Breakdown cover for 3.9 campervan (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
vw crafter
Exp
Newbue
I’ve read the AA terms and they simply won’t cover a campervan above 3500kg despite taking the money and having the reg. number, stories on Facebook confirm their refusal to attend. Does anyone cover this type of van or are we relying on a local garage? In France and the UK? Any up to date experience appreciated 🤔😊

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I’ve read the AA terms and they simply won’t cover a campervan above 3500kg despite taking the money and having the reg. number, stories on Facebook confirm their refusal to attend. Does anyone cover this type of van or are we relying on a local garage? In France and the UK? Any up to date experience appreciated 🤔😊
Apparently if you insure through nationwide who use AA they will attend. :doh:

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Check out the Nationwide FlexPlus account ... £13 per month includes travel insurance, mobile phone damage and from personel experience I can confirm breakdown cover which deffinitely includes motorhomes over 3500Kg.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Postypat
Jan 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
vw crafter
Exp
Newbue
That’s the cover I read, your v5 must say ‘Motorhome’ nothing else does?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
If you open a Nationwide Flex current account you will get cover for motorhomes up to 7500kg. It's personal cover so you are covered in any vehicles you drive. (so if you have cover on your car(s) you can save there) It's also UK and Europe (although not AA in Europe obviously). Home start, onward travel etc. top cover. Incidentally you also get worldwide travel insurance and mobile phone insurance.

At £13 per month (£156 a year) it's cheaper than going directly to the AA for similar cover. You don't have to give details of your motorhome so there won't be any problem getting the cover.

details here....

Upvote 0

FEC

Apr 23, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
6 months into the adventure
RAC cover me for up to 4,000Kg.
Interesting. -I have 'personal' (rather than vehicle) cover, with the RAC but T&C in the small print says it's only up to 3.5tn and 6 metre length. Mine is up-plated to 3.75tn and is 7.5m. So did you take out a bespoke policy for the MH linked to 4,000kg weight or is it standard cover?

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Interesting. -I have 'personal' (rather than vehicle) cover, with the RAC but T&C in the small print says it's only up to 3.5tn and 6 metre length. Mine is up-plated to 3.75tn and is 7.5m. So did you take out a bespoke policy for the MH linked to 4,000kg weight or is it standard cover?
My cover is vehicle specific with only my motorhome showing on the policy. I phoned them and told them I have an 8m motorhome at 3,850kg and they said that's absolutely fine. 8m was their maximum and 4,000kg.

Reactions: FEC
Upvote 0

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Nationwide cover it personal or for a vehicle you own driven by a person you have authorised to drive that vehicle

So the wife is covered as I let her drive the van 🤣

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
S and L Apollo
Exp
Since 2018
I use caravan and motorhome club breakdown It's with Green Flag and weight not a bother. Cover for any vehicle I or my wife drives too. About £112 a year. Used them once, turned up very quickly. Impressed.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
We are 5700kg, 8.9m tag axle, insured via Comfort and they use the AA.

We had to call Comfort breakdown assistance and not the AA directly when we required assistance in France and the UK. Both times they sent a local garage🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0

FEC

Apr 23, 2023
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
6 months into the adventure
Just to follow up on this thread -I have found that my old RAC policy didn't cover me for the MH as it exceeds 6m and 3.5t so I have shifted products to their Arrival policy as mentioned above that covers my car and MH with unlimited weight and length restrictions. It also covers me for taking the MH over to the Irish Republic and the rest of the EU etc. Glad I sorted this before it was needed. Thanks for the comments and advice on this topic.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2022
Thaxted, Dunmow, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
Breakdown recovery only....
RAC have a revised policy called Arrivals, aimed at motorhome owners... a UK cover with EU cover added. 49 countries, any size vehicle and weight is covered. Max of 90 days per trip, any number of trips per year. £329 was the online quote and confirmed when I spoke with them. Included was 1 year membership of CCC or around £40 discount if already a member. Nationwide would not extend beyond 31 days and the AA (partner for nationwide flex+) would not extend without a new policy being taken out, quote price similar to above RAC one. . CAMC were an amazing £820 for same cover. They blamed their underwriters allowing no movement.... wow...

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Breakdown recovery only....
RAC have a revised policy called Arrivals, aimed at motorhome owners... a UK cover with EU cover added. 49 countries, any size vehicle and weight is covered. Max of 90 days per trip, any number of trips per year. £329 was the online quote and confirmed when I spoke with them. Included was 1 year membership of CCC or around £40 discount if already a member. Nationwide would not extend beyond 31 days and the AA (partner for nationwide flex+) would not extend without a new policy being taken out, quote price similar to above RAC one. . CAMC were an amazing £820 for same cover. They blamed their underwriters allowing no movement.... wow...
You got free CCC membership because you have to be a member of CCC to qualify for RAC Arrivals cover..

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2022
Thaxted, Dunmow, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
You got free CCC membership because you have to be a member of CCC to qualify for RAC Arrivals cover..
Yes, i dontvthink its free exactly as a ccc member gets same policy Cheaper but happy to try ccc as very annoyed with CAMC. Just cancelled my S/order renewal having been with them since 2009.... they are still losing the plot. ..

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Yes, i dontvthink its free exactly as a ccc member gets same policy Cheaper but happy to try ccc as very annoyed with CAMC. Just cancelled my S/order renewal having been with them since 2009.... they are still losing the plot. ..
Happy to be corrected but I was under the impression you HAD to be a CCC member to get RAC Arrival.
Nothing to do with CCC members getting it cheaper.. non members don't get it..
Similar to CAMC Mayday cover through Greenflag..

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2022
Thaxted, Dunmow, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
Happy to be corrected but I was under the impression you HAD to be a CCC member to get RAC Arrival.
Greenflag would not cover >7m.... I am 7 4...!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back