LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hi, would really appreciate your advice.

I want to buy an adult folding tricycle. One ending on Ebay tomorrow is too large to fit in locker.
M/home doesn't have a bike rack. It has a horizontal bar fitted with 4 fixings, above my head height (I'm 5'4'') Is this part of a bike rack? (If it isn't, any idea what it is?)

Dimensions of folded bike will be 110cms x 94cms x 98cms.

If anyone can tell me what I need to have fitted to rear of m/home and any idea of cost, I'd be v grateful.
Many thanks.

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I can't judge height!!! Rail is at my shoulder height.

Photo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• mhome bar 002_opt.jpg
    mhome bar 002_opt.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
That looks like a roof rack bar. Maybe previous owner fitted it to hang something on. I certainly dont recognise it as part of a bike rack anyway.

Most if not all the proper bike racks I have seen have 4 brackets that attach to the wall. 2 top and 2 below, which the rack hangs off and allow the rack to be taken off when not required

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Very strange!! Maybe they dried their laundry from it while driving along!!

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Had a thought this afternoon..... If you have a towbar on your van, you can get a towbar mounted bike rack that would take the trike.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
From looking at your photo and checking your van on the web, you have a rear transverse bed on the rear right hand (UK offside) corner - opposite side to the ladder. This makes it much easier to go about fitting a rack as there shouldn't be anything in the way (such as fridge, cooker on rear kitchen models).

You need to find the cross members within the rear wall so you can then work out which size of rack that you need as there are different types depending on the distance between the upper and lower fixings.

Having fitted a rack to a motorhome with a layout such as yours I found it wasn't a problem to do once I knew where the cross members were, I also put a brace on the inside wall of the motorhome (hidden behind the bed base and headboard), and ensured that I put sections of tubing in the wall itself (just the depth of the structure itself - narrow gas pipe is ideal) to ensure that when I tightened up the bolts the wall itself wasn't squashed.

Hubby had a duck fit when I was doing it though as he didn't like the though of me drilling holes in the back of our 2 year old motorhome but at least I'd waited until it was out of the warranty before I did it!:RollEyes:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Gulp!!! Drilling and fixing things not for me. I am a disaster these days with anything electrical/mechanical :winky:
Decided to wait until I'm in the UK when there is either a. competent person to fit bike rack or b. find suitable bike that will fold into large locker.

Thanks for all the advice.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back