Bit of a long winded story, bear with me.... (1 Viewer)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Several tyre fitters I have used (professional multi-outlet firms I might add) have all said the best, i.e. new, tyres should be put on the back. The reasoning is that should a tyre fail on the move the vehicle (not specifically a M/H) would be more controllable if it was a front tyre blowing. I've only ever had one "blowout", of a front tyre in the fast lane at 70mph, which I was able to control safely to a stop (although the tyre was of course unusable after).

Over a number of years with the van I've found the fronts wear much faster than the rear so when they need replacing I ask for the rears to be swapped onto the front. This has the added benefit of only needing to replace two at a time.

I use Continental Vanco2 Winter tyres all year round with no problems. Technically these are van rather than camper tyres but as our M/H rarely sits for very long I don't worry too much about degradation - they wear out first!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Several tyre fitters I have used (professional multi-outlet firms I might add) have all said the best, i.e. new, tyres should be put on the back. The reasoning is that should a tyre fail on the move the vehicle (not specifically a M/H) would be more controllable if it was a front tyre blowing. I've only ever had one "blowout", of a front tyre in the fast lane at 70mph, which I was able to control safely to a stop (although the tyre was of course unusable after).

Over a number of years with the van I've found the fronts wear much faster than the rear so when they need replacing I ask for the rears to be swapped onto the front. This has the added benefit of only needing to replace two at a time.

I use Continental Vanco2 Winter tyres all year round with no problems. Technically these are van rather than camper tyres but as our M/H rarely sits for very long I don't worry too much about degradation - they wear out first!
I'm sorry but, after being in the Transport Game for 50+ yrs, "vehicle would be more controllable if it was a front tyre blowing"
I MUST disagree with such a sweeping statement and the tyre fitters should stick to fitting tyres!

You were VERY lucky (or well trained/experienced) to have survived a front blow-out at 70mph, because, one's first instinct is to brake hard and as this causes the vehicle momentum to shift forward, adding more weight to the front, this CAN cause the flat tyre rim to dig into the tarmac and, possibly, drag/flip your vehicle into other road users or the crash barrier.

What one should do, as a motorway policeman told me after I, and my coachload of passengers, had survived a front blow-out on the M11 going to Stanstead Airport, is take you foot off the throttle because (with most tyres) centrifugal force will keep the tyre against the rim initially and as you slow to a more reasonable speed (without braking) put on your hazards and try to get onto the hard shoulder.
He congratulated me as, by experience, this is exactly what I did (but it was bl--dy hard to keep my foot off the brake initially!)

ALWAYS put the best tyres on the front especially IF that is also your drive wheels AND a little trick that was shown to me while taking coach parties on ski trips to the Alps is, in EXTREME snow/ice conditions, put your snow chains on BOTH of the wheels AWAY from the kerb.
There is often enough dirt, stones etc, in the kerb gutter to give you traction and the front wheel chain will give you better steerage.
(This was on rear wheel drive coaches but should work the same on R/W/D campers)

Sorry to have to disagree but.......

I

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Different opinion, on all of our vans we have always put the new on the back, simply put the rate of wear at the front is much greater if you just keep replacing the fronts over a period of time you could have a set of rear tyres over 5 or 6 years old having carried close to their maximum weight. That in itself could lead to a tyre failure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Andā€¦ā€¦I believe the new wisdom is to have the best tyres on the axle with the highest load rating. On a clab built this will be the rear,but not always on a pvc.
Bit late to this particular party but can you give us the source for that wisdom please?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Bit late to this particular party but can you give us the source for that wisdom please?
From memory,it was in an article in one of the club mags, probably CAMC, and written by a proper techie person,not just a journo. Itā€™s based on the assumption that with most motorhomes most of the weight is at the rear,so if you have a blow out it will be more difficult to control. The recommendation for cars,as far as I know, is for the best tyres to be at the front. Thatā€™s logical as most of the weight is forward.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
The recommendation for cars,as far as I know, is for the best tyres to be at the front.
Thanks, I'll see whether it's googleable!!

We've been having a front vs rear debate here, tyre manufacturers' advice is best tyres should be on the rear but a lot of people give reasons why they don't agree with it.. (''Proper techie person'' vs [amateur] ''journo''??) https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/best-tyres-front-or-back.288295/#post-5731724

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I was told by an experienced tyre fitter that the new tyres are put on the back. The theory is that older tyres are more likely to suffer a blowout and a front blowout is easier to control.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The argument for putting the best tyres on the rear is that for the typical driver understeer, when the front wheels skid first, is less dangerous than oversteer, which is when the back skids first and the rear can swing round broadside to oncoming traffic.

It's one of these counter-intuitive things like taking blind bends wide, not tucked in tight, which can easily generate a bit of an argument! :)

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
taking blind bends wide, not tucked in tight, which can easily generate a bit of an argument! :)
''..blind bends..tucked in tight..'' - so you can see even less & whack more pedestrians? I never heard that one.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
''..blind bends..tucked in tight..'' - so you can see even less & whack more pedestrians? I never heard that one.
It's what most drivers do because it feels safer and positioning yourself on the carriage-way is hardly touched on in the driving test.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
As said best tyres on the back to avoid the backend letting go as itā€™s harder to control then the front giving way, BUT we are driving motorhomes at a sedately pace and are experienced drivers in all weather conditionsā€¦

The above advice is aimed at mostly car drivers who undoubtedly push it sometimesā€¦

I myself would put the best tyres on the front (front wheel drive) for best traction in adverse conditions, Iā€™m not likely going to be going fast enough in any conditions to bring the back end roundā€¦šŸ˜Ž

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back