Battery Vent on Banner Battery? (1 Viewer)

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Hi all

Checking out my battery install I see that a vent pipe has not been fitted on my Banner 100Ah battery.

So I will fit one but notice that the vent hole has something already in it but I’m not sure if that is a plug or a pressure release valve that the vent hose and fitting will clip over??

So the questions is - do I remove the central “plug” from the hole (as shown in pic) or do I fit the Banner vent fitting over it?
2AFEA470-A3A3-463E-9574-13CC8F1765CB.jpeg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Its the small hole with what looks like a flat screw slot in it, approx centre of the picture.View attachment 402636
That appears to be a split post used to retain the cover. It is definitely a fastener and not a breather or vent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ShaKen

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
That appears to be a split post used to retain the cover. It is definitely a fastener and not a breather or vent.

I disagree, I believe that that is the vent.

In fact Tanya batteries specifically show the vent on their website -https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/banner/95751/

Here’s the pic of the close up on their website.

1E67FB92-0D21-4128-B479-1DCD7B7BB3AE.png

And as for whether a vent should be fitted, Banner (on their website) say “Yes - always when fitted inside a vehicle”

Attachments

• 3FCB8764-6DC0-4D99-8F01-004836338AF9.jpeg
    3FCB8764-6DC0-4D99-8F01-004836338AF9.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 24

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think that is going to be the vent hole but not sure how it works, it might become clear when you buy the dedicated Banner vent tube,

Don't know if any of this helps as they mention a white plug but not on a all batteries and they don't mention "running bull" specifically which I guess is what you have,

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The last few batteries we have had from alpha batteries have not had a vent hole although there is mention of them on the website, but only on tractors so makes no odds.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
The part number denotes an Energy Bull battery. If it is an AGM battery then it is spill proof, and no vent is required. However, the blurb doesn't say what it is...

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShaKen

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Ok problem solved - spoke to a battery dealer and they advised....

Yes - that is the vent hole
No - don’t remove the plug as it is a special valve; the vent fitting pushes over it into the hole.

FYI - This is for a Banner 95751 “Energy Bull” Leisure Battery.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Hi all

Checking out my battery install I see that a vent pipe has not been fitted on my Banner 100Ah battery.

So I will fit one but notice that the vent hole has something already in it but I’m not sure if that is a plug or a pressure release valve that the vent hose and fitting will clip over??

So the questions is - do I remove the central “plug” from the hole (as shown in pic) or do I fit the Banner vent fitting over it?
EDIT From the Banner website: this answers the OP's question unequivocally and the dealer is not quite correct....in fact it is complete tosh!
NO VENT TUBE REQUIRED!

Do I need to put a venting tube on my battery?
A) A vent pipe is used to clear gases away from a battery so that they vent externally. “Energy Bull” batteries don’t need to do this as they are “recombination batteries” and gas internally. A normally operated battery has no need to be vented under normal circumstances. If however there is an electrical fault or an imbalance on the charging system some manufacturers prefer to have the battery ' vented ' as an extra safety feature and vent pipes are available from RoadPro to fit the “Energy Bull” range. The boiling / gassing point of a Banner Energy Bull battery is 14.5V.

OP
OP
ShaKen

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
EDIT From the Banner website: this answers the OP's question unequivocally and the dealer is not quite correct....in fact it is complete tosh!
NO VENT TUBE REQUIRED!

A) A vent pipe is used to clear gases away from a battery so that they vent externally. “Energy Bull” batteries don’t need to do this as they are “recombination batteries” and gas internally. A normally operated battery has no need to be vented under normal circumstances. If however there is an electrical fault or an imbalance on the charging system some manufacturers prefer to have the battery ' vented ' as an extra safety feature and vent pipes are available from RoadPro to fit the “Energy Bull” range. The boiling / gassing point of a Banner Energy Bull battery is 14.5V.

I disagree........ not utter tosh at all!

Banner have said on numerous places on their website that a vent should be used.

And referencing the Technical Documents from their website it states “...when installing indoors always use a degassing hose, which in an emergency will conduct gas outwards”

BEC5ED96-B61B-468A-AB31-3E5F69D7E931.png

So to use shouting language....

“ALWAYS USE A VENT TUBE IF INSTALLED INSIDE A VEHICLE”

Last edited:

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I disagree........ not utter tosh at all!

Banner have said on numerous places on their website that a vent should be used.

And referencing the Technical Documents from their website it states “...when installing indoors always use a degassing hose, which in an emergency will conduct gas outwards”

View attachment 402661

So to use shouting language....

“ALWAYS USE A VENT TUBE IF INSTALLED INSIDE A VEHICLE”

May I suggest that as I was only doing my best to assist you, you take your vent pipe and shove one end in the non existent vent hole in your battery and the other end...
John

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
NO VENT TUBE REQUIRED!

Funny how two people can take a completely conclusion from a simple statement, to me that says that the vent is a safety feature and for sure if the installation was not well ventilated I would want to fit vent pipes.

OP
OP
ShaKen

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
May I suggest that as I was only doing my best to assist you, you take your vent pipe and shove one end in the non existent vent hole in your battery and the other end...
John

Ah... but it DOES have a vent hole. That’s what I’ve been saying all along 😁

Look, I understand you were trying to help, but there are ways of helping and your method, including SHOUTING TEXT and calling other comments “utter tosh”, whilst being incorrect does not help.

And obviously from your last comment I can see that you enjoy taunting people to illicit a negative emotional response.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Ah... but it DOES have a vent hole. That’s what I’ve been saying all along 😁

Look, I understand you were trying to help, but there are ways of helping and your method, including SHOUTING TEXT and calling other comments “utter tosh”, whilst being incorrect does not help.

And obviously from your last comment I can see that you enjoy taunting people to illicit a negative emotional response.
.;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The part number denotes an Energy Bull battery. If it is an AGM battery then it is spill proof, and no vent is required. However, the blurb doesn't say what it is...
Banner AGM's do have a vent and it's recommended that you vent them, the vent has a pressure release valve so it's not an open vent.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Pretty sure we had that brand \ model of battery fitted as the leisure battery in our AT and replaced it last year (Varta LFD90) after about 6 years of use.
Not sure if it had that type of vent hole fitted but it certainly didn't have a vent tube attached.
The battery was located in an external locker so possibly would not have required one anyway(?).
Is yours located in an internal locker?

OP
OP
ShaKen

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Pretty sure we had that brand \ model of battery fitted as the leisure battery in our AT and replaced it last year (Varta LFD90) after about 6 years of use.
Not sure if it had that type of vent hole fitted but it certainly didn't have a vent tube attached.
The battery was located in an external locker so possibly would not have required one anyway(?).
Is yours located in an internal locker?

Yes, battery is beneath passenger seat.

And I don’t think they ship with the vent tube, thus I’ve just ordered one from a supplier.

Jan 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail imala
Exp
Ok problem solved - spoke to a battery dealer and they advised....

Yes - that is the vent hole
No - don’t remove the plug as it is a special valve; the vent fitting pushes over it into the hole.

FYI - This is for a Banner 95751 “Energy Bull” Leisure Battery.
I’m so glad I read this post as I’ve just bought two of the same batteries so I now have to purchase two vent tube. Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back