Best winter route Calais to Ancona (1 Viewer)

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Advice please from experienced travellers.
What is the Best & Safest (preferably low toll cost) WINTER route from Calais to Ancona late December, with UK made 8m MoHo.
Thanks in advance.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
In ordinary times I would go Lille, Namur, Luxembourg, Saarland, bit of cross country to Mannheim and then cut through Switzerland exiting through St Gotthard tunnel down to Milan and then swing left to Ancona. You end up paying the Swiss toll which assuming you re over 3500kgs is 30 euros for any 10 days in a 12 month period, and then the Italian tolls which are cheap ( its the French ones and the tunnels that are the shockers). Top tip, is fill up in Luxembourg and try to avoid buying it in Italy and try not to get to Milan ring road ( think M25) at rush hour

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Having driven to Ancona several times, I totally agree with jongood (y)

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Thanks gus-lopez , I missed this.
We usually travel to Greece in April, back in July, back to Greece again late August and back to the U.K. late October, and haven’t done it in the depths of winter since having the motor home.
I would stick to the toll roads as they’ll be kept open. Calais to Mont Blanc tunnel (very loosely) via Reims, Dijon, Bourg en Bresse and Chamonix. From the Mb tunnel - Aosta, Alessandria, Piacenza, Parma, Bologna, Rimini, Ancona.
You’ll need snow tyres or chains, but make sure chains are the right size and you know how to put them on. We saw several motorists forced to abandon their vehicles in Italy a few years ago when the polizia stopped and checked every vehicle coming off the motorway during a heavy snowfall in March. Those without chains or the appropriate tyres weren’t allowed to proceed. Some were trying to put chains on and very obviously had no clue.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
In ordinary times I would go Lille, Namur, Luxembourg, Saarland, bit of cross country to Mannheim and then cut through Switzerland exiting through St Gotthard tunnel down to Milan and then swing left to Ancona. You end up paying the Swiss toll which assuming you re over 3500kgs is 30 euros for any 10 days in a 12 month period, and then the Italian tolls which are cheap ( its the French ones and the tunnels that are the shockers). Top tip, is fill up in Luxembourg and try to avoid buying it in Italy and try not to get to Milan ring road ( think M25) at rush hour
Thank you. MoHo 4.5Ton. At Corona time, I think will be complicated to cross 6 countries before Greece.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Thank you. MoHo 4.5Ton. At Corona time, I think will be complicated to cross 6 countries before Greece.
It will depend on several factors at the time of the journey. If it was me I would focus on the weather report because the EU are committed to keeping their open borders, and China bug could choose to strike at any, none or all of them.

This might help you decide what to aim for

Assuming you can get away with classe 2 the french toll from Calais to Chamonix is about 96 euros, the fee to get through the tunnel is 62 euros. Its substantially more if you are classe 3 ( no stickers for you)

If you fess up for 3500kgs+ at the border the toll through Switzerland is going to cost about 30 euros both ways.

I havent included the Italian bit because that will be similar. But should add that if you get it right you will save yourself a few bob by filling up in Luxembourg or Germany instead of France or Italy.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks gus-lopez , I missed this.
We usually travel to Greece in April, back in July, back to Greece again late August and back to the U.K. late October, and haven’t done it in the depths of winter since having the motor home.
I would stick to the toll roads as they’ll be kept open. Calais to Mont Blanc tunnel (very loosely) via Reims, Dijon, Bourg en Bresse and Chamonix. From the Mb tunnel - Aosta, Alessandria, Piacenza, Parma, Bologna, Rimini, Ancona.
You’ll need snow tyres or chains, but make sure chains are the right size and you know how to put them on. We saw several motorists forced to abandon their vehicles in Italy a few years ago when the polizia stopped and checked every vehicle coming off the motorway during a heavy snowfall in March. Those without chains or the appropriate tyres weren’t allowed to proceed. Some were trying to put chains on and very obviously had no clue.
Thank you. Will need the chains if tyres are All Season? Will need them if on motorway in Franc and Italy?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
This is more or less the same route I plan to use if ever we manage to get our twice now cancelled Greece trip in.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Will cross from France to Italy on the way to Ancona to catch the ferry to Greece.
Which crossing on 03/01/22 will be better and why
1) Chambery - Tunnel Du Frejus - Torino - Ancona
2) Chamonix - Tunnel Mont Blanc - Milano - Ancona

Thanks

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Mont Blanc Tunnel Tolls on the Italian side from 1st January 2021 (22% VAT included)
Vehicle TypeOne WayReturn
Cars€47.40€59.10
Motorbikes€31.40€39.40
Camping cars€62.70€78.80

• Informative
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Thanks. similar charge on both Tunnels
Will you definitely get away as class 2? The one and only time I went through the Mont Blanc Tunnel I think I remember having to argue for class 2 because of weight - we were under 3 metres but over 3500kgs at the time.

This may be interesting to regular travellers, the discount really surprised me

Abonnements pour les caravanes, grands utilitaires, campings-cars - Classe 2 :​

Abonnement 10 passages
<Broken link removed> 193,80 €

<Broken link removed> 197,00 €
Abonnement 20 passages
<Broken link removed> 271,30 €
<Broken link removed> 275,90 €
Valable 2 ans
en plus du mois de validation
Valable 2 ans
Economisez près de 70 % :
19,7 € au lieu de 62,70 € l'aller simple
Economisez près de 80 % :
13,79 € au lieu de 62,70 € l'aller simple

So if you buy 10 its effectively 20 euros/passage with 2 years plus the month you buy them in but it does say class 2.

• Informative
OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Will you definitely get away as class 2? The one and only time I went through the Mont Blanc Tunnel I think I remember having to argue for class 2 because of weight - we were under 3 metres but over 3500kgs at the time.

This may be interesting to regular travellers, the discount really surprised me

Abonnements pour les caravanes, grands utilitaires, campings-cars - Classe 2 :​

Abonnement 10 passages
<Broken link removed> 193,80 €

<Broken link removed> 197,00 €
Abonnement 20 passages
<Broken link removed> 271,30 €
<Broken link removed> 275,90 €
Valable 2 ans
Valable 2 ans
Economisez près de 70 % :
19,7 € au lieu de 62,70 € l'aller simple
Economisez près de 80 % :
13,79 € au lieu de 62,70 € l'aller simple

So if you buy 10 its effectively 20 euros/passage with 2 years plus the month you buy them in but it does say class 2.
Thanks. I don’t think that I will use 10 crossing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back