LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Lots of fixed bed fans on here so if you were ordering from new would you delete the drop down bed in favour of full wrap around cupboards?

Martin
I wouldn't because even though we wouldn't use the drop down bed if we had a fixed bed, I think it might be a disadvantage not to have it when selling on, and to be honest we've never filled all the cupboards we have even in an 8 week trip, so more cupboards around the cab wouldn't be a necessity for us - but again - that's our personal choice (y)

frankw

Free Member
Dec 3, 2016
Funster No
Exp
As a newbie: first van is a '02 hymer l/star 640 bar layout/3 berth - I have the double pull down, companion has the bar lounge settee/single bed.

For my sins, am morbidly obese and regrettably, an elephant in a china-shop… but comfortable in the pull-down. Companion is a skinny and sleeps on the settee/bed with our two shivering iggys - happiness. At home, we all sleep in a custom 10 x 7 bed - I don't miss it in the van, which speaks volumes about the ol' hymer. Of course it's all a compromise... but I have a compact van that fits on my drive, plated at 4700kgs with approx 1300kgs payload and with the 185bhp remap cruises at 70+mph all day long, so we go places without frustration.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We already have a Campscout & I'd buy the trailer off you if only I had somewhere to store it. Nearly all our underbed storage is occupied by an electric wheelchair.

Should be ok. Even with 120kg of wheelchair in ours, we can pack for 6 weeks away & still be legal. And uprating a Campscout is only a paper exercise if your driving licence allows you to go over the 3500kg limit.
This is the trailer but with jockey wheel our son as asked for first refusal so if I do decide it's not needed I will give it to him but I know for a fact he will not look after it like I have done.
John.

https://towing-trailers.co.uk/images/IMG_2797.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is the trailer but with jockey wheel our son as asked for first refusal so if I do decide it's not needed I will give it to him but I know for a fact he will not look after it like I have done.
John.

https://towing-trailers.co.uk/images/IMG_2797.JPG
If you do let your son have it make him pay for it ... not that you want to I understand but it will probably make him think a bit more about looking after it if he's not just been given it.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
David grass and greener spring to mind:LOL: seriously though island beds do need quite a bit of extra van length unless there is a big compromise somewhere else. If you look at a Concorde or a Flair to twin singles from transvestite (transverse) adds 0.5 metre and going to island adds another 0.5 metre.

Our van was twin singles when we bought it but didn't like the loneliness of singles so converted it to a large transvestite, I never see it as wasted space as it has a large garage underneath(y)

Martin
im suprised you get any sleep with the large transvestite

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our drop down bed is used for storage of things like spare bedding and towels, but on a couple of occasions it has been used as a bed, and very comfortable it is too I have been told. Try putting up a visitor in a wrap around locker:)

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
I luv this site isent healthy that we all have opinions and are all different.
Can I ask one more thing thou because I think I got it that some like fixed beds but do those vans have nice size setties as well? I mean ones you can come in and put your feet up?
Yes a good nights sleep is very important but a nice size lounge is equally I would of thought?
I couldn't bear the thought of only being able to sit bolt upright in the diner area all the time!!!
Sooooo unless your going for 8mtr plus surly something has to give?
Can't imagine doing lanes of Padstow in long van like that just to have permanent bed?
It's great reading everyone's thoughts
Hi SJ, I reckon we have got it all - and in less than 6m. Our Benimar Mileo 201 has a full-sized, very comfy fixed bed across the back, giving a VERY roomy garage underneath, accessible from both sides of the van, superb kitchen and bathroom and a lounge area which, with the cab seats swivelled gives us both room to sit comfortably with our feet up or will seat five at the table. Oh yes, and we live in Cornwall and can confirm that the lanes of this lovely county are definitely do-able in our 5.99m van with a permanent bed. So 8m is not necessary to get a fixed bed and comfortable seating. Hope this has answered some of your queries.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last Hymer had a French bed it was 7' long never even noticed the cut off corner, must have been the right choice as we kept it nearly six years. Current one has twin singles at the rear and drop down double at the front, must have got that right as well, as the new one we pick up next week has twin singles. Only used the drop down bed a couple of times, find it useful for cross season trips where you need winter & summer clothes put the spare clothes up there.

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
My favourite layout was on our Autotrail Savannah which had 2 fixed singles at the back and 2 sofas at the front with a small round table on a boom which we could swing out and eat our meals off without havng to put a table up each time.

I think I looked at one of these at Johns Cross last weekend. I liked this layout a lot actually.
Having looked at all the others at JCs with fixed bed I wasnt impressed with any of them. Just too small for me. So far on reflection I think I have made the right choice with a rear lounge / bed set up.

Some interesting thoughts from you all though.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Lots of fixed bed fans on here so if you were ordering from new would you delete the drop down bed in favour of full wrap around cupboards?

Martin

Yes. For years dealers had persuaded us to keep the drop-down bed “to avoid affecting the resale value” but this time round we decided that we knew what we wanted and told them so. We now have more headroom, more light, and saved 40Kg of weight.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes. For years dealers had persuaded us to keep the drop-down bed “to avoid affecting the resale value” but this time round we decided that we knew what we wanted and told them so. We now have more headroom, more light, and saved 40Kg of weight.

And when the time comes to sell your USP will be that it doesn't have the bed and will be snapped up by somebody who wants the same.

Martin

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
I luv this site isent healthy that we all have opinions and are all different.
Can I ask one more thing thou because I think I got it that some like fixed beds but do those vans have nice size setties as well? I mean ones you can come in and put your feet up?
Yes a good nights sleep is very important but a nice size lounge is equally I would of thought?
I couldn't bear the thought of only being able to sit bolt upright in the diner area all the time!!!
Sooooo unless your going for 8mtr plus surly something has to give?
Can't imagine doing lanes of Padstow in long van like that just to have permanent bed?
It's great reading everyone's thoughts
We have a 6 metre Starspirit with end lounge/bedroom. We use it as 2 singles, the beds are always made up and I put a fitted sheet over the top so we can use it as a bench seat and stretch out. When it's bed time, switch off the electric blanket, fold back the duvet and into bed in seconds.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We have a Chausson allegro 97. This has a transverse island bed. We had a list of needs and would likes when buying. Before buying we rented a few different layouts. The island bed was a need and didn't mind losing living space. I spend about 8hrs out of 24 in bed. We have now had this van just over 2 years and have no plans to change. Neither of us wanted to have to make up the bed every night. There has been plenty of living space even on multi month trips.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
IMG_0516.JPG

Our Globecar Campscout 6.36 metres has a fixed bed in the rear 2metres x 1900 metres.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I flatly refused to make up beds on a daily basis.....so we have a fixed French bed at the rear and a drop down one at the front. One each. Win, win. Both comfortable, both with easy access for the loo. Both means we can read in the night without disturbing the other and one available for nookie when desire!! Win, win, win! (y)

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
We started with a 7.4m Autotrail Cheyenne with twin singles, big bathroom across the back and a bed that could be made up from cushions in the lounge. The singles were just too narrow at 2' 3", but the front bed was lumpy and uncomfortable. We bought a memory foam mattress, but it was a pain to store during the day.
Changing to a Bailey caravan we had a French Bed but ended up with one in the bed and one on a lumpy made up bed in the front. Fail!
The trend in new MH's seems to be towards Island beds and twin singles, that can be joined to form a huge double, at the rear over a large garage. For the best of both worlds we now have a nice large garage and large twin singles above (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our first Hymer had a French bed never even used to notice the cut off corner either of us could sleep that side without a problem, it was a reasonable size over 7 foot long and it was only a 6.79m van so it can be done.
Last van and the new one both twin singles, we would never consider a van without fixed bed & table, Aguti captains seats & a garage. most of the time spent in the van is either in the bed or cab seats so they need to be good.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
A bit different for us as we have an RV but ours is a little one at 28ft. The great thing is the bed is the majic bed that drops down from the ceiling above the living space. Its a full kingsize too and can be left fully made up. We can also get in/out either side and it can be dropped low enough to get onto without steps if we don't use the sofa bed below which is rare as the kids don't travel with us anymore.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Has anyone bought a MoHo with a particular bed configuration and then regretted it ?

We have a U lounge witch turns into a big double bed. Sometimes I think it would be nice just to have a bed set aside but then thats just wasted space during the day !

One thing that put me off a fixed bed is the size. They all seem a bit small. Im 6ft and really need to stretch out. Pretty much all of the vans we looked at before we bought ours had my feet dangling off the edge of that annoying cut off section !

I am 6 ft also and cuddling up seemed to solve the dangly leg problem.:sneaky:
Seriously after changing from our fixed bed,to our all singing all dancing electric drop down bed I really don't like it as much.
I am a little concerned when it's down it blocks the habitation door and if the captains chairs are swivelled it's difficult to get out of the front doors if partner is sleeping.Also in our van Andrea can't get out of bed unless I get out or scrunch my legs right up.
Some things you don't find until you start using the van in earnest,

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We used to have a french bed with a cutout in our old van I am 6' 2 she is 5' 0 guess who got the cut off side never had a problem with it

Joe

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We originally bough a 686 rear lounge, overcab and dinette bed, all of which got used at various times. Plan was to leave u shaped lounge made up as a bed if we got fed up making it up.
Than we met @bigtree with a ktm 690 in a garage. now down to two high beds, one each so John can starfish on CPAP.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
now down to two high beds, one each so John can starfish on CPAP.
I know what a CPAP is but what is the 'starfish' that he does on it???? :Eeek:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ill give you a laugh. Not to do with MoHo beds but similar experience getting out of a small bed over a 'partner'

When I was going out with the wife her parents wouldnt let us sleep together. The then girlfriend took the sofa and I took her bed when I was staying over. Her dad, a big ex navy geordie fella used to love a booze up but trouble was he was always getting lost when he boozed ! One weekend when I was staying over I was in the girlfriend's bed asleep when I was woken through the night with the door opening.

I thought it was the GF coming in for a bit of late night in and out. As the duvet pulled back I realised in horror that it was the GFs dad getting into the bed, still pissed !! He was as naked as the day as he was born and what made it worse, so was I !!

Her bed was against a wall so I had no escape as he settled down and thrust his bum into what I suppose he thought was his wife, hoping for a snuggle !!

I lay in shock for a moment but obviously then realised I had to get out. He was a big fella and the only way out was over the top of him. Tried as I might I couldn't help drag my meat and two veg across his body as I clambered out :cry:

It was a horrific experience and it haunts me to this day, thirty years later :D2
Lucky he didn't wake up half way over!!!!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The layout that I think is going to catch on is the rear lounge drop doiwn bed loke in the mobilvetta k yacht looks a good compromise also now in the bennimar and pilote.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I assumed the starfish was his favoured sleeping position when he's blissfully fast asleep on his CPAP machine. I bet it's difficult to get all curled up, eg into the foetal position with your chin on your chest, once you're attached and running.

Gary McCusker

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
A class, drop down bed, perfect for me , still leaves a roomy interior

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Why not just leave the rear lounge made up as a bed and see how you get on with it like that, you may find that you 'miss' having the rear lounge to sit in and then it would confirm that you HAVE got the right layout for your for now. Better to have a 'pretend' rear bed before changing to one and then regretting it!
Having a fixed rear bed gave greater boot capacity than the rear lounger version in our Hymer S700. A friend had the Rear Lounge version but left it made up. Lots of loose items then shoved under the bed. The mattress (2) were better than the mix of cushions to make up a bed. I found the vans bed much more comfortable than any other bed since then.

Use the drop down bed up front as storage or for guests.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We very nearly bought a van with a rear lounge as I love the space and comfort of it but we then either had to make up the bed everyday, have an overcab bed or drop down bed and that was more of a no no for us. Ended up with a fixed rear bed, French style, which is the same as our caravan was and really comfortable for us. I sleep on the curved short side as I curl up and am only short anyway.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
We have a Moncayo Silver 775 which has a rear bed east to west over the rear trunk. I'm 5'11" and have plenty of room. We do have to climb up a ladder which slides under the bed when not in use. Its great fun when the wife has to climb over you to get to her spot but does give us plenty of room and a large trunk where we can carry a motor scooter. We are both fully mobile so it doesn't give us any problems at the moment, but less mobile people might have a problem. One thing I like about our layout is we can sleep with the windows open and not worry too much about people trying to climb in. It seems to give us a bit more security. We have a small dog who sleeps at the bottom of the bed and any sign of trouble he raises the alarm by coming up between us and nearly sits on my head.
27612503821_2850bf26fd_o.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back