Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Threads on here about batteries, especially leisure batteries, people often refer to charging cycles, i.e. the number of times the batteries can be charged.
What constitutes a charge?
Is it from deep discharge, 50%, or does a charging cycle include topping up just 5%?
Going to need a starter battery very soon for a 130 Ducato (2011). This is the original one so it's given good service.
Replacement suggestions welcomed. Don't necessarily want cheap, much prefer quality.
Geoff

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It depends on the manufacturer. Look at their specs as some state 80% some 50% etc...
The number of cycles you get out of a lead acid battery depends on how deeply you discharge...

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You have almost answered your own question. A leisure batteries life is specified by the number of cycles at a given depth of discharge. i.e. 200 Cycles at 50% discharge. This simply means the battery can be discharged to 50% of its capacity and then fully recharged which constitutes one cycle. If you discharge the battery less, say by only 20% and then recharge it, your going to get a shed load more cycles (although I'm not certain of the maths on this and if it works on a logarithmic scale). Also, if you discharge more than 50% your going to get less cycles. Two years ago my batteries were fully charged at 12.7 V and suddenly failed because they had used up all there capacity. I could have charged them up for ever and a day but they were done!
As for replacements, if you want Lead acid batteries, I would recommend Banner 95751, But and this is a big 'but' I do not know the application you want to use them for (i.e. always off hook up, always on hook up etc, etc,) Your charger set up etc, etc,. So may i suggest you have a look at this and choose one from there list. http://www.thencc.org.uk/our_schemes/ncc_verified_leisure_battery_scheme.aspx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
The Dotties

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
The set up I have got is two leisure batteries x2 @ 120amps each on a fiat based auto trail Dakota.
I have a 100 watt? Solar panel controlled by a Sargent 500 system.
Mix of hook up and battery on sites, biased towards non ehu.

I do not know the make or even the capacity of the starter battery as I cannot see it.
It is lead acid type no maintainence.
The charger, in fact everything, is standard Sargent. Strikeback, no start/tracker and radio on the starter battery. Ehu at home when needed.
Geoff

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I too have the Sargent system on a 2011 Autotrail. My charger recommends not exceeding 220 Amps on my battery bank. (2x100AH Banner lead Acid batteries)(I check and top up about every 6 months). All my batteries are lead acid and the Sargent charger maintains them all very efficiently. I do not have to worry about AGM or Gel or even a combination of these batteries. The cab battery is, I believe a 90AH starter battery as standard for all Fiat X250. (I topped up for the first time last year) I also have a 125 W solar panel wired into the factory fitted Sargent controller and this looks after both sets of batteries when off hook up. I also have a 120 W suitcase solar panel for topping up batteries in the winter sun when wilding in Europe. This year we spent almost 5 months in Europe and 99% of the time off hook up. I also have a 300 W inverter which is only used occasional, almost everything else, phones, tablets, Tv's etc is run of the 12 volt system.
I am of the view your set up is more than adequate for your needs and I would choose a class B battery as described in the NCC verification list and also stay with lead acid. You know exactly what your getting, your charger will maintain it in good order and they will perform consistently and after 4-6 years with normal usage, they will need replacing.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
OK, I have to make a choice about what second leisure battery I should go for. I understand Varta are regarded highly, Banner, well erm..... 'less so'! While I would favour a Varta, the size that will fit the battery box will be 90ah. At present my Banner leisure battery is 100ah. So I could get a second Banner 100ah or add the Varta 90ah which would reduce them both to 90ah. Which way should I go? And what would the difference be?

Wyn

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
OK, I have to make a choice about what second leisure battery I should go for. I understand Varta are regarded highly, Banner, well erm..... 'less so'! While I would favour a Varta, the size that will fit the battery box will be 90ah. At present my Banner leisure battery is 100ah. So I could get a second Banner 100ah or add the Varta 90ah which would reduce them both to 90ah. Which way should I go? And what would the difference be?

Wyn
There have been members who have repeatedly reported that Banner batteries are no good and you only have to read the German forums to confirm this. I recently read about Banner batteries on the German forums and whilst there was a lot of complaint about Banner batteries failing, it turns out that these are not the lead acid batteries but the AGM batteries and not because of a failure within the battery but because the charger could not provide the correct charging regime. It was the elcoblock charger (not quite right name but similer) and was happening to hundreds of motorhomes fitted with this charger. There are also reports of the Varta batteries failing with the same charger. Banner have been fitted to thousands of motorhomes whilst Varta is still relatively new and as of yet un proven. Idealy, you should fit like for like batteries so they behave and charge in the same way. If I was you, I would get another Banner or two Varta batteries if Varta is your preferred choice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back