Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
Thinking of ripping all my CDs to a storage device to save space. Is anyone using a Brennan B2 if so I would be interested in pros and cons, or recommendations for a similar device. I know I could do it on my laptop but the Brennan looks the dogs wotsits for ripping easily.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Interested to follow this. They look really smart, but surprised no one else makes something similar. I always buy CD’s then rip to a Mac. My thinking is that I’ve got a high quality version saved on the CD and I actually own a something physical.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thinking of ripping all my CDs to a storage device to save space. Is anyone using a Brennan B2 if so I would be interested in pros and cons, or recommendations for a similar device. I know I could do it on my laptop but the Brennan looks the dogs wotsits for ripping easily.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but are you looking to rip your cd collection to play in your motorhome through the media system if so why not just rip them to an external hard disc \ usb stick \ mobile phone (sd card) and connect that to the media player?

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but are you looking to rip your cd collection to play in your motorhome through the media system if so why not just rip them to an external hard disc \ usb stick \ mobile phone (sd card) and connect that to the media player?
That's what I normally do but the Brennan looks so much easier and with the app you can control it via a smart phone. It's bleedin dear even for a rich southerner😆

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
That's what I normally do but the Brennan looks so much easier and with the app you can control it via a smart phone. It's bleedin dear even for a rich southerner😆
Yeh I wouldn't be paying £500ish to rip cd's for playing back in the motorhome!:eek: Particularly if it's an AT!:giggler:

We've got 500(?) cd's ripped to an sd card in a mobile and connect to the media unit via A2DP. Album selection, playback, volume, etc, etc all controlled by mobile (or media unit). Even got it set-up to show the album cover, track playing, etc on the mobile and the media centre.(y)

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Family bought me a Brennan JB some years back, holds my entire CD collection, 4,000 plus and all seachable with ease, only the sise of a good hardback book .
We take it away in the MH and paly through the MH radio,
Brilliant piece of kit, and i believe the latest ones are even better, but I am banned from the Brennan website, :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Go for it
BTW, you don't even need an amp, jjust hook their speakers up to the unit, excellent sound quality
Joe

Jul 19, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Carado Vlow 600
Exp
Since 2008 so I'm a Newbie
I got the BB1 and a cheap cd drive from Amazon (as recommended on the Brendan site) and found it a good way to rip CDs. Works really well as a bathroom radio and I have all my music ripped to lossless. I expanded the storage by swapping out the supplied memory card.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist since the advent of modern mobile phones & high capacity sd cards.

It's why the iPod died, except for a small niche of enthusiasts.

Certainly ripping cds to digital storage is a good idea.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
The biggest benefit IMHO is loss less quality for playing at home through good speakers. And then being able to put all my CDs in the loft!
For the van I’m not sure you’d hear the difference with MP3. But it is portable and small so hardly a hindrance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
Can't see why anyone would bother ripping cd"s, Spotify is the perfect answer, all my music collection and almost anything else I want to listen to for a tenner a month all on my mobile so easy to take anywhere in the world.

OP
OP
Diabalo
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
Looks like I will sitting down at me puter to do all of them and save me pennies.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The biggest benefit IMHO is loss less quality for playing at home through good speakers. And then being able to put all my CDs in the loft!
For the van I’m not sure you’d hear the difference with MP3. But it is portable and small so hardly a hindrance.
CDs ripped to mobile is probably as portable as you can get given you'll probably be carrying that anyway.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
...is the reason. For music you have already paid for...
True, for the music I had in my collection but have since downloaded 1000's of Tracks and 100's of Albums which I never previously owned.
Spotify has broadened my music tastes and introduced me to so many different artists, their playlists are brilliant.
Not being a TV watcher, I will light the Log Burner, pour a glass of Red and listen to Spotify introduce me to music and artists all from the comfort of my Settee.
As said for £10 per month it's a no brainer.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
True, for the music I had in my collection but have since downloaded 1000's of Tracks and 100's of Albums which I never previously owned.
Spotify has broadened my music tastes and introduced me to so many different artists, their playlists are brilliant.
Not being a TV watcher, I will light the Log Burner, pour a glass of Red and listen to Spotify introduce me to music and artists all from the comfort of my Settee.
As said for £10 per month it's a no brainer.
...or you could listen to Internet Radio for nowt

Oct 28, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Van
Exp
18 years
Can't see why anyone would bother ripping cd"s, Spotify is the perfect answer, all my music collection and almost anything else I want to listen to for a tenner a month all on my mobile so easy to take anywhere in the world.
This. Looked at the Brennan a few years ago with the idea of doing what the o/p is thinking of. Ended up buying the NovaFidelity X12 and proceeded to rip my cd collection whenever I had a spare hour or so until the novelty wore off because it does take time. Long story short - the cd collection is in the attic, the streamer sits unused under the telly (although it worked faultlessly streaming via Sonos) and subscribing to Spotify (after taking up their free three-month trial) was a revelation - having access to the vast majority of my old favourites and enabling me to explore a lot of new material for a tenner a month. Each to their own though. Just my experience. Good luck.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
The problem I see with Spotify is that you will have to pay that subscription indefinitely, never owning any more music. Appreciate it broadens your music experience though, but so does some radio and YouTube channels.

Oct 28, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Van
Exp
18 years
The problem I see with Spotify is that you will have to pay that subscription indefinitely, never owning any more music. Appreciate it broadens your music experience though, but so does some radio and YouTube channels.
Correct of course but do you really need to ‘own’ the music or just ‘sample’ it from time to time? It’s been years since I bought a cd and I used to buy quite a few! How many times did or do I ‘revisit’ cds in my collection? An inverse proportion to the size of the collection I fear but as I said - each to their own. Whatever suits your needs to enjoy what and when you want!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Hey not every system will suit everyone, for me paying the £10 per month is less than I would payout for CD's through a year, not owning the music in solid form as a CD doesn't bother me as now I don't have 1000's of CD's to store, I don't have to sift through and load up a CD to only listen to a couple of tracks.
Without getting out of my seat I have all my music available at the press of a button wherever I am.
As for paying the subscription indefinitely well yes but that is how the world is moving, we've currently pay £159 a year for a TV licence, then on top people pay for Netflix and other pay for view channel, that makes the Spotify cost look a good deal.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Yes you could listen to any radio station but then you are listening to someone else's choice of music and not your own.
True, but then Spotify use Algorithms to select music for you too. So that’s not your choice either. Interesting debate as the world is moving to subscriptions on so many things. I guess I just like to own my music.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
True, but then Spotify use Algorithms to select music for you too. So that’s not your choice either. Interesting debate as the world is moving to subscriptions on so many things. I guess I just like to own my music.
Good point about Spotify and their use of Algorithms, only the other night we were chatting about the choice of music Spotify was now playing after one of our own Playlists had finished.
The particular Playlist consists of tracks by Beth Hart, Joe Bonamassa, Leon Russell, Tedeschi Trucks etc etc. the tracks it chose to play were a spot on match for the music in our Playlist we were well impressed.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I've got one and it is a great piece of kit.......... But Brennan is a bit of Raspberry Pi nerd (like me) and his software is a work in progress rather than the polished professional finished article. But I'm an ex-CEO of a multinational software company and probably a difficult customer to please in that regard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back