Beware Calais , (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
Be carefully, I know most people are aware of problems around this area . So If your in France waiting for return travels back to uk , i am currently parked in city Europe while my wife shopping, there are 2to3 people wondering around motorhome’s checking doors in Broad day light . They now I’m in the van so haven’t approach mine .
as I’ve opened all blinds so I can see them and they can see me , I watched one guy going a round checking motorhome /campers.
So I got out and walk over him , asked what the he was up too. Basically said he wants go to England . I said ok good luck .
I have you on camera so keep away.
Just smiled and walked away.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Be carefully, I know most people are aware of problems around this area . So If your in France waiting for return travels back to uk , i am currently parked in city Europe while my wife shopping, there are 2to3 people wondering around motorhome’s checking doors in Broad day light . They now I’m in the van so haven’t approach mine .
as I’ve opened all blinds so I can see them and they can see me , I watched one guy going a round checking motorhome /campers.
So I got out and walk over him , asked what the he was up too. Basically said he wants go to England . I said ok good luck .
I have you on camera so keep away.
Just smiled and walked away.

Did you not ring the Police?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The police can look out of their windows and see them 🤬
I suspect there is a level of tolerance or dis-interest
It seems that the police just accost them then release them to try again. I guess that by trying the doors they aren't committing any prosecutable crime worth detaining them. Besides, where would they detain/imprison the many hundreds of chancers (who won't yet have claimed asylum) as they don't/can't send them back to their country of origin or to where they entered Europe.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Wasnt these 2 I had a good chat with 2 weeks ago In Calais by any chance ;0
asked me to take them to England , they were waiting for the "boat man"

1709385802001.png

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Hence we do out shopping at Carrefour in Arcis Sur Aube
It on the A26 between Troyes and Reims and has a very nice campsite nearby.

It's 4 hrs from Calais, so once we leave we don't stop until the port.
Same on the way out, so we tend to book it for first night and/or last night of the trip

Exactly,no need to stop anywhere near Calais,Auchan Boulogne in the other direction. Hope no-one sneaked into the blind side locker when OP left his van :doh:

OP
OP
buzz1
Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
Actually just before we left , police turn up ,
So maybe someone reported then ?
They are determined I give them that ,
As I stop at stop one ran behind my van .
Probably to climb under my bar area .
Unfortunately I put it in wrong gear .it was Rev and almost hit him by accident of course.
Then he shuttled off ,
Certainly an eye opener.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have written previously that Dunkirk did not have any problems in the years that we were travelling, but it is now 6 years since we went to UK from there.

My theory has been that since Dunkirk has only one ferry every two hours there is never a queue so everyone drives straight to check-in so no stationary traffic to target and so not attractive for stowaways near the port. That is not to say that S/Market CPs in the area are safe, especially now there is a migrant camp at Grande Synthe.

Can others please update us on immigrant problems at Dunkirk.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We do our return shopping at Leclerc, Charmes Vosges. 360miles away but close to our vet for the worming (dogs not us)

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
I have written previously that Dunkirk did not have any problems in the years that we were travelling, but it is now 6 years since we went to UK from there.

My theory has been that since Dunkirk has only one ferry every two hours there is never a queue so everyone drives straight to check-in so no stationary traffic to target and so not attractive for stowaways near the port. That is not to say that S/Market CPs in the area are safe, especially now there is a migrant camp at Grande Synthe.

Had no problems entering or leeving Dunkirk. To be honest we didnt see anyone loitering at the roadside either.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
At least they aren't looking to steal things out of motorhomes. I just think myself lucky I'm in my situation rather than theirs

Actually the French police have told me in the past that this is exactly what some of these guys are doing because they need to sustain themselves in France whilst waiting to cross. They mainly look for food and drink and leave. They said most of them are not stupid enough to try and stowaway in a Motorhome because they know they are highly likely to be discovered by the owners before they even get on the Ferry or Tunnel.

How true this is I do not know but it is what I was told.

There have been some (rare) well publicised cases yes but rare they are.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024
York
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
15 Years

We travel via Dunkirk every year, no problems at all. No Immigrants to be seen in the area.

Oct 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
2006 Hymer A Class
Most, including me, try to put distance between themselves and Calais. However, what I cannot get my head around, is how come the new aire, in Calais itself, gets such good reviews about being a very, very, safe stop over and migrant free.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
, what I cannot get my head around, is how come the new aire, in Calais itself, gets such good reviews about being a very, very, safe stop over and migrant free.
Have you tired it yourself, or don't believe the reviews ?

we have used it several times now .. 10 mins from the port, tunnel or Citi Europe ..

close to the beach for an evening walk to buy chips ... or a walk into town

and no, never seen any migrants lurking near the aire

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They tried to get in my mate's van & his wife was in it at the time at the Dunkirk Auchan.
I've also seen lots of immigrants walking along the side of the Autoroute by Dunkirk.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used it last year in June for our return to the UK, stayed at the port parking for the night, no migrants, no problems.

Oct 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
2006 Hymer A Class
Have you tired it yourself, or don't believe the reviews ?

we have used it several times now .. 10 mins from the port, tunnel or Citi Europe ..

close to the beach for an evening walk to buy chips ... or a walk into town

and no, never seen any migrants lurking near the aire
Hi
No, not tried it, but would like to next trip, reviews, yes of course, I believe them, there are too many praising it, to not believe, I just find it strange, there are no sightings, being so close to the port, the same cannot be said for the other ports, quite the opposite, like I say, i will give it go this trip

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
They tried to get in my mate's van & his wife was in it at the time at the Dunkirk Auchan.
I've also seen lots of immigrants walking along the side of the Autoroute by Dunkirk.
Stayed at gravelines, bergues and Oye Plage quite a few times and have only ever seen two migrants walking down the A16 at 6.30 in the morning👍

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi
No, not tried it, but would like to next trip, reviews, yes of course, I believe them, there are too many praising it, to not believe, I just find it strange, there are no sightings, being so close to the port, the same cannot be said for the other ports, quite the opposite, like I say, i will give it go this trip
probably because it is at least a 40min walk from the port .. along open roads with no cover.. and it's next door to a large campsite that no doubt has CCTV ..

the aire itself has high security fencing and a security gate, but have never seen the gate closed ..

entry is controlled by a barrier which requires a credit card.. it issues a ticket with a pin code for exit and entry if you want go out anywhere and come back , the bourne is also outside the barrier ..

the beach is a 10 min walk away and the promenade makes a nice evening walk ..

Oct 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
2006 Hymer A Class
probably because it is at least a 40min walk from the port .. along open roads with no cover.. and it's next door to a large campsite that no doubt has CCTV ..

the aire itself has high security fencing and a security gate, but have never seen the gate closed ..

entry is controlled by a barrier which requires a credit card.. it issues a ticket with a pin code for exit and entry if you want go out anywhere and come back , the bourne is also outside the barrier ..

the beach is a 10 min walk away and the promenade makes a nice evening walk ..
Thanks for the info the actual distance to the promenade, is closer than what I thought, might go see this dragon thing

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Had this experience just last week at Cite Europe - told my wife I would stay I the van whilst she went in - she was in there about 90 minutes and I never saw a soul. When she got back I said I would nip in and just grab some wine.

I had just retrieved the trolley and entered the store when she rang in a panic as three of them were trying all the locker doors. They could see her but it was not a deterrent. I had to hoof it back (no wine for us coming home!) at which point they scarpered.

I'm afraid that will have to be the last time we go there. I'm surprised Carrefour don't put a security guard in the motorhome parking - they must be losing a packet in potential sales.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
It would be interesting to know how much revenue they’ve lost since banning mohos from overnighting there verses putting official security on (job creation👍) it would be a win win for us and the retailers👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back