Bet this called for clean underwear - campervan spins around (1 Viewer)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Interesting the comments about too fast. Yes he was obviously going faster than the truck, who estimated 60-65mph, but even if he was doing 70, i.e. the legal limit on a motorway, who on here can REALLY say that they don't, or at least not usually, go that fast? I prefer to stay around 60mph but will admit to upping that to get past a truck or two in a line so that I'm impeding following traffic as little as possible.

50, 60, 70 or even 80, if a tyre lets go with a bang you're in the lap of the gods. Without any confirmation of what actually happened e.g. WAS it a blowout, I'll reserve judgement. No doubt if a puncture is ruled out the authorities will be taking a closer look at that van.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My two-penn'orth: The puncture caused the van to dip at the off-side rear. That caused the van to move towards the central reservation. The drivers over-correction (no criticism intended) in conjunction with the punctured tyre de-stabilised the vehicle causing the out-of-control swerve to the hard shoulder. It is extremely difficult, in a moment of crisis, to do nothing but that is invariably the best option. Any rapid control input to a vehicle that's already in an unstable condition will make things worse so a gentle and minimal correction to keep off the central reservation without changing speed or braking might have resulted in a different outcome.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
My two-penn'orth: The puncture caused the van to dip at the off-side rear. That caused the van to move towards the central reservation. The drivers over-correction (no criticism intended) in conjunction with the punctured tyre de-stabilised the vehicle causing the out-of-control swerve to the hard shoulder. It is extremely difficult, in a moment of crisis, to do nothing but that is invariably the best option. Any rapid control input to a vehicle that's already in an unstable condition will make things worse so a gentle and minimal correction to keep off the central reservation without changing speed or braking might have resulted in a different outcome.
Totally agree, that's what we were taught in our advanced coach driving lessons. But in real life unless you've practiced it and are always ready for it you stand little chance of remembering the correct response in the first few microseconds.

According to traffic police blowouts are the most common cause of vehicles losing control on the motorway. We've all surely seen vehicles of all sizes "parked in the central barrier or off the hard shoulder; the bigger they are it seems the worse it gets.

All we can do is check tyres regularly - at least weekly for a regularly used vehicle - and a quick visual check walk around before every trip.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Very glad it didn't turn out much worse for those in the motorhome and the other road users.
Makes me glad I changed all four tyres on my van when I started to notice some sidewall splits. They may have been fine for a few thousand more miles, but they may not. I preferred the peace of mind of changing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Totally agree, that's what we were taught in our advanced coach driving lessons. But in real life unless you've practiced it and are always ready for it you stand little chance of remembering the correct response in the first few microseconds.

According to traffic police blowouts are the most common cause of vehicles losing control on the motorway. We've all surely seen vehicles of all sizes "parked in the central barrier or off the hard shoulder; the bigger they are it seems the worse it gets.

All we can do is check tyres regularly - at least weekly for a regularly used vehicle - and a quick visual check walk around before every trip.
My reactions have always been so slow anyway that it works for me :giggle:. Back in the '60s I had the NS front wheel detach from an Austin J4 people carrier. I was flat out (at 65mph) at the time on the Ambleside to Windermere road. The van twitched, stayed in lane, then came to a standstill 150 yards from where it parted company with the wheel. It did steer but I didn't dare brake - as it was it lost about a third of the brake drum.

Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962
Years ago I had a Rear Blowout on The A1 northbound very scary not a lot of room to get off the carriageway then with not a lay-by in sight lucky that it was nearside as it was heavy heavy traffic. Now always check the sidewalls irrespective of the age of tyre. The annoying thing was that we were changing the van the next day for a new van, (I'll let you guess where we were heading!) cost us two new tyres.!!:cry:

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Scary

Unless a medical situation arose it must be one of three or all three

not paying attention

very badly loaded

TFF

Edit- just read blow out, so now down to TFF 🤔👍 he went past the lorry doing 56mph at quite a good few more MPH
Seems like inappropriate speed might be a possible cause as usual.

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
Seems like inappropriate speed might be a possible cause as usual.
There’s a thread about 50mph and the consequences of driving at a pace lower than HGV’s. Not wishing to throw fuel on the fire ( thread) I personally think it’s about a perception of risk and I keep a speed of 63 on the sat nav and I’m comfortable with that. Notwithstanding a blowout my risk management might be put in to question by SWMBO. I’m just saying(y)

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
If you know this road m40 j3 northbound is at the bottom of hills on both sides on that down side lorry’s regularly top 60. Even my empty 7.5 t lorry will pick up speed and exceed the limiter on that hill
Big climb on other side as well to get up. Just saying
Speed. Bow wave. Loading = ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oh I forgot, I once hit a car with my rear hangover in a fuel station, can you add it to the poll please.
Are we talking vehicle or human body? :imoutahere:

Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
I don't doubt a rear blow-out will cause more problems than one at the front but I don't understand the logic within the phrase I've quoted.
The tyre deflation causes the deflated wheel to rotate faster than the other rear wheel, causing a twisting effect. At speed it is significantly enhanced. We were informed this on Traffic Patrol Officers Courses and Accident Investigation Courses. I am not a scientist, just a retired cop!

Apr 5, 2018
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Imala 732
Exp
since 2011
At least this didn't seem to happen on a new "dumb" motorway with no hard shoulder. Coincidentally, I just changed my rear tyres as I noticed cracks in the sidewalls - original fit Michelin Agilis Camping, 10k miles and plenty of tread, but 5 years old. Now fitted Conti Vanco campers to match 2 on front replaced by the first owner last year ( I prefer Contis anyway from previous moho experience)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We were recently spun around whilst travelling at 64 mph,Its scary in a car let alone a motorhome. Just glad, they, like us are here to tell the tale.

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
I once had a front puncture on a Lamborghini going flat out. No real drama, Managed to get into a lay-by and shout for help:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back