moving it again to next year in April when next years sailings come out, but we will see.

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
I booked to go in April 2023, flexi ticket, outside pet cabin, Plymouth to Santander.
Phoned in march and moved to Portsmouth and one of their french ports.
Phone in October and moved to 14th April this year Plymouth to Santander.
Phoned 7th February two weeks ago and moved to Portsmouth to Roscoff in September, with the intention of moving it again to next year in April when next years sailings come out, but we will see.
I would call them ASAP to check, tell them you've been told about it on a forum asking if they can state where you agreed to it

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
I have a return BF Santander flexi ticket booked mid March/mid May and I have no personal knowledge of the exact procedures, protocols or things to be mindful of should I need to amend or even cancel the crossings. I know it all can be done, and believe BF are very helpful.

I have just discovered I need a part for my Fiat Ducato, which is on back order, with no idea when it may come, a fuel pump fault ☹️.

I’ve read the rules and it all looks too simple to be true but if I amend, which would be the favoured option, but given an impending operation later in the year I may not be able to travel this year and there are no timetables out for when I may go and I cannot see any online advice for that.

It doesn’t say I can just bank the money paid so I suspect I may have to book a future sailing regardless if I intend taking it or not?

The cancellation 25% deduction refund 75% rule is simple and there seems to be no hitches to that?

It was booked with a BF discount code kindly given by a Funster and I can’t see anything about that in the amendments.

If I cannot travel would someone who has personal experience of having to do this, and have the time to reply, please give me any advice on best way to go about doing it and any pitfalls to avoid which may not be evident from their website.

🤞🏻 it won’t come to this but I’d like to know in advance. We would be so gutted if we could not take the break away, especially before the knee operation that is coming which will restrict travel for a while.

regards in advance, Roy
Pretty much as simple as it looks. I had a return from St Malo to Portsmouth unused because we had to get out of France when the govt decided anyone out there would have to quarantine for a fortnight when they got back (long Covid related story). Just left the booking with them (over a year) and then tried to add it on to an outbound journey. The nice (French) man at BF said that could be tricky so why not cancel, get a refund and then book again from scratch - all of which we did there and then on the phone. Simples - flexi is what it says it is.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I would call them ASAP to check, tell them you've been told about it on a forum asking if they can state where you agreed to it
They emailed confirmation of this years new dates in September so that's booked, so no reason to phone.
Due to work that's likely to be going on in the bungalow (Dormer conversion) its likely we won't be going, so if that's the case and they won't allow us to change it, so be it.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Just amended our booking. The very helpful lady confirmed for me that the full outward AND return crossing had to be within the 12 months of the original outward sailing. So in my case I had to come back before 14/3/24.

As an aside I couldn’t do it online so had to phone. My repeated landline calls rang and were then terminated. My mobile calls worked as they should but the call back times were hours out, but I did get the call back so that worked. 😊

Thanks to all that have assisted me.

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Pretty much as simple as it looks. I had a return from St Malo to Portsmouth unused because we had to get out of France when the govt decided anyone out there would have to quarantine for a fortnight when they got back (long Covid related story). Just left the booking with them (over a year) and then tried to add it on to an outbound journey. The nice (French) man at BF said that could be tricky so why not cancel, get a refund and then book again from scratch - all of which we did there and then on the phone. Simples - flexi is what it says it is.
So you had already travelled on the outbound leg?

If so totally different?

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Not online with a Flex ticket, apart from any increase.
You can make amendments up to 4 hours before departure for free. But that is on the outbound journey.
If you book a return ticket even though it’s flexible you get charged for changing once you begin the outbound journey. If you get what I mean.
Better to book 2 separate tickets out and back means you have flexibility on the return ticket as well

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
So you had already travelled on the outbound leg?

If so totally different?
Yup - overnight to St Malo and down to Angers for the night en route to Il de Re in convoy with daughter and her family. Rude awakening next day - 12 hours to get back to UK if still in France so we opted to dash across country to Italy and eventually came back via the tunnel having drifted through Italy, Switzerland and Germany. Just left the return fare with Brittany Ferries sitting there until needed. Covid may or may not have affected BF's approach.

Jan 6, 2018
Funster No

regards in advance, Roy
I nearly always end up moving my booking forward for some reason. Never had a problem apart from not being able to get a disabled cabin.,the code shouldn’t be a problem you can use mine if it is. Good luck.

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Update from my side:

I sent the Letter Before Action which they received on the 11th March.

I recieved the follwing email on the 20th March.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr XXXX

We are in receipt of your further email.

Whilst we cannot agree that our Terms and Conditions with regard to our tickets only being valid for 12 months from the date of the original outward departure date are unclear, in an attempt to resolve this issue amicably I am prepared to refund your non-refundable deposit on this occasion.

This is a one off gesture of goodwill and should you decide to book with us again, we would enforce the 12 month validity of the ticket as per our Terms and Conditions.

Please confirm that you wish us to cancel your booking and we will arrange a refund.

I will wait to hear from you in due course.

Yours sincerely

-----------------------------------------------------------

So a win for me but a warning to all in future that they insist the T&C's are clear that a Flexible Ticket is only valid for one year from the original date of the outbound journey.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back