Birds of prey killings, the Beasts (game keepers) are roaming free (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
'Surge' in illegal bird of prey killings since lockdown https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52667502

if this isn’t real proof that it is the shooting estates that are persecuting birds of prey What does the Government need. It cannot be joe public, they have been in lockdown. Most ofthe game keepers will live out of sight on the estates so no one has been able to track them.
is anyone up for a petition to get the government to act?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
This is Sad news, all hunting and shooting should be a criminal offence, we should be doing no harm to any sentient being.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
This is Sad news, all hunting and shooting should be a criminal offence, we should be doing no harm to any sentient being.

I strongly agree. All hunting including coarse fishing is a blood sport and should be banned with serious penalties for doing so. I am a meat eater and accept we must kill animals for food however if the primary purpose of disturbing or killing an animal is pleasure it should not happen.

The "we look after the rivers" excuse for angling is absurd, allow public access to these rivers and let the tourist industry do that.

The killing of birds of prey by gamekeepers to protect pheasants that are bred to be shot is bizarre.

Control of vermin is an unfortunate necessity. Perhaps a sheep farmer protecting his lambs has a good reason to kill birds of prey although I do not know if they really do take lambs.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
'Surge' in illegal bird of prey killings since lockdown https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52667502

if this isn’t real proof that it is the shooting estates that are persecuting birds of prey What does the Government need. It cannot be joe public, they have been in lockdown. Most ofthe game keepers will live out of sight on the estates so no one has been able to track them.
is anyone up for a petition to get the government to act?

Imo
I wouldn't condemn game keepers out of hand (I haven't got any love for them)

I used to go on a peregrine falcon watch overnight . To keep pigeon fanciers away from shooting them when nesting .

Could well be reckless youths out and about with too much time on their hands with air rifles .seen it happen.

Wasn't there a post on fun last week re some toe rag shooting swans or ducks for sport ,then arrested for it ?

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I strongly agree. All hunting including coarse fishing is a blood sport and should be banned with serious penalties for doing so. I am a meat eater and accept we must kill animals for food however if the primary purpose of disturbing or killing an animal is pleasure it should not happen.

The "we look after the rivers" excuse for angling is absurd, allow public access to these rivers and let the tourist industry do that.

The killing of birds of prey by gamekeepers to protect pheasants that are bred to be shot is bizarre.

Control of vermin is an unfortunate necessity. Perhaps a sheep farmer protecting his lambs has a good reason to kill birds of prey although I do not know if they really do take lambs.
Instances of Birds of Prey with Lambs are usually already dead lambs taken by Golden Eagles. Corvids ( crows rooks) will take lambs eyes if they are weak but generally birds of prey eat carrot or small rodents

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Imo

I used to go on a peregrine falcon watch overnight . To keep pigeon fanciers away from shooting them when nesting .

Could well be recless youths out and about with too much time on their hands with air rifles .seen it happen.

Wasn't there a post on fun last week re some toe rag shooting swans or ducks for sport ,then arrested for it ?
The report is citing game shooting estates, which would be out of bounds at present to the toe rags. I think they would get short measure if they approached any estates as the fear of poaching is too strong

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
accept we must kill animals for food
I question that. We are omnivores.

That aside. It's about income - cash, kudos, business deals, and influence - among the estate owners. Check who they are. A step up from the 'business' lunch or game of golf.

I've seen a white-tail (sea eagle) carrying a lamb just down the road from here. Don't know whether it was live or not, I was driving so difficult to get a good view. Gulls will also attack lambs and ewes.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
It was to be expected during the lockdown, no one out to witness it.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Imo

Could well be reckless youths out and about with too much time on their hands with air rifles .seen it happen.

I don’t know if it was mine but but 2 lads were going round on moped shooting at wildlife :( including half tame swans and ducks that came upto feed - how could they! They also moved on to cats and other wildlife but after (allegedly) putting small holes in the sheep they came to the attention of the local farmers.

They weren’t arrested but suddenly stopped after their transport became crushed by a mysterious force!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I used to regularly fish rivers and lakes for more than 60 years, ever since going with my Dad as a nipper, but after I lost the use of one arm in a very serious m/bike accident I didn't fish for ten years and my old hobbies were limited. Last year I set up my gear and practised in the garden and reckoned I could manage again so I joined my local angling club and went to a small pond one warm, still day.
Nature was buzzing and busy all around me and soon a tiny beautiful fish was on the bank, flapping and gasping and looking at me with the ghastly hook stuck through its top lip. To my utter surprise I was overcome with a powerful wave of nausea and revulsion and felt utterly ashamed to have violated its little life and its environment, just for fun. I slid it back into the pond and I'll never go fishing again.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Nature was buzzing and busy all around me and soon a tiny beautiful fish was on the bank, flapping and gasping and looking at me with the ghastly hook stuck through its top lip. To my utter surprise I was overcome with a powerful wave of nausea and revulsion and felt utterly ashamed to have violated its little life and its environment, just for fun. I slid it back into the pond and I'll never go fishing again.
Thank you for your compassion. :hugs:

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Instances of Birds of Prey with Lambs are usually already dead lambs taken by Golden Eagles. Corvids ( crows rooks) will take lambs eyes if they are weak but generally birds of prey eat carrot or small rodents
Depends on the bird. Sparrowhawks, Peregrines and Goshawks generally catch other birds on the wing. Goshawks will also take larger mammals like squirrels.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The game keepers will be doing this on orders of estate managers and on behalf of the land owners.

As a deterrent the estate owners should be hit with massive fines and sporting restrictions. Hopefully they would then stop their employees from continuing with this barbaric practice.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I think that this might not be game keepers. When it was common place and considered acceptable for them to control the larger raptors, poison bait was their choice not shot guns.

The number of buzzards and kites have noticably increased over the last coupleof decades. I can see 3 buzzard nests out of my window now. What I can't see and miss terribly though are swifts. They have nested in the eaves of the house for generations but stopped coming about 5 years ago when a hobby nested in the wood oppsite. I didn't know it at the time but it is the one UK raptor that is agile enough to catch swifts and swallows on the wing.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The game keepers will be doing this on orders of estate managers and on behalf of the land owners.

As a deterrent the estate owners should be hit with massive fines and sporting restrictions. Hopefully they would then stop their employees from continuing with this barbaric practice.
Simple penalty - revoke firearms / shotgun certificate. They wouldn't (couldn't) do it again. Given the money that changes hands in the shooting sports world fines will never stop it.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Logistics of all this protection of bird of prey stuff ?

Son in law (or he would have been at the end of the month) works and lives with daughter on a 12,000 acre estate.
They do shoots and he assists the gamekeeper at this time of year, just like he assists during harvest season. I have no idea if gets involved with this type of thing but i doubt it.
So rural hampshire, 12,000 acre estate. (It borders another one and i am sure there are many more) raptor gets killed. How do the authorities find out, then investigate, then prosecute ?
Interested as I have no idea

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
When I think of the cash we and many many other people have all spent on fishing holidays (catch and release I stress) and definitely in local commerce, I suggest you try taking 10 people including children some of them still in nappies to a very rural commercial carp lake in the middle of nowhere with no facilities and feeding them all to everyone's satisfaction for a fortnight without considerably boosting the local economy whilst you do it, if you want to try it?

We used to have virtually resident songbirds in our back garden, regularly nesting in our trees - but not since the kestrel's been a regular visitor, robins for one such example are now as rare as hen's teeth, no blackbirds, thrushes, sparrows or swifts now.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I am a meat eater and accept we must kill animals for food
It is a choice to eat meat, it is perfectly reasonable to be a vegetarian and have a full and healthy life. If you saw what happened in the slaughter houses you may not eat meat as a matter of course. Many who work in slaughter houses suffer with the trauma of seeing so much death and distress. So we all have a choice in what we eat. ?

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
My 2 nephews are both gamekeepers as was their father. I do know they hate Chris Packem. I see photos on their FB of young golden eagles dead and suffering as they have had a tracking device put on by I suppose RSPB or another conservation body. Another photo a neighbouring estate unkeepered with lots of broken eggs on the ground stolen by carrion crows.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back