EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Has anyone bought a MoHo with a particular bed configuration and then regretted it ?

We have a U lounge witch turns into a big double bed. Sometimes I think it would be nice just to have a bed set aside but then thats just wasted space during the day !

One thing that put me off a fixed bed is the size. They all seem a bit small. Im 6ft and really need to stretch out. Pretty much all of the vans we looked at before we bought ours had my feet dangling off the edge of that annoying cut off section !

Sep 11, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
we have a u shape lounge and just have used it as single beds , less hassle .takes less space up. When we had a caravan we had a double and I slept near the window it was a pain climbing over OH to get out.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I definitely wish we had stuck with plan A and bought a MH with an island bed as we set out to do

I don't mind the space taken up by a fixed bed, but we ended up with a high level transverse, plenty big enough, 2.1 long 1.4 wide, but getting on and off the high level aspect plus climbing over each other is the nuisance

But we did have a corner French bed on the last with the cut off, an island technically could be even worse for me at over 6', hadn't really though of that negative aspect

so looks like when we do change to the island option I will regret that as well o_O

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Yes, we have used used ours as singles a few times too. When made up its massive but the clamber over the misses to go to the loo is a pain.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Having to constantly change things into other things in our old VW Kombi led us to go for fixed beds in our first MH, but we opted for overcab. That's now become too much of a faff so the next MH has a fixed rear bed over a large boot, which suits us. I don't consider a bed to be wasted space if we can sit up at a table somewhere else. Swivel chairs in the cab are the great space saver.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
No regrets with our Burstner Ixeo 680g, best of both words.

Very often when coming away from shows both my wife and I say that we made the right choice as we didn't see anything else that we would prefer. However, the exception to this was taking a look at the Frankia I 740 plus following a thread recently posted by @The Dude and we concluded this could be a possible replacement in a few years time as the layout seems to be an excellent use of space.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Yes!!
We had supposedly 3 berth Autotrial with French bed, horrendous never again lost a lot of money, bed is only suitable for one because of cutoff.
We take tape measure now if we're looking at vans, some beds cut off earlier than others but all corner beds cut off, same as those new all round beds, be very careful there due to both corner cut offs.
We have swift bolero and it takes us 2 minutes to make bed up to huge king size, best bed we have had, I still can't see why I would but huge motor home to carry bed around all day?
Suppose it's better than carrying around huge bathroom! Least your in your bed for 8hrs rather than shower for 8mins.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Our next motorhome a Globecar Campscout is advertised as the largest beds in the industry, 2000mm x 2000mm and all that storage below and I will be able to sell our trailer.

John.

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Having (a long time ago) caravanned with my parents and having to go through the nightly ritual of making the beds up, when we came to motorhoming we knew we wanted a fixed bed of some description.
We hired a French bed van for a week and the inadequacies of this led us to settle on an island bed.
I am 6ft and the bed in our Auto-trail Delaware is certainly long enough and is actually one of the most comfortable I have slept on.

What suits 1 will not suit another but a bit of early research/trial before buying certainly stood us in good stead.
Regards to all.
Nik.

PS.
I do believe the latest term for an 'Island' bed is now a 'Peninsular' bed!! ours certainly is.

Reactions: SMB

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The main benefit of a purpose-built bed is that you will sleep better on it (so long as it’s big enough) because the cushions/mattress do not need to be a compromise. Fixed beds do take up space, though, even the drop-down variety. One solution is to stick them over a commodious garage. As you get older (regular) access becomes a significant consideration and is best if that does not require clambering over a partner and/or using a ladder.

I think the most practical solution is twin singles.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have a u shaped lounge in ours , but leave it as a double bed, and just sit on it in the day, with a loose table, works for us, as most of the time we only need the van for sleeping , out and about most days.
If we really do need it as a lounge we just roll the duvets up and posh the seat back , maybe 5 minutes at the most(y):)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Has anyone bought a MoHo with a particular bed configuration and then regretted it ?

Most everyone, more than once ;). A layout that does not suit is the number one reason people give for changing, and it seem plenty of people change few times till they get it right (y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We bought our latest m/h especially because of the fixed bed. Mrs Maison has had bilateral knee replacement and, because she is not allowed to kneel, we found having to struggle to make up a bed each evening was too much of a struggle.

We have a front dinette with swivel cab seats so have plenty of lounging room too.

We find this layout suits us to a T.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Have had several vans over the years and know that for me a fixed bed is an essential. I know a lot of people think of it as a waste of space but if you are hoping to spend up to 8 hours at a time in it I think it is imperative that you are comfortable. The introduction of fixed beds in PVC's has been great and I for one love my version. The added bonus with them in PVC's is the underbed storage. I appreciate however that the French style beds with the cutaways can be an issue but for me and my mut it is perfect.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why not just leave the rear lounge made up as a bed and see how you get on with it like that, you may find that you 'miss' having the rear lounge to sit in and then it would confirm that you HAVE got the right layout for your for now. Better to have a 'pretend' rear bed before changing to one and then regretting it!

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
But it is quite good fun having to clamber over your bedmate....;);)

I sleep on the inside and have to clamber at least once a night over my husband - he always say Helloooo in a really dirty way , which then gives me the giggles which makes it even more difficult to do

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a transverse fixed bed in our Globecar and it's very comfy and gives us oodles of storage space underneath for our inflatable canoes, paddles and other required kit plus bikes, levellers, spare toilet cassette, etc, etc ... if we didn't have this space to put it all we couldn't take it!

Regardless of the storage we don't view the bed itself as wasted though as it is doubles up as another lounging area which is great, having a van with just one 'room' simply would not suit us at all.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have tried and tested 3 versions ..

Swift 712 SB which has a rear washroom etc and two single side beds. Aldi heating under one bed made it very very hot and unable to use so resorted to using the front pull out bed which had to be made every time. What a pain and not very comfortable. Also the seats were to high which meant SWMBO sitting with legs dangling.

Next was a Pilote 716 with french bed and an electric bed over the seating area. Plenty of room with one bed each but the electric bed was unreliable and would jam on the way up / down or just not come down at all. Having a decent bed for a good nights sleep is vital to your enjoyment. After sleeping on the floor for two weeks because the bed jammed and no one could fix it we decided enough was enough. According to the Dealer the reason the bed did not always work was because the MH was not completely flat. They did ask where we were parked once and the phone went very quiet when I said in a car park.

Laika 712 A Class. Best of both worlds. Its got a large island bed and a front pulldown bed over the cab seats ( None Electric )

As you get older the last thing you need is disturbed sleep. Trying to climb over someone and beds that do not have proper mattresses just make for uncomfortable nights. Both of us toss and turn during the night so it's really nice to have your own space.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Oh yes and we have an auto trail scout it's a U shaped lounge- lasted one week making it up and sleeping on lumpy matteress. We bought a memory foam and have it made up permanently now (has a seated dinning area). Think we sleep better in that bed than at home now! Getting older now so next layout will probally be the a large island bed to make it easier to get in and out (although I will miss the OH dirty suggestions)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
When we bought ours it had an overcab bed. "No way are we sleeping up there," we agreed. Well we tried it just for a laugh. We haven't slept anywhere else since! A lovely big comfortable bed with plenty of room to move :winky:. Yes there are five steps to get up/down but we have 13 at home. No making the bed and stowing the bedding. Just tilt the edge and it's out of sight and drop it down and it's ready instantly.

Wyn

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Why not just leave the rear lounge made up as a bed and see how you get on with it like that, you may find that you 'miss' having the rear lounge to sit in and then it would confirm that you HAVE got the right layout for your for now. Better to have a 'pretend' rear bed before changing to one and then regretting it!
That's exactly what we did before making the swap. Good advice.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We had caravans for 13 years, which required beds to be made up each night - and they were none too comfy then.

These days getting a good night's sleep is one of the most important things to us, and not always easy as we get older. So the three MHs we've owned have all had fixed beds - first 2 were French beds, but we now believe we've got the perfect arrangement - for us - with large fixed twin beds in the back of our van conversion. Super comfy, with memory foam toppers etc and no packing bedding away during the day. Bliss.

And Mrs mikebeaches likes reading on or in her bed, and I tend to use one of the cab seats for relaxing at the table in the dinette for reading and using the computer etc.

Works a treat.

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Ill give you a laugh. Not to do with MoHo beds but similar experience getting out of a small bed over a 'partner'

When I was going out with the wife her parents wouldnt let us sleep together. The then girlfriend took the sofa and I took her bed when I was staying over. Her dad, a big ex navy geordie fella used to love a booze up but trouble was he was always getting lost when he boozed ! One weekend when I was staying over I was in the girlfriend's bed asleep when I was woken through the night with the door opening.

I thought it was the GF coming in for a bit of late night in and out. As the duvet pulled back I realised in horror that it was the GFs dad getting into the bed, still pissed !! He was as naked as the day as he was born and what made it worse, so was I !!

Her bed was against a wall so I had no escape as he settled down and thrust his bum into what I suppose he thought was his wife, hoping for a snuggle !!

I lay in shock for a moment but obviously then realised I had to get out. He was a big fella and the only way out was over the top of him. Tried as I might I couldn't help drag my meat and two veg across his body as I clambered out :cry:

It was a horrific experience and it haunts me to this day, thirty years later :D2

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Ill give you a laugh. Not to do with MoHo beds but similar experience getting out of a small bed over a 'partner'

When I was going out with the wife her parents wouldnt let us sleep together. The then girlfriend took the sofa and I took her bed when I was staying over. Her dad, a big ex navy geordie fella used to love a booze up but trouble was he was always getting lost when he boozed ! One weekend when I was staying over I was in the girlfriend's bed asleep when I was woken through the night with the door opening.

I thought it was the GF coming in for a bit of late night in and out. As the duvet pulled back I realised in horror that it was the GFs dad getting into the bed, still pissed !! He was as naked as the day as he was born and what made it worse, so was I !!

Her bed was against a wall so I had no escape as he settled down and thrust his bum into what I suppose he thought was his wife, hoping for a snuggle !!

I lay in shock for a moment but obviously then realised I had to get out. He was a big fella and the only way out was over the top of him. Tried as I might I couldn't help drag my meat and two veg across his body as I clambered out :cry:

It was a horrific experience and it haunts me to this day, thirty years later :D2

Just why did your GF get the sofa and you her comfy bed? I'm surprised she still married you!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Is that why you moved South "the shame the shame"

Martin

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
ours is a nice large bed,fixed of course.
more than enough room for the 2 of us. bed.JPG

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Only ever had one van that we had too make up the beds and it didn't reign long, bugger that malarkey every night it's not as if they're even comfortable. Fixed bed every time for us, current one is over a big garage that carries our motorbike. Definitely not a waste of space I'm 6'2" and can stretch out in it easily and it's the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on.
If I want to rough it on made up beds I use my tent on motorbike trips.:)
Can't imagine paying all that money for a motorhome and not having a proper bed:eek::eek:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I definitely wish we had stuck with plan A and bought a MH with an island bed as we set out to do

I don't mind the space taken up by a fixed bed, but we ended up with a high level transverse, plenty big enough, 2.1 long 1.4 wide, but getting on and off the high level aspect plus climbing over each other is the nuisance

But we did have a corner French bed on the last with the cut off, an island technically could be even worse for me at over 6', hadn't really though of that negative aspect

so looks like when we do change to the island option I will regret that as well o_O
David grass and greener spring to mind:LOL: seriously though island beds do need quite a bit of extra van length unless there is a big compromise somewhere else. If you look at a Concorde or a Flair to twin singles from transvestite (transverse) adds 0.5 metre and going to island adds another 0.5 metre.

Our van was twin singles when we bought it but didn't like the loneliness of singles so converted it to a large transvestite, I never see it as wasted space as it has a large garage underneath(y)

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back