LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Two 12v plugs blew simultaneously today in the multi adaptor that I have; one was the GPS power, the other, a 12v inverter for small devices but today, was just charging a mobile phone on the USB socket part. The inverter also started smoking. They blew with a loud bang.

The fuse for the multiunit didn't blow and not other issues were seen.

Any suggestions what would cause both to go?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
cheap plug in type inverters only have a limited lifespan and its not uncommon for them to overheat then fail. leaving it plugged in when not in use also shortens the life and they continue to consume quite a current even with no load attached

think yourself lucky nothing sensitive was plugged in as inverters have been known to burn out attached devices when they melt down

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Small inverters are generally poor quality as are 12V multi-adaptors. The fuse however should have blown in the cigarette lighter supply plug of the multi-adaptor unless of course you have a really rubbish one that does not have the fuse!

The 12V cigaretter lighter plug/socket arrangement is both electrically and mechanically a pile of crxp so failures often occur. You're maybe lucky the 'burn-up' didn't acrually result in combustion when you're away from the van. Inverters, even small ones are capable of high current loads and should be connected directly to the battery protected by a dedicted fuse.

Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks. The inverter had been powered up for approx 1 hr supplying USB power to a Nexus tablet.

I am a little confused as to why two power supply units blew at the same time; the GPS supply unit had been used for hours over many years and the inverter, although several years old, had hardly been used.

I'll check to see if the multi adaptor unit has a fuse - I suspect it does.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back