Better storage is always welcome (1 Viewer)

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
My old Hymer sprinter contents used to rattle and shake until I found better ways of securing them, and this new (old) Hymer is no exception. Today I made a simple wooden stowage solution for the table: the one with folding legs that won't stay in the moulded grooves underneath...
A strip of maple stuck to the wardrobe floor, and a retaining lug at the top, keeps the table from rattling and the legs inside. It's tight against the shelves, so keeps their contents safe.
The redundant document case keeps the eezysteps out of the way, and a terry clip on the wall keeps Jan's new broom from flying away...:inlove:

20200624_164313.jpg

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
The problem you have is too much unused storage space so that there is room for everything to slide about and rattle. My top tip. Get a smaller van and then you don't need to secure anything, and you don't waste money on clips and fixings. You're just wedging it in. :)

I can't bear just wedging it all in. You can never get to anything without hauling a load of other stuff out! I like everything to have a place, together with all the other things I use with it. I'm prepared to invest in convenience (time and energy are often in quite limited supplies here! Also, I have most shocking memory, and find it impossible to remember what I've got, let alone where it is)

Did you not know of the maxim that 'Inventory expands to fill the space available'? It certainly applies to motorhomes and boats!

I certainly do. Although I do not believe the word used was 'inventory'!:LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can't bear just wedging it all in. You can never get to anything without hauling a load of other stuff out! I like everything to have a place, together with all the other things I use with it. I'm prepared to invest in convenience (time and energy are often in quite limited supplies here! Also, I have most shocking memory, and find it impossible to remember what I've got, let alone where it is)
Same here, I like stuff to have it's own home so that when it is needed we know where to find it ... trouble is with the Carthago there is so much storage space its very easy to forget where it's been lovingly placed! :giggle:

In order to mitigate this and to save emptying out lockers etc to discover that what we're looking for isn't where we thought it was we have a very extensive 'inventory' which we can scan to check where items 'should' be ... the only problem with this is when things aren't put back in their homes! :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
I just picked up some clear stackable storage boxes , as long as the garage is wide, labelled em and stuffed the stuff in .

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I'm sure the correct term is invantory. I agree with john good packing systems help dramatically juzt ramming stuff in is only viable if you have the space to lay stuff out to find what you want. We honed to a fine point in thd bongo. In the rapido we have lots more space but more to carry. Designed a shelf system that conxiders the location versus when its needed, eg the levelers are 1st out and last in. (Apart from ehu cable, utilizing the last inch of space)
The one problem ive had is not knowing the name of stuff when searching online, eg ive used plumbing pipe clips whereas tery clips may be available in more appropriate sizes another example is the old turnbuckle would never have guessed the name. The name of stuff can give no idea of what is is/ does, one example that defies this is "the really useful box".

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The one problem ive had is not knowing the name of stuff when searching online
My tip: just put your best guess at the simplest description into Google (eg. Clips) then switch to Images. There'll usually be the type you're looking for with it's correct name amongst the pics. Then you can search again with the correct name.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
My tip: just put your best guess at the simplest description into Google (eg. Clips) then switch to Images. There'll usually be the type you're looking for with it's correct name amongst the pics. Then you can search again with the correct name.
Best legal suggestion ive had in years.
Thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back