LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
In the wee small hours, I went onto MHF.

There was a 'flag' and, when I clicked on it, there was a request for a BF Code.

This request came from someone who had joined MHF at 8.30pm (4 hrs earlier)

In that time and using his five free posts, he had 'harvested two codes, a Spanish and a French code. I was the third potential code. He was certainly NOT a paid up member of Fun and I sent him on his way.

The avatar showed what could have been a photo from a KGB Identity card (or perhaps a Brittany Ferries I. D. card)

For goodness sake Funsters, have a care in who you offer your code to.

The issue of codes TO 'FREE MEMBERS' will end up with us all being penalised.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If they're that bothered why do they give vouchers for people using your code?. I don't think they're bothered if you're besties or have just met it's just marketing

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The issue is that while on some devices like now on my PC, I can clearly see subscribed members from the colour of the forum name.
However on phones etc it's not so clear. Many times i have seen these posts for codes, my view is that seems right to offer to other fully paid up members and not the one's who join just to get a freebie.
Some give the codes maybe because they are not bothered about it, others i suspect, don't realise who is paid up and who is not.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
So your code gets posted up in a Pub/Club and gets used in a defined area.
It, doesn't matter to me if the issuer gets kicked off the scheme but I'd be mightily *******(insert verb here) if it affected me.

If it were a marketing tool, how come they have restricted the issue of codes to new joiners. Hardly the act of a Co. that don't care about profit.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
But this bloke is a FREE MEMBER!!! and it showed he had joined at 8.30pm.

The issue is that while on some devices like now on my PC, I can clearly see subscribed members from the colour of the forum name.
However on phones etc it's not so clear. Many times i have seen these posts for codes, my view is that seems right to offer to other fully paid up members and not the one's who join just to get a freebie.
Some give the codes maybe because they are not bothered about it, others i suspect, don't realise who is paid up and who is not.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Do you get a benefit in giving your code to someone?

You did offer it yesterday, I don’t know if you know that member , not a lot of difference between the two really 🤔

But I do share your thoughts on it being a bit cheeky if not paid up, but I don’t think it breaks any rules

Edit - just seen another thread where it says you get £10 👍

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

You did offer it yesterday, I don’t know if you know that member , not a lot of difference between the two really 🤔

But I do share your thoughts on it being a bit cheeky if not paid up, but I don’t think it breaks any rules

I saw that you get £10 per recommendation and a limit of £150 a year. Hardly sounds like they're putting a huge restriction on. I suspect it's like a lot of "clubs" just marketing. Much more likely to be removed if they get busy and don't need the extra trade like the tunnel frequent traveller scheme than because people are recommending people they don't know.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I saw that you get £10 per recommendation and a limit of £150 a year. Hardly sounds like they're putting a huge restriction on. I suspect it's like a lot of "clubs" just marketing. Much more likely to be removed if they get busy and don't need the extra trade like the tunnel frequent traveller scheme than because people are recommending people they don't know.

I don't get '£150`
I get vouchers to the value of however many codes I give out THE PREVIOUS YEAR., if I rejoin.

There is a World of difference between giving a code to someone I may have met on a rally field when attending or when I had organised a rally.
We are a club. We have a membership. I can understand Jim allowing people having access but some are taking that generosity to ridiculous levels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

I did offer it yesterday. I offered it to a Bona fide member of MY club.
That's the difference.
It may be of no difference to you and that is your choice.
I would suggest that the 'likes' given to my OP show I am not on my own in my thinking.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I guess non-subscribers touting for a BF code don't consider it any different from using Google to get any number of free discount codes for very many types of product on the market. After all, it's a BF offer not a Fun offer as you don't have to be a Fun subscriber to benefit from someone else's BF 'Friends and Family' participation.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
May be a silly question, but what benefit do these codes provide?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003

There’s a big difference between someone purely logging on to get a code and a Funster

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
There’s a big difference between someone purely logging on to get a code and a Funster

As I understand the forum non paying members can’t send a message, so unless a paid up member is desperate for the £10 they will not get a code, they are only asking possibly knowing it helps the giver as well as the receiver

I am not criticising Emmit here, just discussing the subject 👍

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
In response to David (above)

Anyone joining Fun gets 5 posts.
The person I referred to in my OP used all 5 messages within a 2 hr. period to get as many codes as possible.
I was the third Funster he wrote to. I turned him down. By then he had two codes.
Thus the reason for my post.

From where I stand, someone who has not paid the subscription is not a Funster. For the same reason that they cannot attend a Fun Rally, they shouldn't be privy to use this wonderful site to tap up Funsters for codes.

Last edited:
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I must admit it does annoy me a little bit. Fully aware it shouldn't but I do find it a bit rude people creating an account asking to save a few quid and disappearing.

On the other hand I notice there is a handful of users have decided to stick around.... Plus the more people there are asking for a code, the more funsters can save as well.

So two sides to it. What's your take on it Jim ?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I agree with you as it is a bit rude, you mentioned he already had two codes. Can you use multiple codes for one booking? If not why would he need more codes, unless he’s booking several crossings.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
If not why would he need more codes, unless he’s booking several crossings.

Possibly this (harvesting codes):

I have heard of folks who have been given a code then they’re passing it on freely on social media; that’s well out of order.

Ian

Ian

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I agree with you as it is a bit rude, you mentioned he already had two codes. Can you use multiple codes for one booking? If not why would he need more codes, unless he’s booking several crossings.
I don't know the detail of how the F&F discount works but maybe he's selling them on to others?

If you can use multiple codes for the same booking you could get 10% off the initial fare, then 10% off 90% of your discounted fare, then 10% off the discounted 80% fare............etc. etc. That can't be how it works.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I’m with Derek Emmit , I’m only prepared to give my code out to paid up members of MotorhomeFun, even that’s being a bit loose with the friend bit as most members I’m unlikely to meet. I’m on the old scheme so can get the max of £150 but new members get £80. Obviously it’s a nice little perk if you get a few quid towards a ferry crossing but I don’t want to jeopardize it. I’ve never had anywhere near the £150 mind.

It just seems like taking advantage of the forum. I know a lot of us joined after finding the forum accidentally when looking for the solution to a problem but that seems different to asking for something that is basically a wad of cash. Maybe I’m just daft, it has been said more than once :giggle:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I don't know the detail of how the F&F discount works but maybe he's selling them on to others?

If you can use multiple codes for the same booking you could get 10% off the initial fare, then 10% off 90% of your discounted fare, then 10% off the discounted 80% fare............etc. etc. That can't be how it works.
No, one code per booking.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I only ever give my code out to family and friends, nobody else at all.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Maybe I'm colour blind but I do sometimes miss the distinction between full Fun member and a free member or visitor.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back