LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
I will firstly admit to being very ignorant regarding power systems and how they work! I have two leisure batteries and two solar panels (100w and 120w). Unfortunately, the cost of an inverter and having it fitted is not in my budget at the moment.

Gas can be used for cooking, the boiler and fridge and I have diesel heating, plus the TV can run off 12v.

As I still work, I like to record some TV programs. Is there a 12v option for a Humax box to record, or another way of recording (if so, how?). My biggest issue is charging electricals such as iPhone, MacBook Pro, camera type battery etc. I cannot get a 12v charger for the MacBook. I do have an external charger, but that itself needs EHU to charge again once used.

Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
Regarding Humax boxes. our later version is actually running on 12v via a main transformer so could be connected to 12v van supply via a supply regulator. Also depending on your MacBook if the power is usbc then you can plug-in to 12v via suitably powerful usb cigarette lighter adapter. Alternatively this size of inverter also works for us. Amazon product ASIN B076P9PGX3

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Ann leaves the box at home to record her usual programmes and binges when she gets home 👍 much easier.

New TVs will play video formats AVI, MP4 and MKV straight off a memory stick if you want to take something to watch.

Leave the computer at home and use smartphones, you're on holiday 🤩

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
A small inverter is not expensive. I have a 700watt pure sine wave one from TLC electrical factors (nationwide) it cost just over £100. Very simple to install, just two cables direct from the leisure battery. It has one 240v outlet. Perfect for charging stuff ...and hair straighteners 😉
Edit 600w not 700w

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
A small inverter is not expensive. I have a 700watt pure sine wave one from TLC electrical factors (nationwide) it cost just over £100. Very simple to install, just two cables direct from the leisure battery. It has one 240v outlet. Perfect for charging stuff ...and hair straighteners 😉
Edit 600w not 700w

Power hungry though 😉😊

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
My biggest issue is charging electricals such as iPhone, MacBook Pro, camera type battery etc. I cannot get a 12v charger for the MacBook.
All these items are 100W or less. You could buy a small 150W Pure Sine Wave inverter. The power is small enough to run from a cigarette-lighter socket if you want. Pure Sine Wave is the best type, with a wave just the same as a wall socket at home. Avoid Modified Sine Wave or Quasi Sine Wave types, which are a bit cheaper but can cause problems. If it doesn't actually say Pure Sine Wave on the box, it will be one of the other types.

Get an inverter that's just big enough to do the job. It's tempting to buy a bigger one just in case you want to use a higher power device, but higher power has a downside. Anything bigger than 150W needs connecting direct to the battery via a fuse. High power inverters need thick wires and a substantial fuse.

It's best to only connect an inverter when it's actually being used - it has a background drain which can be quite large for a high power inverter.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We watch our TV via a tablet and bluetooth speaker despite having a satellite system and a fitted TV. I don't honestly don't think a TV will be fitted to any future motorhomes.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The latest Apple batteries have 100Wh capacity. They may only require 95W to charge but that’s going to be an hour to do so (at 8A). Running a large screen laptop consumes a lot of power (just feel the heat coming from it).

A big laptop may take 8Ah/day from your 12V supply and that can be a significant amount of your modest battery capacity. Solar power may replenish that for you, but there will be more important demands on your batteries to consider. If you need such electronics, I’d look for a solution with a smaller screen (lower consumption) and you may well then find that there’s a 12V supply available for it too.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The latest Apple batteries have 100Wh capacity. They may only require 95W to charge but that’s going to be an hour to do so (at 8A). Running a large screen laptop consumes a lot of power (just feel the heat coming from it).

A big laptop may take 8Ah/day from your 12V supply and that can be a significant amount of your modest battery capacity. Solar power may replenish that for you, but there will be more important demands on your batteries to consider. If you need such electronics, I’d look for a solution with a smaller screen (lower consumption) and you may well then find that there’s a 12V supply available for it too.
That's all very well, but if the OP has a Macbook Pro and a camera battery charger, processing photos and videos is probably one of the reasons for being out in the MH in the first place. 8Ah per day is not a huge amount, and 220W of solar power should provide over 50Ah per day even in less than optimum sunshine, so it's a reasonable percentage to devote to your hobby.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have a similar set up to you with the addition of this:
https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/product/sterling-power-pure-sine-wave-inverter-12v-300w-sib12300/
This supplies my laptop, phones, electric toothbrush and other devices including this :
https://refreshcartridges.co.uk/sumvision-primus2-2tb/
With this I download films, box sets, all sorts of media at home then use this on my TV when away.

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Thank you to all, some good suggestions to think about, much appreciated.

Reactions: two

Deleted User
We use catch up on ipad to keep up-to-date if theres something interesting to watch.

Also consideration a generator ? Depends where you pitch up, and the noise, alot of RVs use gennies.

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
What do you use to charge the MacBook? I have a 16” 2020 MacBook Pro. Most of the 12v chargers I have seen are for the MacBook Air.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
What do you use to charge the MacBook? I have a 16” 2020 MacBook Pro. Most of the 12v chargers I have seen are for the MacBook Air.

Good question

It’s around 5 or 6 years old and around 20”
It’s got the magnetic connection

I got a charger off the internet, I think it came from America.

Around £30

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Back to the original question about a humax box, we use a humax freesat box directly connected to 12v, worked perfectly for 2+ years.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I will firstly admit to being very ignorant regarding power systems and how they work! I have two leisure batteries and two solar panels (100w and 120w). Unfortunately, the cost of an inverter and having it fitted is not in my budget at the moment.

Gas can be used for cooking, the boiler and fridge and I have diesel heating, plus the TV can run off 12v.

As I still work, I like to record some TV programs. Is there a 12v option for a Humax box to record, or another way of recording (if so, how?). My biggest issue is charging electricals such as iPhone, MacBook Pro, camera type battery etc. I cannot get a 12v charger for the MacBook. I do have an external charger, but that itself needs EHU to charge again once used.

Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated, thanks.
I have a 12v charger for my MacBook… not apple, but a high quality product. Will dig out details if you’re interested?

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Thanks, that would be helpful.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you want a 12V charger with mag connect, I have one I don't use now (because newer ones require USB-C).
Used it with a 17" MBP.

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Thank you but mine also needs USB-C.

May 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail F70
In fact I am today adding an extra 12v socket into the van specifically for this charger, as it’s become such an important part of the van equipment. I’ve also added a USB C power point for charging the iPad next to it.

OP
OP
faraway

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Many thanks, I’ve ordered one and have a spare 12v socket available.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
USB-C is interesting (not that I know a great deal about it).
Power may be supplied at 5V, 12V, or 20V, the greatest power being available at 20V, with a maximum of 5A (the cables and connections cannot take more).
The voltage used is decided between the devices when first connected together and depends on what the supply can provide and the device is able to consume.
If the supply is 'simple' it may be that it cannot provide 20V, so is limited to 12V and a lower Wattage (up to 60W if 5A charging is possible). That just means that a connected device might only charge slowly if it needs more or even not at all if its consuming at a faster rate than provided. I think the USB supply in my car may be limited to 5V (the traditional USB voltage) because my phone barely charges at all if I have it on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back