MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
i think its going to be a strange atmosphere if travel/touring is allowed. we have booked ready to go but have changed the dates several times already, the benefits of having a frequent traveller account (or whatever they call it now !!) i am hoping that the records will show we have tried to book but have had to cancel, so it adds weight to our argument for an extension,

we still have site fees to pay for our static on the Vendee aswell, it will be interesting to see if local maries reduce the taxes paid by the site owner and that is passed on. i doubt the site owner will reduce their fees and a large part of me fully understands why. after all, we have a contract with him.

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
Cancelled our trip to France for mid June,lost our £88-00 Brittany ferry deposit with C& MC,wer'e booked for Brighton site August bank hols,Cant see us going anywhere before then.It will be the first time we haven't done France since 2004.

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ferry booked, Austrian site booked, for June but can't see that happening. Will stay home and use wild sites we know in west country

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I m taking a relatively glass half full view of this, and my opinion has changed in the last couple of days.

IF we continue on what appears to be a lessening of infections, IF Germany, Austria, Denmark opens its borders earlier than Macron, then I am more wondering about the pressure on Macron to allow tourists, under conditions when the nation sees the next door neighbours open for business and en route to economic recovery.

I have tunnel booked for early/mid June and anticipate we are likely to cancel HOWEVER, I have not lost all hope (at this time) of being able to travel somewhere in Europe IF we can get over there.

A few IFs, but it is 6/7 weeks away, and 6/7 weeks ago this whole scenario was only just unravelling. A whole season of next to no income for the tourist industry in France will be devastating. The only figure i can find quickly is 208 Billion euros in 2018 for the WHOLE of tourist income.

Another interesting set of figures that may cause the french to "ask" Macron to reconsider (if things seem under control) are here https://www.condorferries.co.uk/france-tourism-statistics

I hold much more hope for my September holiday than my June one though, just havent given up.......yet

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Macron may feel that tourism from French and other EU/Schengen residents will be sufficient to begin with, without allowing Brits and others in, even if marginally more Brits do visit France normally than any other nationality. That would still leave about 65% of the usual foreign tourists allowed in.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If you watched Hard Talk last night I wouldn’t be in too much of a hurry to go anywhere!

“The coronavirus is not going to go away so we must learn to live with it,“ the World Health Organisation's special envoy for Covid-19, David Nabarro has said.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Never booked anything apart from tunnel for years then went and booked a special deal on a camp in Devon for march, they cancelled and sent our money back without asking for it.
Won't be booking anything now till we can get back on the tunnel.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
"Macron may feel that tourism from French and other EU/Schengen residents will be sufficient to begin with"

I think all of the 'Schengen borders' will remain closed to tourist traffic' for some time to come with only internal travel allowed. Spain's [current] government has, apparently, already ruled - out this years' summer tourist season.

Robert

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We should have been touring the N500 now. We had a couple of C&MC sites booked to get us around Easter and the C&CC site at Inverewe so cancelled them and booked for September. C&CC aren't opening Inverewe now this year so we're getting refund.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Macron may feel that tourism from French and other EU/Schengen residents will be sufficient to begin with, without allowing Brits and others in, even if marginally more Brits do visit France normally than any other nationality. That would still leave about 65% of the usual foreign tourists allowed in.
would he be duty bound to let in fellow eu full member states.
a bit picky if we aren't allowed in but the polish were for example

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you watched Hard Talk last night I wouldn’t be in too much of a hurry to go anywhere!

“The coronavirus is not going to go away so we must learn to live with it,“ the World Health Organisation's special envoy for Covid-19, David Nabarro has said.
precisely why borders will open up in my view.
we learn to live with it not hide from it

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
would he be duty bound to let in fellow eu full member states.
a bit picky if we aren't allowed in but the polish were for example
He would be justified in doing that as Poland is in Schengen. From the way politicians are talking here, one gets the impression that they will open up the internal borders between Schengen states before too long, but Schengen may be closed to the rest of the world for some months yet.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
He would be justified in doing that as Poland is in Schengen. From the way politicians are talking here, one gets the impression that they will open up the internal borders between Schengen states before too long, but Schengen may be closed to the rest of the world for some months yet.
So potentially stopping an EU partner, us, (atm) and allowing an associate in because they are in Schengen.

It ll be interesting whatever he/they decide.

I have a thought that others will allow us in such as sweden norway denmark germany austria but its how we might be able to get there in motorhomes and France, Spain Italy might be a little stricter

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Wearing my positivity knickers I’ve booked 3 CMC sites from the beginning of July. Expensive, yes, but still cheaper than the cost of our now cancelled French trip, and with no deposit to pay its a ‘no brainier’. Need something to look forward to!!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If they are things like sites where you are either paying no deposit or its a fairly small amount and likely to be refunded why not book it if you want to travel while it's still going on. But for anything where you would normally take holiday insurances it seems daft to book anything at the moment.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I’m being optimistic and hoping we will be allowed to start moving in the U.K. by end of May. :cool:

The only thing we will book will be a ferry near to the time we plan on setting off south.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We were going to tour North Wales and possibly Scotland. Should have been away now. Don't book anything, play it all by ear. Van in storage with no plans at the mo. Sob sob.

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
Has anyone looked into travel health insurance for EU travel. I would like to know if covid-19 is covered on policies. I have a EHIC but that doesn’t cover everything.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Trying to keep all bases covered, have ferry to Spain booked for September, but as a back up plan have CAMC sites in UK also booked in case we have to stay in UK. All have the ability to be moved if required. Got a cruise booked for June but just waiting for Fred Olsen to cancel/ move to next week.
Bill

Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962
This was going to be our year for travel having given up our various volunteer duties, now waiting refund from CCC for two tours in France . Still the garden looks good and the Dandylions don't know what's hit them but we will wait and see what happens patience is a virtue and now we are 80+ we have plenty of it.

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
I already have my Isle of Man TT 2 week trip booked for May 2021

And I'm just waiting for confirmation of my 2021 ferry bookings

Obviously they have been transferred from this years booking, but if they hadn't been, I would have been booking them on the 21st May anyway - to get the preferred sailing, bookings are done 53 weeks in advance
My son well pis... off as he can't race this year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back