BP Ultimate v Supermarket diesel (1 Viewer)

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
We have started using BP ultimate and cant believe how much better the van is running. As we only live 2 min from Grangemouth refinery we see all the tankers filling up from the same pumps and I do realise the only real difference is the additives that company's put it. I am just amazed at the difference in the performance.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I filled up with the stuff once by mistake. I got a bollocking from my fleet manager but it was worth 3mpg more for my Nissan Primastar work van!
I thought 41 mpg from a fully loaded 3 tonne van was quite good!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have used it on one full tank on the motorhome and " thought / felt" it ran better but on one tank i did think i could have just seen a "psychological " improvement in performance :rolleyes:

with the price down might be worth another shout

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Can anyone tell me the real difference between BP or any other major brands and supermarket fuel if there is genuinely any.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I was going to say that no joking. However it is probably much dearer than the £1:10 I currently pay and proportionately no better off in terms of mpg.
In terms of protecting and making your engine more efficient bye bye EGR

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
Honest John who has a Motoring column in the Telegraph swears by the Shell VPower fuel, he states that the mpg is improved and the additives clean the carbon off the engine.
I try and fill up every 3rd tankful in my car with Shell, then supermarket fuel in between.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
With the Tesco money off I think you are better off even if you get better mpg with ultimate Deisel

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Honest John who has a Motoring column in the Telegraph swears by the Shell VPower fuel, he states that the mpg is improved and the additives clean the carbon off the engine.
I try and fill up every 3rd tankful in my car with Shell, then supermarket fuel in between.
This is what I was told to do by mechanical engineer, apparently the additives make quite a difference to engine wear.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Not BP Ultimate I know, but the only time I really noticed a difference between the cheaper fuel supermarket fuels from the likes of Auchan and Champion, and that from a leading brand, was when we were in France during a cold frosty March.
Every morning from cold, the engine (Fiat/Iveco 2.8TDi) would run a bit rough, lumpy, and a bit smokey when started, and the pull off was sluggish. :( I initially thought a duff glow plug, or a lazy injector was possibly the reason. :eek:
The next couple of days (same cold temperatures), after filling with Total Diesel (but not their premium version) the engine started and ran smoothly as it should from cold, there was significantly less smoke from the exhaust, and the pull off was much smoother. :) I knew straight away, that it had to be a fuel related issue.
At cruising speeds, I didn't notice a difference at all. :unsure:

Here in the UK, I've not noticed any differences in the starting or running of the MH engine, when using ASDA, TESCO, or ESSO fuel.
The reason I mention ESSO, is because although it may be 1p a litre more than it's nearest rival TESCO, it is much closer, and I still get my Clubcard points. (y) They also sell Autogas, so I'm never stuck for a supply. :)

Unfortunately, our nearest ASDA filling station, is a good 25 miles away. :(

Cheers,

Jock.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Have always thought that BP SHELL provide a 'better' fuel although at a dearer price. Supermarkets attract due to cost only.

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Worth a watch about petrol but still worth it. I will be sticking to cheap as chips fuel.

I think this is a definitive test regarding performance. It is a shame they could not extend the test to cover MPG. Of course long term testing for engine wear would be virtually impossible, but seams to be the conssenus of the stated advantage of these super fuels. Keith :cool:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Strange isn't it when I said a few weeks ago that sainsburys city diesel was basically inferior to branded fuel .I was nearly drummed out of motorhome fun for even mentioning it,so very pleased for the latest backing to my personal findings.:Eeek::clap2:
its sainbury's diesel that my motorhome does not like,haven't tried other supermarket diesel.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I owned a 1974 VW campervan until last summer.
I had spent £1000's on it over the years and had overhauled the engine amongst other things.
With the petrol tank situated above and in front of the air cooled engine, engine fires are common, due to a breakdown in the quality of the fuel lines.
The fuel lines were originally rubber.
Up until recently, any decent VW air cooled owner would check and replace their fuel lines once every few years.
However, over the past 18 months, there's been a spate of rapid deterioration of fuel lines, pumps and carbs.
When tests have been carried out, this has resulted from the E5 & E10 Ethanol additives being added to the cheaper supermarket fuels.

I started fuelling up at my local supermarket as the fuel price was a lot cheaper than my nearby Shell and BP garages.
The garage I used to take my VW to asked me what petrol I used and when I told him, he showed me some examples of damaged parts they'd had to replace on other peoples vehicles due to using supermarket fuel. They told me to start using the premier brands and if at all possible, to use Shell's V power, or BP's Ultimate as these wouldn't damage my fuel lines or certain metal parts in the carb.
Since then, I've been wary of supermarket fuel and the cheaper brands. Up until then, I thought that the premium brands were just a gimmick.
There was a study in Hayburner VW magazine which covers this subject.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
In the long gone days when I rode my BMW K100, I found very consistently that I could get 200 miles from a fill of supermarket petrol and 220 miles from branded fuels - and the bike ran better. Not definitive I know, but it was my experience in owning it over 14 years!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We have started using BP ultimate and cant believe how much better the van is running. As we only live 2 min from Grangemouth refinery we see all the tankers filling up from the same pumps and I do realise the only real difference is the additives that company's put it. I am just amazed at the difference in the performance.
It is the Hawthorne effect you would get similar results even if you filled up with chip fat.(y)

lesr48

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
Since 2014
I owned a 1974 VW campervan until last summer.
I had spent £1000's on it over the years and had overhauled the engine amongst other things.
With the petrol tank situated above and in front of the air cooled engine, engine fires are common, due to a breakdown in the quality of the fuel lines.
The fuel lines were originally rubber.
Up until recently, any decent VW air cooled owner would check and replace their fuel lines once every few years.
However, over the past 18 months, there's been a spate of rapid deterioration of fuel lines, pumps and carbs.
When tests have been carried out, this has resulted from the E5 & E10 Ethanol additives being added to the cheaper supermarket fuels.

I started fuelling up at my local supermarket as the fuel price was a lot cheaper than my nearby Shell and BP garages.
The garage I used to take my VW to asked me what petrol I used and when I told him, he showed me some examples of damaged parts they'd had to replace on other peoples vehicles due to using supermarket fuel. They told me to start using the premier brands and if at all possible, to use Shell's V power, or BP's Ultimate as these wouldn't damage my fuel lines or certain metal parts in the carb.
Since then, I've been wary of supermarket fuel and the cheaper brands. Up until then, I thought that the premium brands were just a gimmick.
There was a study in Hayburner VW magazine which covers this subject.
This could well have been related to the Bioethanol added to the fuel

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
When I used to run on veg, I would add 2-ehn, which improved the performance.
I dont run veg anymore, and only use Bp fuel as I have a fuel card.
I still add the 2-ehn every 2 or 3 fill ups, as it does seem to increase mpg.
You can buy it, and just add it to any fuel you buy.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Watched the 5th gear video. Did we really used to pay £1.40 for a litre of petrol, my how times have changed

Adrian

Tombo

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
What are the experts opinion of 2 stroke oil as an additive.
It has probably been discussed before but I do take in opinions more in the know than myself.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Modern diesels are designed to run on EN590 spec fuel, with which which every supplier must comply. There is no significant difference between bog standard supermarket fuel and branded fuel - it frequently comes out of the same tankage at the storage depot (try watching what comes out of vopak in Thurrock........) and the only difference may be some additives in the parts per million level. The way the spec is written, it is pretty hard to change the basic brew without losing your shirt financially by giving away on quality. The addition of two stroke oil should not be necessary since there is adequate lubricity provided by the up to 7% biodiesel in the spec. Having said that, like a lot of things - if it feels better to the driver, then it is better.

The super fuels such as V power are brewed to give better ignition and literally more "bang" and appear to work well with tuned engines. VPower itself is a synthetic GTL (gas to liquid) fuel.

Knowing the chemistry behind it all, logic dictates using the cheapest but we tend to put VPower in at regular intervals since there is a lot of evidence that it keeps the system clean.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A factor worth considering is what are the implications for diesel heaters? We have had a few problems with ours and is a diet of Tesco diesel to blame? The symptoms are "error code 03, combustion interrupted" restarting the heater sorts it for a while. Given a set of gaskets for a dual top is £30 and the servicing kit £160 I am reluctant to start taking things apart just at the moment.

Tesco's home brew is 12p off a litre at the moment for me so it is attractive!

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
I track my mpg in my vehicle (not the motor home so much) each time i fill up, and as this is a couple of times a week i have a lot of miles to compare.
As yet ive found no difference between tesco, esso, sainsburys and texaco for fuel economy. This is just using the basic diesel at the pump.
I'm gonna try the premium stuff for a while and see what that brings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back