Boxer/Relay/Ducato Mk I 2.0i Petrol Engine - Thinking of buying what are they like ? (1 Viewer)

Dionysius

Free Member
Jul 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Looking...
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All,

I'm considering buying a hightop Van Conversion eg Autosleeper Symphony/harmony most of which are based on the Boxer/Relay/Ducato Sevel van.

Considering the 2.0i petrol engine option for 2 reasons:-

(A) As I live within M25, and am conscious of the emissions regulations being raised periodically up I dont want to be stuck with a vehicle I can't drive and keep at home without being charged at some point in the future

(B) Everyone I know who owns a diesel vehicle seems to have expensive Diesel specific repairs with regularity eg Dual Mass FLywheels, injectors. EGR valves, Turbos, Fuel pumps Particle Filters etc which always seem to cost several thousand.

I realise the fuel economy wont be brilliant but I'm not going to be driving it everyday.

Can anyone comment on this engine in terms of its performance with a conversion in the van (I'm assuming it wont have the torque of the diesel) reliability (do they suffer the same gearbox issues as the diesel ?) , spares availability and general what are they like to live with.

Cheers

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Hi I’ve got a 1999 Peugeot with that engine, had no problems after servicing oil and filter fuel filter check belts etc. Does about 65mph and 25 to 35 to the gallon , same engine as the pug 406 and citroen xantia of the same age. I keep thinking about swapping the ecu for the car one to perk it up from 80 bhp to 100 bhp ! Gearbox was repaired by the previous owner at 35000 now it’s on 49000 check oil level in the box and put about 250ml extra in because top gear is right at the top of the box and tends to go first,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2022
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Pioneer 2ltr
Hi All,

I'm considering buying a hightop Van Conversion eg Autosleeper Symphony/harmony most of which are based on the Boxer/Relay/Ducato Sevel van.

Considering the 2.0i petrol engine option for 2 reasons:-

(A) As I live within M25, and am conscious of the emissions regulations being raised periodically up I dont want to be stuck with a vehicle I can't drive and keep at home without being charged at some point in the future

(B) Everyone I know who owns a diesel vehicle seems to have expensive Diesel specific repairs with regularity eg Dual Mass FLywheels, injectors. EGR valves, Turbos, Fuel pumps Particle Filters etc which always seem to cost several thousand.

I realise the fuel economy wont be brilliant but I'm not going to be driving it everyday.

Can anyone comment on this engine in terms of its performance with a conversion in the van (I'm assuming it wont have the torque of the diesel) reliability (do they suffer the same gearbox issues as the diesel ?) , spares availability and general what are they like to live with.

Cheers
I have a 2 ltr petrol Motorhome never had an issue with it although MPG not the best and top end speed not great but again I done use it much, only fault with the Peugeot pioneer is the windscreen scuttle pipe is too short and drips onto the gearbox so gearbox can have water in it, got mine extended & flushed gearbox twice now no issue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back