Bigguspeckus owns up: a tale of woe. (1 Viewer)

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We've owned Moho for 4years & spent half of that time living in her touring Europe. I think that would qualify us as "reasonably experienced".
Last nite I went to remove the cassette (we're in Rota Southern Spain), I'd opened the slide to check the internal level (as ya do) went outside and gave the cassette the usual tug,,, it didn't budge,,, so I gave it another, firmer, tug and a strange noise emanated from the "internals".
Trying not to panic, I speedily skipped indoors to investigate (I already knew what I'd done!).
Sure'nuff I'd left the slide open.
The cassette was stuck fast,,, it wouldn't come out and the slide made a horrible rasping noise when I operated it.
BUGGER-re-BUGGER!
As it was very dark I told Mrs Biggus that I'd sort it in the morning.
I tried to sound confident (as ya do) but,,, eeeerrrrrm,,, I wasn't!

Wood ya'arwl mind awfully if I finish this later,,, one of our Jacks is insisting itz walkies time and I dont know if I loose all this if I shut ma phone down.
Itz quite a good story and ya mite learn summit,,, I did!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Come on boi wees waitin :yawn2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Try gently pushing the cassette back in then hopefully you’ll be able to close the slide.
Hi.
Or. Get about a yard of 4x4timber,find a C/vanner with a 4x4 .Place the 4x4 wood horizontaly against the Tow bar of 4x4 motor and guide him back holding the wood until it locates against the "Sticky out" bit of the cassette when there is enough pressure between units to hold it firm,step out of the way and say...NOW!! The driver of the 4x4 will power up the motor,let out the clutch and...BOOM!! your cassette will be relocated. (y) IF.. it is not in the right place after this,might i suggest you look in one of the lower cupboards or under the cooker ? as it may be in one of those places now,easy done. Best of luck.
Tea Bag

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I dislodged my blade doing similar in Croatia. The cassette came out but blade,
slider and mechanism was all out of alignment.
The only thing for it was to dismantle, clean, smear with vaseline and reassemble.
Worked perfectly ever since.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Well I honestly never knew you had to have the slide closed to extract the cassette!!
Now I know you can bet your life I’ll do the same at some point!! Thanks for the lesson?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Well I honestly never knew you had to have the slide closed to extract the cassette!!
Now I know you can bet your life I’ll do the same at some point!! Thanks for the lesson?

What have you been doing then??

bigguspeckus rota is a great stop.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I always lay a towel across the toilet and let the other arf know it’s not to be used.

Leave the lid and the seat up. If the Lady of the House goes to put the seat down she is bound to see a big hole at the bottom of the pan. Anway while I am doing the cassette she is busy opening the dirty water and getting the hose ready to fill with fresh.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Whilst we're on the subject of bodily fluids (again :smiley: ) is it worth mentioning the built-in overfill disaster avoidance device built into the cassette? There's maybe someone who doesn't know about it.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Whilst we're on the subject of bodily fluids (again :smiley: ) is it worth mentioning the built-in overfill disaster avoidance device built into the cassette? There's maybe someone who doesn't know about it.
Oh do tell, I've never heard of that

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
yes ours worked - when I'm saying ther's loads of room yet, then the nasty little red light comes on last thing at night when you know you're going to be making several visits during the night so have to empty in the dark:(

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
yes ours worked - when I'm saying ther's loads of room yet, then the nasty little red light comes on last thing at night when you know you're going to be making several visits during the night so have to empty in the dark:(
Thats why its always handy to carry a shewee for the mrs (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't mean warning lights - they can be ignored. If you ever overfill to the extent that there is liquid above the flap, no matter how much, the cassette is designed so that you can drain it off without removing it. Leave the flap open, from outside swivel out the emptying nozzle, place a bucket under it, then remove the cap. The bottom of the emptying nozzle is at the same height as the underside of the flap so once liquid stops coming out you can put the cap back on, close the flap, then remove the cassette as normal for emptying. Not everyone knows that (y).

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
I've never worked out how much more you can do after the light comes on. Minded it's around litre. Anyone know?

Reactions: 68c
Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Good to know thanks,
After dinner seams the favourite time to have the will it go the night debate.
I’ve now got lights on the back end (pun intended) to make it easier
Usually remember to check the flap first, our cassette comes out quite smoothly so if it won’t it’s quite obvious what the problem is.

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
When i remove a cassette i leave the service door open so there is daylight shining through. If SWMBO goes to use the pot and she can see daylight at the bottom then how much more warning can I give

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It's also advisable to tell you partner/wife/whatever that you are removing the Cassette!!!!!
Yeeeeeeeessssss?. AND I still got the job of cleaning it up after one of the boys "did one" in the first caravan that had a cassette.
I don't mean warning lights - they can be ignored. If you ever overfill to the extent that there is liquid above the flap, no matter how much, the cassette is designed so that you can drain it off without removing it. Leave the flap open, from outside swivel out the emptying nozzle, place a bucket under it, then remove the cap. The bottom of the emptying nozzle is at the same height as the underside of the flap so once liquid stops coming out you can put the cap back on, close the flap, then remove the cassette as normal for emptying. Not everyone knows that (y).

(Michael Caine), and Assuming the `van is level?.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back