best site to book ferry or tunnel to france? (1 Viewer)

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
need to go to france
depart on thursday 29th about 20:00 or Friday 30th 06:30am
Have an event to go to in france
Return Sunday 22:30
The shorter time better
7.2m motorhome
Thanks
Jim

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
In my experience with ferries it's a toss up between the CCC's Carefree Travel Service (if you're a member) and going direct through either the P&O or DFDS website. It varies according to various things.

DFDS like motorhomes to be 7m max before they start charging more, but nobody stands on the ramp with a tape measure, so to my mind 7.2m is 7m rounded down :)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I checked to go 5th July on tunnel which was twice the cost ÂŁ240 against ÂŁ119 for ferry

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You're talking about June I assume?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
P&O Ferries. 08001300030(?direct tell them when and they will give you a price 7mts xHight they will ask. If it's just over 3mts call it 3mts

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I checked to go 5th July on tunnel which was twice the cost ÂŁ240 against ÂŁ119 for ferry

You have just reminded me to book the tunnel for our end of season jaunt in September /October.
The closer you book the travel dates the more expensive it becomes.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Just got ticket for ÂŁ134 for next bank Holliday Monday . Return but had to pay ÂŁ90 for 3 pets which is standard ÂŁ30 each ,pity they don't take turn at wheel lol. Enjoy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You have just reminded me to book the tunnel for our end of season jaunt in September /October.
The closer you book the travel dates the more expensive it becomes.
If you can find someone to share a frequent traveller account it would work out cheaper if you both want more than 1 return trip in the next 12 months (minimum of 10 single crossings).

OP
OP
JimboT

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for replies want to travel in day light if possible because they drive on the wrong side.
don't mine paying more if tunnel is 2 hours quicker and can save the time!
if you get the tunnel booked say 0700 friday morning want time do you have to book in??? before
thanks
Jim

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks for replies want to travel in day light if possible because they drive on the wrong side.
don't mine paying more if tunnel is 2 hours quicker and can save the time!
if you get the tunnel booked say 0700 friday morning want time do you have to book in??? before
thanks
Jim

You have to check in at the barriers no more than 2 hours and no less than 30 minutes before your scheduled crossing.

Unless it's quiet 30 minutes is pushing your luck to get through everything so I'd say an hour before just to be safe.

OP
OP
JimboT

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
You have to check in at the barriers no more than 2 hours and no less than 30 minutes before your scheduled crossing.

Unless it's quiet 30 minutes is pushing your luck to get through everything so I'd say an hour before just to be safe.
Thanks
Jim

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks
Jim

You can actually turn up as early as you like but if it's more than 2 hours before your scheduled time you won't be allowed to check in for that train.

You'll be offered some options of the next available trains to choose from. If those trains are the same price or cheaper than the one you're booked on you won't be charged any more. If the train you choose is more expensive than the one you originally booked you just pay the difference.

I think we've only travelled on the train we originally booked once or twice.

OP
OP
JimboT

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
booked tonight ÂŁ209 return on tunnel did not ask for any info on van booking online just reg details
just got to get all my lots passport numbers and details to book trip on second part and work out best route driving on wrong side of the road!
Jim

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

Thanks for the link.

I've just done a trial book booking a motor home and the toad as a trailer. It was the only option other than a caravan. As the car becomes a trailer when hooked to the car I assume this is correct ? Price was 228 travelling early evening.

Price is exactly half for just the van so ÂŁ124 for the trailer/ wee car.

If I book the car as a separate entity it's ÂŁ85. My wife cannot drive so I can't unhook and selerate them. Slightly strange charging policy ???

We intend to arrive and use an Aire.

Will we find one easy enough ? Or should we book a site. It will be just park up and crash then move south the next day.

28th August by the way.

Edit.
I just phoned Eurotunnel and questioned the pricing structure for a MH with a wee car. Pointing out that the price doubles as a consequence. I also explained why we cannot book the car on seperatly. Lady said she could see my point and advised me to Email Customer services. So I have addressed to the CS Manager. We will see.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Charlie - just go to Cite Europe for the night, easy to get to from the tunnel, about 5 mins max, well lit and shopping centre across the roadway so you can get some bits in the morning if you need to.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
@Charlie - just go to Cite Europe for the night, easy to get to from the tunnel, about 5 mins max, well lit and shopping centre across the roadway so you can get some bits in the morning if you need to.
Seconded(y) but if you want to find a bar and stuff gravelines, quarter of an hour up the road.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Right now this is just hypothetical so don't jump on me, right you can go to Calais on a day ticket with a car that is less than twenty quid , so if you got a mate to go over in your car, but then left it there and came back as a passenger, you pick the car up at cite Europe and away, you could even do it yourself the day before you go but would meen leaving your car unattended over night, which in itself is not really a problem as you could park it right outside the police station.
I know there is bound to be a fly in the ointment somewhere but worth thinking about.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Another vote for Cite Europe - especially if you're just off a late train. Its only a 5 minute drive from the train, and Carrefour opens at 9 the next morning so you can stock up before heading off. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@chaser - the day ticket won't work as you HAVE to bring the vehicle back otherwise they can charge you the much higher price for one-way car travel.

However, I'd be tempted to see how much it would be for the car to go across on it's own rather than as a trailer and see if it works out cheaper, in which case book 2 vehicles on the same crossing, one drives the car, one the camper, then meet up at the other side (this is of course assuming the car is A-framed rather than using a trailer!).

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
@chaser - the day ticket won't work as you HAVE to bring the vehicle back otherwise they can charge you the much higher price for one-way car travel.

However, I'd be tempted to see how much it would be for the car to go across on it's own rather than as a trailer and see if it works out cheaper, in which case book 2 vehicles on the same crossing, one drives the car, one the camper, then meet up at the other side (this is of course assuming the car is A-framed rather than using a trailer!).
Yes this is the obvious solution but he said his wife doesn't drive:(

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
IMG_0131.JPG

Thanks ... Sounds ideal for the first night after the initial longish travel....
Good hey?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Yes this is the obvious solution but he said his wife doesn't drive:(

Wife can only drive very short distances and only an automatic as she is unable to lift her left leg to depress the clutch. She has no strength in that leg so even if she could get her foot onto the pedal she would not be able to push the pedal down.

We tow a manual gearbox Toyota IQ.

Cheers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back