Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I don't know anything about the cheapo, but the Nasa is well regarded. Also consider Victron and Votronic but they'll all be over £100. If it were me, I would not go anywhere near a product claiming to be a battery computer at £12.50

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've got the Victron battery monitor

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282178038252

It displays;
Voltage
Amps in/out
Watts in/out
How many hours remaining based on current consumption
Percentage of battery remaining
Total amps consumed since last recharge

Its not the cheapest, but being Victron it's a great bit of kit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I know the condition of my batteries. : Starter battery: ,won't start so must be flat. Leisure batteries: No lights so must be flat ..so don't need expensive monitor . Lol

Deleted User
I would like to monitor what I will be using from my battery bank. Looking at monitors that will tell me how many amp hrs Ive used and state of battery level.

Why is the difference so great between these two for example?

Do you have one thats easy to use and can be recommended.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-90V-30...090671?hash=item2118542daf:g:P4AAAOSweWVXcph4

http://www.force4.co.uk/nasa-bm-2-c...YeGsgma-5e7O7a-vwncD6BoCWH3w_wcB#.WAj7gqOZPBI
I looked into this a while ago and the first one you have listed got a lot of poor reviews. The Nasa BM1 seems to be the one to go for, sometimes can get cheaper ones on Ebay - mine cost £59 ex demo but as new.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We've got the Victron battery monitor

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282178038252

It displays;
Voltage
Amps in/out
Watts in/out
How many hours remaining based on current consumption
Percentage of battery remaining
Total amps consumed since last recharge

Its not the cheaters, but being Victron it's a great bit of kit.
This looks intersting, did you add this as an extra to your MH? how easy is it to wire in to a vehicle with multiple batteries?
May look at getting one myself.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
This looks intersting, did you add this as an extra to your MH? how easy is it to wire in to a vehicle with multiple batteries?
May look at getting one myself.
I had it fitted by Vanbitz but it's possible to fit DIY
It has a shunt that needs to be connected to the main neutral battery terminal and the neutral cable. All power in and out goes through this shunt
Check out the Victon website for full info and fitting guides

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
The 12 quid one has no shunt, you'll need this to connect (bridge) between the neg terminal of your battery bank and the load. This shunt will have smaller (remote if you will) cables that connect to the meter, and a pos wire from the meter you can tap into a live (pos) supply Its this shunt that carries the high current and give a reading to the remote meter. Otherwise you would have to take big cables up to the meter placing it "in circuit" for it to tell you what amps you are using. This 12 quid one will work fine on small loads but not in a Mohome (in my opinion, if I read what you want to use it for) The victron or Nasa will come with a shunt (probably, cos I'm too broke to ever own one)

Well I think thats correct about shunts!! (robert clark beat me to it by 4 mins Ha ha)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I had it fitted by Vanbitz but it's possible to fit DIY
It has a shunt that needs to be connected to the main neutral battery terminal and the neutral cable. All power in and out goes through this shunt
Check out the Victon website for full info and fitting guides
Thanks, just found a manual for it. I will get them to install one on my visit down there when i get the new van.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have had both the NASA and the VICTRON one ones. The victron was a huge margin better and worth spending a few Extra £'s on..

I have my eye on doing a battery monitor once my fridge fan project is done.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just found this on YouTube

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Handy to know, they do do bigger ones with an ext shunt up to 600a.... quite cheap considering
I think your confusing shunt capacity with battery bank capacity.

BM1 shunt is rated at 100 amps
BM2 shunt is rated at 200 amps

Both are rated at a battery capacity up to 600 amps

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think your confusing shunt capacity with battery bank capacity.

BM1 shunt is rated at 100 amps
BM2 shunt is rated at 200 amps

Both are rated at a battery capacity up to 600 amps

Now Im really confused. Which one would I need for 4 batteries?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I use one pf thecheap Chinese ones and it works very well. I don't bother setting it up for capacity just use it to monitor current and voltage.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
@ Irnbru... 1 or 4 batteries makes no odds its one big battery in parallel, its how much in total in amps will you be expecting to draw in one go. ie if you have a 2000 watt inverter running a microwave you will pulling a lot of amps.

Some one will be along to clarify no doubt, better than i can

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The cheap Chinese jobs can be bought complete with shunts of various ratings I believe...
The only problem I found was to use them to their full potential the set up procedure to calibrate them was a pain,but I see @Lenny HB says they can be used for basic monitoring of voltage and current and ignore the battery capacity function...
So Sandra @irnbru it's yours if you want it lol... been lying around the house for over a year...
Andy..

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Do you have one thats easy to use and can be recommended.

The cheap one will be all you need, in fact, I think I'll buy one myself.
You'll rarely have more than 30A in or out unless you have an hair dryer ect
Really all you need is an accurate volt meter, whats going in or out is useful but an accurate voltage reading tells you what you have left in the batteries. Never have less than 12.2V ------- IMHO:blush:

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have the cheap one on a setup for an seperate battery and inverter. It works well, has a separate shunt 300A, easy enough to wire up, but we have not managed to calibrate the current, so like @Lenny HB just use to monitor voltage.

The reason we cannot calibrate current is because we do not know what we are doing and need something that draws 280Amps, lots of head scratching.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
We have the cheap one on a setup for an seperate battery and inverter. It works well, has a separate shunt 300A, easy enough to wire up, but we have not managed to calibrate the current, so like @Lenny HB just use to monitor voltage.

The reason we cannot calibrate current is because we do not know what we are doing and need something that draws 280Amps, lots of head scratching.
That's what put me off trying it out..ie the high load toget it calibrated
Andy

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Really all you need is an accurate volt meter, whats going in or out is useful but an accurate voltage reading tells you what you have left in the batteries. Never have less than 12.2V ------- IMHO:blush:
See this is where i need some help , when you say never have less than "X" amount of power in the battery , is that the reading when its under load or is it say like 30 mins after the battery was under load.
If its after it has rested after being under load , then how can you ascertain figure "X" when using it ( e.g. under load )

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Do what I do, use you battery, then hang a bit of seaweed out of your window to see what you have used (not helpful is it!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back