LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I'm looking to add a 'decent' Volt/Amp meter to my control panel (as it's very basic and expensive to change). I'm looking to spend up to about £50 and have been looking at these Chinese ones.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-Batter...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I wondered if anyone had experience of them, can spot any issues with them, or could recommend anything else in the up to £50 price range?

Also, anyone that has fitted anything similar to the panel above the door on a PVC I'd welcome any hints and tips! (y) :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi, I did buy one of the type you linked to above..
The one I bought had an external shunt to measure current...
They come with limited instructions and have a calibration sequence that you are supposed to follow...I never really got it sorted and think I damaged it in the process...
They are certainly not as easy to set up as the likes of the Bm1 nasa monitors but they are close to £100.
Having said that I know Alan @rupert got one with an internal shunt and fitted it and as far as I know it works but as I said it was a pain to calibrate... maybe if he sees this he will give his views...
My opinion is it would be worth installing the nasa type rather than the type you linked to...
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The first link may be OK but I doubt the quality at that price.

The second link does not appear to be able to pass much current, due to the use of an “internal shunt” and connections for wires of only minimal thickness.

Personally, I wouldn’t touch either. Don’t expect much support if you do.

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
便宜的中国狗屎不值得折腾

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The second one you linked to you can get in 50 & 100 amp versions with an external shunt. I fitted one to my last van it worked very well only negative point was the display updates 5 times a second so the display is constantly flickering.
Current van I spent £135 on a Victron unit and to be honest it is not much better.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back

I got that one with a 100amp shunt, works a treat, no need to calibrate. when I switch on my 3 watt led, it reads 3 watts when I switch on 4 of them it reads 12 watts. seems accurate enough. Voltage the same too all works

You can have the LED backlight on or off via the button on the side, and you can reset the power consumed display by a press and hold. easy to wire up just a bit of light 4 core and a very very high quality unit well built for the money.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I got that one with a 100amp shunt, works a treat, no need to calibrate. when I switch on my 3 watt led, it reads 3 watts when I switch on 4 of them it reads 12 watts. seems accurate enough. Voltage the same too all works

You can have the LED backlight on or off via the button on the side, and you can reset the power consumed display by a press and hold. easy to wire up just a bit of light 4 core and a very very high quality unit well built for the money.

Do you have a link to the one you got, please? (y)

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Picture below......

most-beautiful-women-bikini.jpg

instructions on the back of the unit and a child of 3 could wire it up... open up now here comes the choo choo train

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Picture below......

instructions on the back of the unit and a child of 3 could wire it up... open up now here comes the choo choo train

I like the look you're going for ... but as I've only been motor-homing for a couple of months it would be nice to know a bit more about 4 core, rather than hard core ;) and what else I need to prepare before the bits arrive (y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
most-beautiful-women-bikini.jpg

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I like the look you're going for ... but as I've only been motor-homing for a couple of months it would be nice to know a bit more about 4 core, rather than hard core ;) and what else I need to prepare before the bits arrive (y)

Ok, I’m no expert because I'm only 3:D so take my advice at you own risk.

The quick basics are: Disconnect the neg - terminal from the battery and connect to the shunt. You need a short link cable, same size as the ones on your battery, connect this to the other side of the shunt and the neg - of battery. The other 4 are self explanatory. 0.5mm wire should be ok but I’d put a 1amp inline fuse in the one to the pos + battery treminal.

Link cable here:

Hope that helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back