Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Hi all, this is Mr Threecats here

We had a new main battery fitted two weeks ago, went to Chester and have just had to call the RAC out again! The engineer reckons it is the relay switch between the leisure battery and the main that is draining the system, is this something that I need to take to a motorhome garage dealer or can a normal garage fix

Gorsecover59

Free Member
Jun 6, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Swift,Lifestyle 530l
Exp
new
Any auto electrician should be able to deal with this.
Or even most competent electricians if you are unable to change yourself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Gorsecover59

Free Member
Jun 6, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Swift,Lifestyle 530l
Exp
new
Your van looks of a similar age and type to mine.
I have a swift lifestyle (sundance) 530l.

Were both the Leisure and the Cab battery flat?
Did this happen off hook up while camping?
Did you monitor the state of your batterys?

I ask these questions as if the relay to the engine battery did not "drop out" when ignition switched off you have effectively linked both batteries together.So if that were the case you used the power available from both batteries,assuming there was no leakage to earth.
Next question how do you monitor battery condition?As you effectively used twice as much power as you should have done.
I wonder if the problem may have highlighted an issue to do with battery usage and consumption as well as a relay issue.

On my van which is on a 2002 Ducato base the relays are under the bonnet staring at you as you lift the bonnet.Under a plastic cover.Several relays and 3 fuses. Fuses are for Fridge on 12v supply.............alternator to Leisure Battery and alternator to Cab battery.The theory is that when you switch on ignition and start engine relay is energised allowing charge to both batteries.When you switch off engine relay opens to stop batteries being
linked and discharging both.

Hope these babblings from the padded cell help.
Martin

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back