Bessacarr - any good or typically English? (1 Viewer)

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Hunting for our first motorhome and a Bessacarr E562 2012 has caught my eye, love the look of it and the layout, equipment level seems good with Alde heating and a massive fridge.

The big question, are they just a swift with a different badge or am I missing something and if they are, are swift of that era any good?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Maybe we should just go and look,

Get looking till you're almost driven crazy by it, look then look at some more. sit in-lie in; imagine living in... But don't worry where it's made just yet, it's the layout that is most important at this stage. Layout is the main reason why people sell their first (and often their second) van and invariably lose money when they do. Take your time, look in a lot, they all look the same at first but they are not, the layout inside changes considerably you just don't notice at first. After looking at a lot of vans it will become apparent what layout will suit you....then you can start looking at what maker can provide it and then looking at them and their dealers reputations. Best of luck . (y)

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Hunting for our first motorhome and a Bessacarr E562 2012 has caught my eye, love the look of it and the layout, equipment level seems good with Alde heating and a massive fridge.

The big question, are they just a swift with a different badge or am I missing something and if they are, are swift of that era any good?
Its a Swift with a different badge. Think Peugeot/Citroen.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
May be huge numbers when compared with other UK manufacturers but small when compared with the likes of Hymer and some other European manufacturers

The information may be a bit out of date now but Swift's factory used to build 90% caravans and 10% motorhomes (and now statics/lodges). The Swift Group Ltd's Accounts filed at Companies House don't reveal the actual numbers of caravans and motorhomes they manufacture and sell or the split in terms of turnover. However, the impression is still that Swift group is predominantly a caravan manufacturer.

Interestingly, the most recently available financial statements for y/e 31 August 2017 show an operating profit of £20.3 million on sales of £271.4 million.

In Note 13 is a provision of @£8.6 million for manufacturer's guarantees (effectively the estimated cost of honouring the 3 year product guarantees to customers). That is higher than the £8.5 million dividend paid to shareholders.

How does that provision compare to Swift's competitors? I don't know. It would take quite a lot of research. But it does seem quite high.

Based on those numbers, if I was a Director I would not be complacent about quality control and the cost of rectifying defects as an operating expense. I would want to improve production quality standards and instil a "right first time" attitude. That's my personal opinion.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Get looking till you're almost driven crazy by it, look then look at some more. sit in-lie in; imagine living in... But don't worry where it's made just yet, it's the layout that is most important at this stage. Layout is the main reason why people sell their first (and often their second) van and invariably lose money when they do. Take your time, look in a lot, they all look the same at first but they are not, the layout inside changes considerably you just don't notice at first. After looking at a lot of vans it will become apparent what layout will suit you....then you can start looking at what maker can provide it and then looking at them and their dealers reputations. Best of luck . (y)
......and real world payload. As I recall some of the Swift Bolero type vans (can’t remember the Bessacarr equivalent) had pretty poor payload. When you do find a van that you like, get the seller to stick it on a weighbridge front axle, rear axle and total weight

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
......and real world payload. As I recall some of the Swift Bolero type vans (can’t remember the Bessacarr equivalent) had pretty poor payload. When you do find a van that you like, get the seller to stick it on a weighbridge front axle, rear axle and total weight

And be there when it is done so that you can see the contents of fuel, fresh water and grey tanks, without having to take the seller's word for it.

After that you have to add on the weight of driver and any passengers.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years

Hi
We bought the same model a year ago. 2013 plate. We like it and the layout is perfect for us. Perhaps the previous owner had issues that were dealt with as we cannot fault it. The Alde system works well.
Send me a message if you want to ask anything..
Paul

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
They say 333kg but will be getting it checked as I know it’s gonna be tight whatever we get.
That is very low for two people, assuming that is the actual payload, which you often find is a work of fiction. I think that the European standard allows a deviation of up to 5% on the stated MIRO, which could see your payload almost halved. And even if the MIRO is as stated by the time you have added a few extras like awning, extra battery, solar etc as well as bikes, outdoor furniture BBQ etc it will be almost impossible to travel legally for any long period.

Have you got a C1 licence? If you have you can go for models over 3500kg or find out how to uprate the MGW beyond that figure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Agree with Jim above, make sure the layout suits your needs first otherwise even just the simple things like going to bed in the evenings can cause lots of unnecessary work and turn you into the many others looking to change quickly after purchasing their first Motorhome.

If - like many - you enjoy cooking and eating outside during the warm summer evenings look for a motorhome with some outside locker doors that will allow you to store that dirty BBQ and attachments under the beds without having to take the BBQ insidel. It’s those little extras that you will normally find on the Bessacarr range.

Good luck and whatever you drive - you will enjoy it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
we had a Bessacar e765 and kept it longer than any van we had. Loved the layout and very British with a microwave and a full oven. Went all over in it including several ski trips to the most cold temps ever. Only problems we had, were hab door fell of and the floor rotted away.. other than that it was brilliant. 2007 model btw..

would I have another, yes I would.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Went to see the MH yesterday, everything was really good, nice and clean and a massive history folder full of services and checks. Has a bbq point and also a small avtex tv which I wasn’t expecting. Deal was put together, £1000 off asking price and a bike rack included (normally £475)

BUT... 3 bits of damage to the interior that I’m not sure can be fixed without costing the earth.

1. Deep 7 inch scratch on stainless steel fridge door (the massive dometic one)

2. Dent on front/top corner trim of oven (this may be able to be removed and pushed out slightly so not too bothered about it)

3. Scratches/chips to wood effect on cupboard above bed (the rail that runs under them, not sure if I could touch them in with furniture repair pens)

Would that put you off?

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Went to see the MH yesterday, everything was really good, nice and clean and a massive history folder full of services and checks. Has a bbq point and also a small avtex tv which I wasn’t expecting. Deal was put together, £1000 off asking price and a bike rack included (normally £475)

BUT... 3 bits of damage to the interior that I’m not sure can be fixed without costing the earth.

2. Dent on front/top corner trim of oven (this may be able to be removed and pushed out slightly so not too bothered about it)

3. Scratches/chips to wood effect on cupboard above bed (the rail that runs under them, not sure if I could touch them in with furniture repair pens)

Would that put you off?
I think you can buy replacement decorative inserts for the fridge door, or you cut them yourself from formica laminate. @Terry may be able to advise you on that.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Would that put you off?

No wouldn't put me off provided there is no damp, no leaks, the floor hasn't got rotten areas and everything works.
You expect a bit of wear and tear on an old van, use it to negotiate or ask them if anything could be done.

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Be very open with the dealer and tell him / her that the three items above are stopping you from making the purchase and see what they come back with. The items required to rectify the problems will come to them at trade prices and they will know the best places to get them and normally dealers have fitters standing around between jobs so zero labour charges for them. Those who do not ask - don’t get. Good Luck.

Upvote 0

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Our first van was a Bessacarr E795 on a 2004 54 plate fiat ducato 2.8jtd engine "bomb proof engine", I loved it, we got it with 17k on the clock and sold it with 35k 2 years later, it never gave us any problems, it was a lovely van to tour in "NC500, 6 months around europe, it was extremely comfy. The only 1 thing I hated was the huge bed above the cab that acted as a huge sail in heavy wind, that's just the design in lots of brands tho. I'd certainly have another bessacarr but a low line.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back