Best inverter, for little money? (1 Viewer)

Luke Coleman

Free Member
Apr 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Funsters,
Can anybody let me know, a good buy when it comes to a new inverter. I've just sent one back to Amazon as it just didn't charge up after 4 hours drive.
Admittedly I didn't pay a lot £70.00p. What's the best for the money. Any ideas please.
Luke.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Think you may have your terminology mixed up
inverters convert 12v to 240 v

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Maybe put a link to what you bought off Amazon . As Geo says that's not a description of an Inverter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Hi Luke,you need to rephrase and describe in more detail what you have actually purchased from amazon.an inverter converts 12 v to 240 v from a leisure battery ,usually you will need high amp batteries for this and a means of recharging them quickly with either a b2b charger whilst on the move or solar or hook up when static. (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Luke Coleman

Free Member
Apr 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
O.K. folks, I'm the fool that thought you just plug the invertor into the ciggy socket and "hey presto" hours drive later you can plug the T.V. in and watch. Mind I'm probably not the first or last to think this.
Thank you all for the facts of life.
The best is yet to come, Luke..

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
O.K. folks, I'm the fool that thought you just plug the invertor into the ciggy socket and "hey presto" hours drive later you can plug the T.V. in and watch. Mind I'm probably not the first or last to think this.
Thank you all for the facts of life.
The best is yet to come, Luke..
Thanks on the update, makes sense now. 👍😁

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Now it makes sense,You were gonna eat me wernt you.
Your not far off being right you plug the inverter into a ciggy socket and it will run your 240v tv.
You dont have to drivr anywhere for it to work but it will flatten your battery pretty quick
So i do see your logic in driving lol .

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
You can get what you mean, this link is one such inverter.

UKing Power Station 250W Power Generator 60000mAh Battery with Universal Plug for Camping Emergency Outdoor Power Supply
by U`King Light
Learn more: Amazon product ASIN B07XDH1MXJ

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I feel the term generator is somewhat misleading, this or similar units are nothing more than a means of storing energy from an external source. Given the size of the capacity you would be better off with a second battery and a 500 watt inverter. Remember you will use around 26 amps @ 12 volt d.c. to produce 1 amp @ 240 a.c. Allow for inefficiency and voltage drop. A new good quality 100 amp battery will only at best give you 50 amps usable power without shortening its service life.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I feel the term generator is somewhat misleading, this or similar units are nothing more than a means of storing energy from an external source. Given the size of the capacity you would be better off with a second battery and a 500 watt inverter. Remember you will use around 26 amps @ 12 volt d.c. to produce 1 amp @ 240 a.c. Allow for inefficiency and voltage drop. A new good quality 100 amp battery will only at best give you 50 amps usable power without shortening its service life.
No one has used the term generator?🤔

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
UKing Power Station 250W Power Generator 60000mAh Battery with Universal Plug for Camping Emergency Outdoor Power Supply
by U`King Light
Googlebot did mention the misleading term power generator as that is the term the manufacturers seem to use 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Terminology for many of these electrical devices is a problem. The ads are produced by marketing with little English and even less electrical background, using Google Translate if you are lucky. How would they know that a device that converts DC to AC is called an inverter. It won't be in the non-technical dictionaries. Some of these devices are so new there is simply no commonly accepted word for them anyway.

Then the advert algorithm cuts off the description if it's too long. A Beverage Cooler becomes a 'Beverage'. An Inverter Power Pack becomes an 'Inverter'. The internet is full of these ads. No wonder anyone new to the subject gets the terminology mixed up.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I was referring to Googlebot’s Amazon link. It clearly references their power unit a generator, if you can tell me how its generates power? That is what i was referring to not the OP post

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I was referring to Googlebot’s Amazon link. It clearly references their power unit a generator, if you can tell me how its generates power? That is what i was referring to not the OP post
The confusion is between the technical definition of generator as used by engineers, and the hand-waving use of generator as used by the rest of the world. This device is not a 'generator', ie a motor-powered alternator or dynamo. However it 'generates' electrical energy from chemical energy in a battery, in the hand-waving sense. If you're using Google Translate and your English is limited, this might not be obvious.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back