Free Member
Sep 9, 2019
Peterborough Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
We have a 2019 swift select 164 campervan/motorhome. I also have a westfalia towbar mounted bike rack previously used with my car. Should I fit a towbar to accommodate the rack I already have or fit a thule bike rack on the rear doors. My bikes are non electric weighing in at 14 kgs each. Would it be worth considering rear air suspension to cope with the extra weight of towbar and bike rack, or even rear mounted rack. Thanks folks you advice is very welcome

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
We have a 2019 swift select 164 campervan/motorhome. I also have a westfalia towbar mounted bike rack previously used with my car. Should I fit a towbar to accommodate the rack I already have or fit a thule bike rack on the rear doors. My bikes are non electric weighing in at 14 kgs each. Would it be worth considering rear air suspension to cope with the extra weight of towbar and bike rack, or even rear mounted rack. Thanks folks you advice is very welcome
I'd check that you can get the rear doors open with bike rack on

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Your bikes are not that heavy and the Fiamma door mounted one will take 35 kg although I have 45kg on mine but my rack is bolted on through the rear door, and you will be able to open the doors.
If you use a normal tow ball mounted one then you will not be able to open the doors unless you go for one of the expensive ones which move to one side.
You also have the cost and 30 kg weight of a tow bar set up to consider.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Take your van down to a weighbridge and check out your axle loadings. Remember anything overhanging the rear will put a lot more than its own weight on the rear axle. I'd go for a door mounted one. It will be a lot cheaper than fitting a towbar/electrics etc. unless you want one anyway. It is also more convenient as you can mount away from the lighting and don't have to faff with lighting boards etc. The main issue is that most door mounted ones are limited to 2 bikes.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The only tow ball mounted “normal” bike rack that any of us have found that allows full opening of rear doors is the Atera Strada dl3. You have to buy the 3 not 2 to allow it to slide out far enough and drop down. Works a treat. We still needed a 1 inch spacer on our tow bar though on a Fiat Ducato with a witter towbar although some have got away without. We use it with two electric bikes.
Lots of Youtube videos with it on motorhomes.
It’s about £350 from Roofbox company.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have two tow bar racks Westfalia is the better engineered and will drop so you can open the rear doors. Also have a Thule rack but you have to remove it to open the rear doors the Thule is not a bike rack unless you add other components. But even in its platform state it has to be removed.

Last edited:

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
It’s worth looking closely at your bike sizing. Many modern mtbs have chunky tyres will those fit the wheel guides. Larger frames and wheels will extend full width of the vehicle so can still hide a lot of the lights on door or tow bar mount. Personally toe bar seems better for your pvc long term. Are those door hinges really designed to take that extra weight being bumped up and down as you hit that pothole

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It’s worth looking closely at your bike sizing. Many modern mtbs have chunky tyres will those fit the wheel guides. Larger frames and wheels will extend full width of the vehicle so can still hide a lot of the lights on door or tow bar mount. Personally toe bar seems better for your pvc long term. Are those door hinges really designed to take that extra weight being bumped up and down as you hit that pothole
When the doors are closed the weight isn't hardly on the hinges..Had mine on the back doors of my van for 4 years now,,about 32000 miles..Also have 2 storage box's mounted underneath the rack but the majority of the weight is supported by the rear step.Quite a few on here said it would buckle the doors but up to now no problems.Have used the same method on a previous van. BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Not casting doubt on your fitness, but it’s easier to lift a bike on the tow bar rack then halfway up the van.
But if you stop lifting you will just get weaker.If you don't use it you will loose it 😁😁 BUSBY.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have two tow bar racks Westfalia is the better engineered and will drop so you can open the rear doors. Also have a Thule rack but you have to remove it to open the rear doors the Thule is not a bike rack unless you add other components. But even in its platform state it has to be removed.

Will tilt forward clear side opening doors?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If you go for a door mounted one such as the Fiamma one then if you put the channels on the lower setting then the bikes will obscure the right hand lights. As you don’t have a tow bar then a lighting board would be no good as you have nowhere to plug them in.
I put a set of trailer lights lower down but I did have the towbar electrics to tap into.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
If you go for a door mounted one such as the Fiamma one then if you put the channels on the lower setting then the bikes will obscure the right hand lights. As you don’t have a tow bar then a lighting board would be no good as you have nowhere to plug them in.
I put a set of trailer lights lower down but I did have the towbar electrics to tap into.
Mine just clears the lights,,mounted pretty high.My van is a 2002 so different light cluster.BUSBY.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Mine just clears the lights,,mounted pretty high.My van is a 2002 so different light cluster.BUSBY.

I chose the Thule one over the Fiamma specifically because it would be easier to clear the lights with. The channel rack is mounted to the bottom of the bars, so the main structure of the rack doesn't descend any lower than it needs to, blocking anything. Make sure you get the ones specifically for PVCs, as they are offset to mount to a single door. The standard types are symetrical for coachbuilts, so useless for a PVC.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I chose the Thule one over the Fiamma specifically because it would be easier to clear the lights with. The channel rack is mounted to the bottom of the bars, so the main structure of the rack doesn't descend any lower than it needs to, blocking anything. Make sure you get the ones specifically for PVCs, as they are offset to mount to a single door. The standard types are symetrical for coachbuilts, so useless for a PVC.
The standard ones don't have the clamps either for fixing to the door.Mine are also bolted.BUSBY.

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
We have the fiamma one and it gets mounted quite high so could be a problem if you can't lift, it's height allows use of the carrier without the need for extra light board. The other thing to note is that you will bump your head on it at least once when closing the back doors ;-)

Attachments

• fiamma bike rack.jpg
    fiamma bike rack.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 43
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We have the fiamma one and it gets mounted quite high so could be a problem if you can't lift, it's height allows use of the carrier without the need for extra light board. The other thing to note is that you will bump your head on it at least once when closing the back doors ;-)
Agree with your last comment ..BUSBY😁

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Only once.
There are two settings on the Fiamma and if you move it to the lower one which makes it easier to lift the bikes on then they will obscure the right hand light cluster.

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
I have a tow bar cycle rack and can open the read doors slightly when i get to the camp site i take the bikes and rack off and lock the bike onto the rack,jobs a goodun.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
I have a tow bar cycle rack and can open the read doors slightly when i get to the camp site i take the bikes and rack off and lock the bike onto the rack,jobs a goodun.
The problem with that is when you have to open the doors fully for security at the tunnel or ferry

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
The problem with that is when you have to open the doors fully for security at the tunnel or ferry
Tell them I can't open mine and let them in through side door.BUSBY.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Yes, I forgot about that particular disadvantage! I once managed to give the door a good slam when standing in front of it. Ear still attached, just.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I have two tow bar racks Westfalia is the better engineered and will drop so you can open the rear doors.

Can someone with a Ducato confirm if the rear doors will open with the Westfalia rack tilted. I have been waiting for over a month for an Altera Strada from Roofbox as they are on back order and could do with somethin for a few trips next month.
Ta
H

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back