Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
So what should have been a fairly simple day of getting our van MOT'd turned in to a bit of a drama - but could have been so much worse.

To set the scene - we park on Dad's drive which is on a slope and we require some hefty ramps which Dave made and has perfected getting on and off of. This morning he'd taken it off the ramps and popped to the front door to say bye before heading to the garage, he heard a loud ping, turned around to see our beloved home on wheels rolling down the slope! Dad lives on a very busy residential road, there's a primary school up the road and there's frequently cars parked opposite us, not to mention the bungalows just across the road.

Luck was definitely on our side as there were no pedestrians, parked cars or traveling cars at that precise moment and the front lawn opposite slowed the van down to a stop before it reached the neighbours new car or his bungalow. I would always consider us pretty lucky in the game of life but today we definitely were. The only damage was the wheel grooves on his grass.

The handbrake cable snapped, so its booked in tomorrow for a new one as well as its MOT.

IMG_6189.JPG

This is where it ended up!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
That's a salutatory lesson in why to leave any vehicle in gear when parked. I've been trying for years to convince my friend that he should leave his car in gear, he lives right next to a school & there's a steep hill too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
What a stroke of luck!
A lesson learned for us all ,not to just use a handbrake on a slop!:xeek:

Reactions: Ven

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... have you offered to plant some spring bulbs in his lawn for him ... seeing as the 'hollows' are already there ... :xgrin:

OP
OP
Ven

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Leave it in first gear. :xsmile:
But a lucky escape!

Dave does always leave it in gear normally, it literally happened in the 1 minute he nipped out to say bye before leaving. Definitely a lesson learned.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Was going to post "Do the lottery this week..." but was well beaten to it... (but there are 2 of them doing the thinking...)

JJ :cool:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Crickey that was so lucky can't bare to think what could have Happened Ven xxx

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thank goodness he had grass so many drives are now concrete could have been so different!!
Thank your lucky star!!

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
o shit that was lucky ray xx lol still lol if you have to lay new turf it's the green side up:xeek:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Proper heart in mouth moment that one ! On the bright side, it is said a large dose of adrenaline now and then does the body a power of good !

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
wow so lucky indeed , for all around and yourselves... :)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Many years ago when we'd not long had a new motorhome we were leaving a field. For some reason I'd had to get out (to put back a sign or some tapes or something) and Martin carried on to the gates. He parked and got out to open them. I think you can guess the rest? Luckily the gates opened outwards and weren't fastened and the van was only moving very slowly on a grassy field. It could have been a different story though.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Looking at the other parked cars .... :xsurprised:

I would have said that is normal parking in that road... :xwink: :xrofl:

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
When I were a lad in Harrogate we lived on a steep road, and the opposite houses were also higher than us (IYSWIM).
So our neighbour down the hill from us had a drive separated from us by a brick wall that started as one brick, and ended about 15 foot high.
The mini clubman estate on the drive of the house opposite had a failed handbrake one night.
It rolled down their drive, across the road, took one set of wheel on the brick wall, the other down the drive and (honestly) turned completely upside down onto the neighbour's car.

When we all awoke we saw one car gently settled onto the roof of the other.

Because the mini had wooden sides to its estate, its only damage was a burst tyre.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
When I were a lad in Harrogate we lived on a steep road, and the opposite houses were also higher than us (IYSWIM).
So our neighbour down the hill from us had a drive separated from us by a brick wall that started as one brick, and ended about 15 foot high.
The mini clubman estate on the drive of the house opposite had a failed handbrake one night.
It rolled down their drive, across the road, took one set of wheel on the brick wall, the other down the drive and (honestly) turned completely upside down onto the neighbour's car.

When we all awoke we saw one car gently settled onto the roof of the other.

Because the mini had wooden sides to its estate, its only damage was a burst tyre.
I'm an Harrogate lad, the old man was chief inspector(police) there, now lives near knaresborough:xdoh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back