Battery Cycles (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
No, I’m not talking e-bikes. I’m trying to find out what the definition is when describing the number of cycles a battery is able to sustain. It seems that it’s as short as a piece of string – or is it?

A battery with a life of 300 cycles could only last a year being used and recharged on a daily basis. So it seems that Ah ought to be a part of this equation. Without a more specific unit of measure I feel that the values bandied about ought to be taken with a similar amount of Sodium Chloride.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I believe if you only use 5% of the battery capacity and then recharge it you can do this 20 times to = 1 cycle, what % discharge counts to a cycle I am not sure though I would guess between 50% and 80% depending on the battery spec.

Martin

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You also need to add DOD to complete the equation. DOD is depth of discharge and I would expect to see 50% in the specification. So, if you take the Banner Lead Acid battery for instance it states 200 cycles at 50% DOD. Which means you can discharge the battery 50% and fully recharge 200 times before the battery failes. Clearly, if you only discharge your battery 20% before re charging your going to get a shed load more cycles.
To ensure you select the right type of leisure battery you may want to have a this. I use a class B battery and I'm mostly off hook up.

http://www.thencc.org.uk/our_schemes/ncc_verified_leisure_battery_scheme.aspx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'd expect there to be some kind of exponential relationship between the number of cycles you can perform and the DoD it's taken to before recharging. You could 'tickle' a battery many more times than you could 'thump' it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'd expect there to be some kind of exponential relationship between the number of cycles you can perform and the DoD it's taken to before recharging. You could 'tickle' a battery many more times than you could 'thump' it.
Indeed there would be a lot of variables, length of time discharged before full recharge being another killer.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back