slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Hi Guys

Started to put the shower in and to do this i have had to cut a hole in the floor of the coach/motorhome, not as easy as you might think!

I'm having to sink it in because of the glass i have for the shower doors, the base by the way is a very heavy resin type.

What i have to do now is cut away the metal support and move it underneath and to then make up a few other supports, after that its only the plumbing, wiring, erecting a wall or two, tiling, putting the pump in.........:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• smalldaf1.jpg
    smalldaf1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 234
  • smalldaf2.jpg
    smalldaf2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 232
C

Caravanning

Deleted User
Careful with what you are cutting away as those metal sections form the deign strength of the vehicle structure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I woudnt even think about trying something like that. Im the type of guy who knows a man that does !!

Good Luck

:whatthe:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I'm glad that hole isn't in my Bus!!!!:ROFLMAO:

I'll do most things including cutting and welding, but fair comment.Mind the structural bracing.:thumb:

All the best of luck with the refit.Saves on having a Black/grey water tank.:ROFLMAO:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Why are you fitting a great heavy resin base??? They weigh a ton and there are much lighter options available to you including stainless steel. Think how much in the long term its going to cost you in fuel humping that big thing around the country:Eeek:

How about a timber box that is tiled over?? This would also be much easier to fit. :winky:

Good luck with it whatever you choose :thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Why are you fitting a great heavy resin base??? They weigh a ton and there are much lighter options available to you including stainless steel. Think how much in the long term its going to cost you in fuel humping that big thing around the country:Eeek:

How about a timber box that is tiled over?? This would also be much easier to fit. :winky:

Good luck with it whatever you choose :thumb:

I must admit I was thinking along the same lines Dazzer.:thumb:

C

Caravanning

Deleted User
As it is being fitted into a coach, and looking at the pictures, quite a large vehicle, the weight of a shower unit will be insignificant to overall fuel usage.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
As it is being fitted into a coach, and looking at the pictures, quite a large vehicle, the weight of a shower unit will be insignificant to overall fuel usage.

All adds up must have nearly a ton in my lockers:Doh::RollEyes:

OP
OP
slickmouse

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Hi

A few reasons, I bought it ages ago cost a fortune and its taking up room! as for the weight its a 39.9 foot Coach and the weight is not a problem.

The weight of it is good for any movement that will take place and there will be room for Two :thumb:

I will be bracing it up to protect the structure.

Will take more pics at the weekend as i hope to have the base in place as well as a few other things

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi there is no way I would make a hole in my floor like that. :Doh:

I would get the wife to do it.:ROFLMAO:

I know when we had to cut the hole for our Gaslow Filler in the side of the van, it's a bit of a worry, but once you start thats it get on with it.

Good Luck with your project. Bob.:thumb:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi

A few reasons, I bought it ages ago cost a fortune and its taking up room! as for the weight its a 39.9 foot Coach and the weight is not a problem.

The weight of it is good for any movement that will take place and there will be room for Two :thumb:

I will be bracing it up to protect the structure.

Will take more pics at the weekend as i hope to have the base in place as well as a few other things

Hmmm weight may not be an issue but I think you will find that the length is I believe that motorhomes are restricted to 39 feet or 12 metres (hence all the problems with RVs), so you won't be able to register this vehicle as a motorhome!

Regards Pat

Last edited:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Yep, as Pat says - come next April when, I believe, the official Dept of Transport report will be published - a motorhome will be restricted to 12 metres long (39ft 4 inches) by 2.6 metres wide ( 8ft 6 inches). That was what UKRV discovered when he used the Freedom of Information Act on the DoT recently.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hmmm weight may not be an issue but I think you will find that the length is I believe that motorhomes are restricted to 39 feet or 12 metres (hence all the problems with RVs), so you won't be able to register this vehicle as a motorhome!

Regards Pat

So best register it before that date then I guess, ASSUMING THE LAW THEN DOES NOT WORK RETROSPECTIVELY.:Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
moving goal posts

retrospectively is a much used word when it come to the government, look how many people in the LEZ have had to change vehicles, now tax increases on older vehicles previously exempt the price hike, no sorry no one in government understands fixed goalposts, they just keep moving them. No understanding of the real world, or consideration for those of us fighting for survival in it is the cause of the problem

OP
OP
slickmouse

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
It's all been done, its registered as a Motorhome, taxed and MOT'd as that too
scouting around for seperate fully comp insurance and so far had a quote of £348 not bad, includes £2k contents and 90 day cover abroad, legal insurance and windscreen. I'm happy :Cool:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
So best register it before that date then I guess, ASSUMING THE LAW THEN DOES NOT WORK RETROSPECTIVELY.:Doh:

I assumed that as it is a coach it was already registered and there might have been a problem to change the classification to camper/motorhome!

Let's hope you don't get stopped and measured!!!

Regards Pat

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
It's all been done, its registered as a Motorhome, taxed and MOT'd as that too
scouting around for seperate fully comp insurance and so far had a quote of £348 not bad, includes £2k contents and 90 day cover abroad, legal insurance and windscreen. I'm happy :Cool:

Nice one.:thumb:

Worst case ...take the bumpers off.That'll lose you .5 feet...:ROFLMAO:

I assume you're ok on the width.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slickmouse

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Hi Guys

Today i had to cut out a small section in the shower base

DSCF0201.jpg

DSCF0203.jpg

DSCF0204.jpg

The strengthening bar was in the way so i cut the top of the base

after that i had to install the brackets for the joists which are to support the base and i had to drill through the body for this. I remover the Black rubbing strip which runs along the exterior of the coach and drilled through the body the the metal chassis, i had to use coach bolts but as the heads were a bit big i had to cut them a wee bit, you can see in a picture one bolt cut and the other not.

DSCF0207.jpg

DSCF0223.jpg

DSCF0227.jpg

DSCF0229.jpg

I used all stainless bolts and nylon nuts also injected some no more nails in the cavity

I will weld the brackets on this side for more strength

Now what i have to do is install the brackets on the other side.

I hope you can understand what i am trying to do:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back